GATE Syllabus for Aerospace Engineering (AE): The syllabus for GATE Aerospace Engineering 2021 can be checked from this page. The syllabus for all the 27 subjects is different in GATE 2021. In the Aerospace Engineering syllabus, there are 6 sections. Each section has been divided into 2 categories- Core Topics and Special Topics. The corresponding sections in the GATE 2021 question paper will have 90% of their questions from Core Topics and the remaining 10% questions will be asked from the Special Topics. The syllabus for all the subjects in the GATE 2021 is available on the official website of GATE 2021. For the Aerospace Engineering syllabus, candidates can check it from this page.
GATE 2021 Aerospace Engineering Syllabus
The syllabus for GATE 2021 Aerospace Engineering includes 6 sections – Engineering Mathematics, Flight Mechanics, Space Dynamics, Aerodynamics, Structures, and Propulsions. In each section, topics are divided into two categories – Core topics & Special topics. The corresponding sections of the question paper will contain 90% of their questions on Core Topics and the remaining 10% on Special topics. The syllabus of all the 27 subjects in GATE 2021 is available on the official website of IIT Bombay. Check the detailed syllabus below.
In each of the following subjects, the topics have been divided into two categories – Core Topics and Special Topics. The corresponding sections of the
the question paper will contain 90% of their questions on Core Topics and the remaining 10% on Special Topics.
Section1: Engineering Mathematics
Linear Algebra: Vector algebra, Matrix algebra, systems of linear equations, the rank of a matrix, eigenvalues, and eigenvectors.
Calculus: Functions of single variable, limits, continuity and differentiability, mean value theorem, chain rule, partial derivatives, maxima and minima, gradient, divergence and curl, directional derivatives. Integration, Line, surface, and volume integrals. Theorems of Stokes, Gauss, and Green.
Differential Equations: First order linear and nonlinear differential equations, higher-order linear ODEs with constant coefficients. Partial differential equations and separation of variables methods.
Special Topics: Fourier Series, Laplace Transforms, Numerical methods for linear and nonlinear algebraic equations, Numerical integration and differentiation. Complex analysis. Probability and statistics.
Section 2: Flight Mechanics
Basics Atmosphere: Properties, standard atmosphere. Classification of aircraft. Airplane (fixed-wing aircraft) configuration and various parts. Pressure altitude; equivalent, calibrated, indicated air speeds; Primary flight instruments: Altimeter, ASI, VSI, Turn-bank indicator. The angle of attack, sideslip; Roll, pitch & yaw controls. Aerodynamic forces and moments.
Airplane performance: Drag polar; takeoff and landing; steady climb & descent; absolute and service ceiling; range and endurance, load factor, turning flight, V-n diagram. Winds: head, tail & crosswinds.
Static stability: Stability & control derivatives; longitudinal stick fixed & free stability; horizontal tail position and size; directional stability, vertical tail position, and size; lateral stability. Wing dihedral, sweep & position; hinge moments, stick forces.
Special Topics: Dynamic stability: Euler angles; Equations of motion; Decoupling of longitudinal and lateral-directional dynamics; longitudinal modes; lateral-directional modes
Section 3: Space Dynamics
Central force motion, determination of trajectory, and orbital period in simple cases. Kepler’s laws; escape velocity.
No Special Topics:
Section 4: Aerodynamics
Basic Fluid Mechanics: Conservation laws: Mass, momentum and energy (Integral and differential form); Dimensional analysis and dynamic similarity;
Potential flow theory: sources, sinks, doublets, line vortex and their superposition. Elementary ideas of viscous flows including boundary layers.
Airfoils and wings: Airfoil nomenclature; Aerodynamic coefficients: lift, drag and moment; KuttaJoukoswki theorem; Thin airfoil theory, Kutta condition, starting vortex;
Finite wing theory: Induced drag, Prandtl lifting line theory; Critical and drag divergence Mach number. Compressible Flows Basic concepts of compressibility, One-dimensional compressible flows, Isentropic flows, Fanno flow, Rayleigh flow; Normal and oblique shocks, Prandtl-Meyer flow; Flow-through nozzles and diffusers.
Special Topics: Wind Tunnel Testing: Measurement and visualization techniques. Shock – boundary layer interaction.
Section 5: Structures
Strength of Materials: Stress and strain: Three-dimensional transformations, Mohr’s circle, principal stresses, Three-dimensional Hooke’s law, Plane stress, and strain. Failure theories: Maximum stress, Tresca von Mises. Strain energy. Castigliano’s principles. Statically determinate and indeterminate trusses and beams. Elastic flexural buckling of columns.
Flight vehicle structures: Characteristics of aircraft structures and materials. Torsion, bending and shear of thin-walled sections. Loads on aircraft.
Structural Dynamics: Free and forced vibrations of undamped and damped SDOF systems. Free vibrations of undamped 2-DOF systems.
Special Topics: Vibration of beams. Theory of elasticity: Equilibrium and compatibility equations, Airy’s stress function.
Section 6: Propulsion
Basics: Thermodynamics, boundary layers, heat transfer, combustion and thermochemistry. Aerothermodynamics of aircraft engines: Thrust, efficiency, range. Brayton cycle.
Engine performance: ramjet, turbojet, turbofan, turboprop, and turboshaft engines. Afterburners. Turbomachinery: Axial compressors: Angular momentum, work, and compression, the characteristic performance of a single axial compressor stage, efficiency of the compressor and degree of reaction, multi-staging.
Centrifugal compressor: Stage dynamics, inducer, impeller and diffuser.
Axial turbines: Stage performance.
Rockets: Thrust equation and specific impulse, rocket performance. Multi-staging. Chemical rockets. Performance of solid and liquid propellant rockets.
Special Topics: Aerothermodynamics of non-rotating propulsion components such as intakes, combustor and nozzle. Turbine blade cooling. Compressor-turbine matching, Surge and stall.
GATE 2021 General Aptitude Syllabus
The syllabus for General Aptitude remains the same in all the subjects papers of GATE 2021. There will be 10 questions in this section and the rest 55 questions will be subject-based. From these 10 questions, 5 questions will be of 1 mark each and the remaining 5 questions will be of 2 marks each. In General Aptitude, there are two sections – Verbal Ability and Numerical Ability.
The General Aptitude syllabus is given below.
Verbal Ability: English grammar, sentence completion, verbal analogies, word groups, instructions, critical reasoning, and verbal deduction.
Numerical Ability: Numerical computation, numerical estimation, numerical reasoning and data interpretation.
GATE Exam Pattern/ Marking Scheme for Aerospace Engineering
Before you start your GATE 2021 preparation, you must go through the exam pattern and the marking scheme of the exam. It is important to have some awareness of them so that you get an idea about the pattern of the questions and the difficulty level of the questions. Below we have given both the exam pattern and the marking scheme of the exam. Candidates can go through them.
|Section||Distribution of Marks||Total Marks||Types of questions|
|GA||5 questions of 1 mark each|
5 questions of 2 marks each
|AE-Subject-Based||25 questions of 1 mark each|
30 questions of 2 marks each
|85 marks||MCQs and NATs|
- The exam is conducted through online mode and is a Computer Based Test (CBT).
- Duration of the exam is 3 hours.
- There will be two types of questions in GATE – MCQs and NATs.
- There will be 3 sections in the exam – General Aptitude, Mathematics and Subject- wise.
- Total no. of questions is 65.
- The exam will hold a total of 100 marks.
- Negative marking will be only for the MCQs.
|Type of question||Negative marking for wrong answer||Marking for correct answer|
|MCQs||⅓ for 1 mark questions|
⅔ for 2 marks questions
|1 or 2 marks|
|NATs||No negative marking||1 or 2 marks|
How To Prepare for Aerospace Engineering?
GATE 2021 preparation should start early. What you need is a smart strategy that will be your blueprint to follow for the rest of your preparation period. An early start will give you more time to invest in solving mocks and sample papers. You must prepare with full dedication. There are some preparation tips that we have mentioned below. Candidates must go through them and follow them religiously to improve the quality of their preparation.
Updation is important
You must keep yourself updated with the exam pattern, marking scheme and the syllabus of the exam. This will help you prepare correct and better. For more information regarding the GATE 2021, read the information brochure carefully. Candidates can find the brochure on the official website of GATE.
Study according to the schedule
Prepare an effective schedule that allots time to the topics according to your preparation and the difficulty level of the topics. Study the subject daily. Don’t take breaks for a couple of days as it breaks the flow of preparation. Don’t just focus on preparing for the subject. The general aptitude section is also important as it carries 15 marks. If practice enough then you can easily secure those 15 marks.
Practicing extensively should be your only motto. Practice ruthlessly and continuously. It will increase your speed noticeably over a period of time. Along with speed, your accuracy will also improve which is the second important thing in the exam first being the speed. The more you practice, the closer you get to that dream rank. Practice a variety of questions from different difficulty levels.
Solve Mocks and Question papers
The most important part of learning is the testing of that learning. Without actually testing your preparation you cannot be sure of your progress. This is why you should focus on solving as many mocks as you can. They will help you monitor your time and manage it as well. Take weekly, monthly and topic-wise mock tests. Also, solve sample papers with and without solutions. Later cross check your answers. Identify your weak topics and improve them with more practice.
You must cover your entire syllabus in about 4-5 months. Don’t think of skipping any topic or subtopic. There is enough time to complete the syllabus and still have the last one month for revision. If in case you are left with some topic that you could not cover during your preparation period then you must be aware of the concept. Even a basic understanding of the said topic would be enough.
GATE Aerospace Engineering Books for Preparation
Your study material should be completely authorized. You must check the material if it is from a renowned publication or not before using it. Do not prepare from just any book. It should be from a known author only. You can also check reviews for certain books just to be on the safer side. We have recommended a few books for your preparation below.
|Title of the book||Name of the Author/ Publication||Link to buy|
|GATE 2021 Aerospace Engineering – 13 Years Section-wise Solved Paper||GKP||LINK|
|Aerospace Engineering Solved & Mock Papers GATE 2021||Anshul Khandelwal||LINK|
What is Aerospace Engineering?
Aerospace Engineering is the primary field of engineering that deals with the development of aircraft and spacecraft. The field has two major as well as overlapping branches which are Aeronautical and Astronautical engineering. The field was earlier named as the Aeronautical engineering. The field imparts skills and knowledge of designing and manufacturing of aircraft, spacecraft, and missiles. It is also considered one of the most difficult branches of Engineering. The field demands a lot of hard work and true dedication.
GATE 2021 Preparation FAQs
Q1. Is taking Coaching Necessary to prepare for GATE 2021?
Ans. No, taking coaching is not necessary. You can prepare well through self-study also. You just have to put hard work and you will score good marks. You can refer to our preparation tips further.
Q2. What mock papers should I prepare?
Ans. there are a lot of mock tests available online. You can also prepare from the Aerospace Engineering Solved & Mock Papers GATE 2021 by Anshul Khandelwal. The link to buy the book is given above in the article.
To get fastest exam alerts and government job alerts in India, join our Telegram channel.