IIT Guwahati Admissions 2014
The Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati (IIT G) offers B.Tech, M.Tech, M.Des, PhD and dual degree programmes. Details of admissions in the premier institute IIT Guwahati, are given here.
IIT Guwahati B.Tech Admissions
Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati presently conducts the following Programmes in the bachelors level :
Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech ): Four years ( 8 semesters ) programme in:
- Chemical Engineering
- Chemical Science and Technology
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Electronics and Electrical Engineering
- Engineering Physics
- Mathematics & Computing
- Mechanical Engineering
Bachelor of Design (B.Des.): Four years ( 8 semesters )
Students are selected for admission to the above programmes through Joint Entrance Examination for IITs (IIT-JEE).
The grading is on a 10-point scale. All courses are given certain credits. The number of credits is twice the number of hours of class you will attend for that course per week. At the end of the semester you will receive the grades in the respective courses based on your performance. Each grade has certain points like 10,9,8,7,6,5,4 for AA, AB, BB, BC, CC, CD, DD respectively. The credits are multiplied by the points and the sum is divided by the total number of credits you have registered for and you get your SPI. The SPI obtained in subsequent semesters would amount to cumulative SPI (CPI).
IIT Guwahati Admissions 2014 Branch Change
There is a provision for branch change. This is done after first year and depends on CPI after two semesters. Excerpts from the B Tech/B Des rules and regulations (Clauses 6.1 – 6.9) change of branch are noted below.
- Only those students will be considered eligible for change of branch/programme after the second semester, who have completed all the common credits required in the first two semesters of their studies in their first attempt, without having had to pass any course requirement in the summer term examination.
- Students may enlist their choices of branch/programme, in order of preference, to which they wish to change over. It will not be permissible to alter the choices after the application has been submitted.
- Change of branch/programme shall be made strictly in order of merit of the applicants. For this purpose the CPI obtained at the end of the second semester shall be considered. In case of a tie, the JEE rank of the applicants will be considered.
- The applicants may be allowed a change in branch/ programme, strictly in order of inter se merit, subject to the limitation that the strength of a branch should not fall below the existing strength by more than ten percent and should not go above the sanctioned strength by more than ten percent.
- All changes of branch/programme made in accordance with the above rules will be effective from the third semester of the applicants concerned. No change of branch/programme shall be permitted after this.
- Students may opt for a Minor in a discipline other than the discipline he/she is registered in. Students completing a minor will have the minor mentioned in the degree certificate and in the final grade card.
- The credit requirements for a minor discipline will be in the range of 30 – 36 credits. The minor courses will spread over the third to seventh semesters of a B.Tech/B.Des programme with one course per semester.
- Only those students who have completed all the credits required in the first two semesters of their studies with a CPI of 6.5 or above, will be eligible for a minor discipline after the end of second semester.
- The number of seats in each minor discipline will be as per decision of the Senate of IIT Guwahati. However, a minor discipline will not be available if the number of applicants in that discipline is less than five.
- Selection to minor disciplines shall be made strictly in order of merit of the applicants.
- Joining the minor disciplines carried out in accordance with the above rules will be effective from the third semester of the applicants concerned. No change of minor discipline shall be permitted after this.
- A student with only minor courses remaining as backlogs at the beginning of a semester (other than a summer semester) will be deemed to have completed the B. Tech. programme and he/she will be awarded a B.Tech./B.Des. Degree without a minor.
The Joint Entrance Examination (Advanced) is a common admission test for students seeking admission to undergraduate programmes of all IITs and ISM Dhanbad. To know more about JEE Advanced Exam, Click Here.
To be eligible to write JEE (Advanced), the candidates have to first appear in the JEE (Main) conducted by JEE Apex Board, in the month of April. To know more about JEE Main Exam, Click Here.
JEE(Advanced) is conducted by IITs in the month of June. Only the top 1,50,000 scorers in JEE (Main), which includes students from all categories (GE, OBC (NCL), SC, ST and PD) will be eligible to appear in JEE (Advanced). The JEE (Advanced) will have two objective type papers. Each paper will consist of Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. Duration of each paper will be 3-hours. Question papers will be in both English and Hindi.
IIT Guwahati Cut Offs
- IIT Guwahati Opening and Closing Ranks 2011
- IIT Guwahati Opening and Closing Ranks 2012
- IIT Guwahati Opening and Closing Ranks 2013
IIT Guwahati PG Admissions