Calcutta University RET Geology 2018 – Applications in plain paper are invited from eligible candidates for RET in Geology, CU. The eligibility for appearing at the RET examination is M.Sc. (Geology) or M.Sc. (Applied Geology) as per existing rule of C.U. [Appeared candidates will not be allowed to submit applications for RET]. Candidates can check the complete information of Calcutta University RET Geology 2018 like application process, eligibility criteria, and other information through this page below.
Calcutta University RET Geology 2018
- Interview for candidates declared successful in the RET (written part) and also for the candidates who have already cleared eligibility tests like NET, GATE, SLET etc., or, having M.Phil., or M.Tech.
- Declaration of the name(s) of successful candidates in the RET will be displayed on the Notice Board of the Department of Geology, the University of Calcutta after due approval of the result by the honorable Vice- Chancellor, C.U.
- The present maximum intake for Ph.D. is 30 (under the supervision of existing faculty members of Department of Geology, University of Calcutta, and other eligible supervisors)
|Last date for submission of application by the candidates in plain paper||4th week of Feb 2018|
|Date of Commencement of RET (written part)||4th week of Feb 2018|
|Declaration of result||1st week of Mar 2018|
|Date of commencement of RET (interview part)||1st week of Mar 2018|
Official Website of Calcutta University: www.caluniv.ac.in
Applications in plain paper are invited from eligible candidates for RET in Geology, CU as per the format is given below:
- Name of the Candidate :
- (A recent signed passport-size photograph of the candidate to be affixed at the top right-hand corner of the application)
- Address for communication :
- Father’s Name/ Husband’s Name :
- Contact telephone number (s):
- Landline :
- E-mail :
- Date of birth :
- Whether belong to SC/ST or other reserved categories (specify):
- Name of the last examination passed with the year of passing : [Educational qualification supported by attested photocopies of testimonials (starting from B.Sc. level), mentioning name of the examination, subjects taken, name of the College/University from where passed, percentage of marks, class/grade point average(where available), year of passing ]:
- Whether already qualified at national level tests like NET, GATE, SLET, or have obtained M.Phil, M.Tech etc. :
- [Provide the name of above examination passed, year of passing, and photocopy of the validity period of the score if applicable. Attach attested NET/GATE/SLET/M.Phil /M.Tech certificate/diploma.
- Are you currently employed? Yes/No : [If employed, then provide name & address of the organization, and the present designation held]:
- Department and Institution/University where the candidate desires to carry out his/her research:
- Title and abstract of candidate’s M.Sc. / M.Sc.(Tech) / M.Tech / M.Phil thesis/dissertation.:
[Separate enclosure(s) may be used and properly referred to for the abstract(s)]
- The preferred discipline of proposed Ph.D. research ( Sedimentology, Petrology, Structural Geology, etc) and broad theme of the proposed Ph.D. research (within 250 words) :
(This write-up must be forwarded by an eligible supervisor who is willing to supervise the proposed Ph.D. work)
- Signature of the candidate
Each candidate should apply in the prescribed format by paying a fee of Rs. 100/- at the cash counter of University of Calcutta. A photocopy of the challan of RET examination fee deposited by the candidate must be attached to the application of the candidate for the RET.
Important Point to Note
- RET in Geology will comprise of written examination followed by an interview to be conducted by the Department of Geology, the University of Calcutta as per existing CU norms.
- RET written examination: Candidates who have already passed any national level tests like NET, GATE, SLET or, have obtained M.Phil, or M.Tech, with examination scores valid on the day of holding the RET written examination need not appear again for the written examination. However, those candidates must appear at the interview-part of RET.
- All the questions in the written examination of RET are compulsory. The Full marks of RET will be 50.
- The questions in the written test of RET will comprise two parts: Group-A(10 marks): one broad answer type of questions (answer to be given in approx. 250 words) Group-B : (40 marks): twenty short answer type of questions (each question bears 2 marks).
- All candidates appearing at the RET written part will need to answer all questions. Questions will be set in such a way that the grasp of the candidate in different branches of Earth Sciences could be evaluated.
- The syllabus for RET written examination will be based on the current M.Sc. (Applied Geology) syllabus of the University of Calcutta, and the current B.Sc. Geology (Honours) syllabus of the University of Calcutta.
- RET interview: RET Interview will be conducted for the candidates declared successful in the written examination held during the same selection process and also for the candidates successful in the national level tests, or, having M.Phil. or M.Tech with the result of such tests/degrees/diplomas valid on the day of the written part of RET. Candidates will be interviewed by the members of the faculty of the Department of Geology, University of Calcutta, and any other expert(s) invited by the Departmental Committee, to assess the candidate’s ability to perform research-work in the discipline opted by the candidate.
- Selected candidate(s) will take up doctoral research projects under the guidance of a willing supervisor(s) with research interest matching that of the candidate(s) as mentioned in his/her application for RET. Suitable tagging of candidates with supervisors will be accomplished.
- Candidates must have M.Sc. / M.Sc.(Tech) / M.Tech /or equivalent qualification at the time of submitting the application for RET.
Click here for 2017’s Official Notification.
Insofar, official details of Calcutta University RET 2018 have not been announced. Information on this page is as per last year brochure and for reference purpose only. As soon as Calcutta University releases Calcutta University RET 2018 information brochure, details will be updated here.