Knowledge about the resources that can assist or guide you in your preparation is half the battle. As far as JEE and other engineering entrance exams are concerned, NCERT is necessary but not sufficient. Here is the list of books which I found resourceful and which I would recommend.
Best Physics Books for IIT JEE Preparation:
- Concepts of Physics by H. C. Verma
- Understanding Physics by DC Pandey
- Practice Book Physics for JEE Main and Advanced by DC Pandey
- Wiley’s Halliday / Resnick / Walker Physics for JEE (Main & Advanced) by Halliday, Resnick and Walker
- Problems in General Physics by I. E. Irodov
Best Mathematics Books for IIT JEE Preparation:
- Cengage Maths by G TIWANI
- Comprehensive Mathematics for JEE Advanced by Tata McGraw Hill publications
- Problems Plus in IIT Mathematics by A Das Gupta
- Arihant Problem Book in Mathematics for IIT JEE by SK Goyal
Best Chemistry Books for IIT JEE Preparation:
Chemistry is divided roughly into a) General Chemistry with a huge emphasis on Physical Chemistry, b) Organic Chemistry and c) Inorganic Chemistry.
- NCERT Textbook
- Problems in Physical Chemistry for JEE (Main & Advanced) by Narendra Awasthi
- Organic Chemistry by Morrison and Boyd for Organic Chemistry
- Concise Inorganic Chemistry by J. D. Lee for Inorganic Chemistry
- Modern Approach to Chemical Calculations by RC Mukherjee
Two significant points to keep in mind when buying books for IIT JEE :
- Do not underestimate the NCERTs. Read the NCERT chapters thoroughly, solved examples and summary is of great help. NCERT textbooks are written by a team of authors who are all experts in their specific zones.
- You can just check the list of best books for IIT JEE preparation that are mentioned above. The main idea is to understand the theory behind some of the more difficult topics that may not be covered in the NCERT textbooks.
Majority of the students tend to follow or study those books and guides that have been suggested by their tutors and teachers. There is no harm in it as these books have very minute details, which will help them to solve the problems. But, if I would ask the students to refer to NCERT books they would be surprised. This is because many people are having a traditional belief that board text books are of no use when it comes to JEE preparation and simply ignore them. JEE toppers have proved the point that it is almost next to impossible to crack JEE or any other competitive exam in India without referring to NCERT books.
Importance of NCERT books which few might know:
NCERT books are written by experts after enormous research. The information that they give or the facts and figures compiled together in textbook are always accurate and can never misguide you.
The clear vision of basic concepts and strong theories plays a very vital role in clearing of JEE examinations or any other competitive exams. It is written in very simple and easy to understand language, NCERT books have proper definitions for all the concepts that would help you to enhance your knowledge and strengthen your concepts. It would be appropriate to say that NCERT books are very organized books, with step by step details.
Since, the NCERT books are so simple and self sufficient that they can save your time easily, that you might lose if you directly jump to high level books. These books should be used or referred to, but not when you are looking to strengthen your theories and concepts.
There might be fewer questions in the book for practice, but all the questions and the examples that are given in NCERT books cover all the important aspects of the syllabus. There are many a time when the questions in the paper have directly been taken from these books. A simple example in the NCERT Book could be put as a tricky question in the examination.