CUCET Syllabus 2015 for M. Sc. Physics (MSCP)
M. Sc. Physics (MSCP) is Offered by CU Kerala and CU Rajasthan
The Question paper will have common Part A and Subject specific Part B
Part A: It will be of 45 minutes duration and will have 35 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs), with four options: only one correct. Each question carries one mark. There is no negative marking. Part A is intended to test the applicants; general awareness, reasoning, analytical skills and proficiency in English language.
Part B: will be subject specific, of 75 minutes duration and will have 65 MCQs with four options: only one correct. Each question carries one mark. There is no negative marking.
Topics for Subject Specific Part B:
- Mechanics- Newtonian mechanics, Rigid body dynamics, Introductory Classical mechanics
- Electromagnetic theory – Electrostatics, Current electricity, Chemical, thermal and Magnetic Effects of Current, Magnetism, Maxwell’s equations, Electromagnetic waves
- Optics – lenses, mirror, speed of light, interference, diffraction, polarization, optical fibers, laser
- Thermodynamics – Laws of thermodynamics, Heat engines, Entropy, Thermodynamic potentials, Phase transitions
- Statistical mechanics – Classical statistics, Fermi-Dirac and Bose – Einstein statistics
- Quantum mechanics – Need of quantum physics, black body radiation, photoelectric effect, Wave – particle duality, de Broglie hypothesis, uncertainty principle, operator algebra, particle in a box problem.
- Atomic physics – Atomic models – Rutherford, Bohr, Sommerfeld, Vector ; Quantum numbers, Spectral lines, Spectral notations, Stark effect, Zeeman effect, Atomic spectroscopic techniques, etc
- X-rays – Generation of X-rays, Continuous and characteristic spectrum , Applications
- Nuclear Physics – Constituents of nucleus, Atomic number, mass number, nuclear reactions, nuclear fission and fusion, applications
- Molecular Spectroscopy – Introductory molecular spectroscopy – microwave, IR, Raman, ESR, NMR, Moussbaur (introductory level)
- Solid state physics – lattice, unit cell, space group, point group, X-ray diffraction, band structure, metals, semiconductors, insulators, magnetic materials, super conductivity
- Electronics – Electronic devices and circuits, OPAMPs, Digital electronics (introductory level) Mathematical Physics – Vectors, Matrices, differentiation, Integration, Differential equations
Sample Questions ( PART A)
1. Find the odd one from the given alternatives
- (A) US Dollar
- (B) British Pounds
- (C) Indian Rupee
- (D) Japanese Yen
2. What is the next number in the series 4, 9, 16, 25, ….?
- (A) 32
- (B) 36
- (C) 41
- (D) 50
3. Select the missing word.
How do you distinguish ———- air type and string type musical instruments
- (A) from
- (B) between
- (C) about
- (D) upon
Sample Questions ( PART B)
1. Melting point of ice _____________.
- (A) increases with increase of pressure
- (B) decreases with increase of Pressure
- (C) is independent of Changes in Pressure
- (D) none of the above
2 Which is wrong about light emitting diodes?
- (A) They are used in remote controls for TV/VCR
- (B) We do not see the emitted light
- (C) They emit IR light
- (D) They emit UV light