The Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is a Computer Adaptive Test (CAT) intended to assess certain written, verbal, analytical, quantitative and reading skills in English. Pursuing a graduate degree is a rewarding experience. The GMAT exam is a part of that process. It is used to get admission into various graduate management programmes, like MBA throughout the world. It requires knowledge of some specific grammar and some particular geometry, algebra and arithmetic. The GMAT neither evaluates intelligence nor does it evaluate business knowledge or skills. The Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC), the test owning company explains that the test measures your analytical writing and problem-solving skills along with addressing logic, data sufficiency and critical reasoning abilities. It is believed that these virtues are essentials to real-world business and management success. It can be taken up to 5 times in a year and each attempt must be at least 16 days apart.
The GMAT gives you information about your strengths and weaknesses. Identify the skills you need to focus on to be successful in your respective graduate programmes. More than 6,500 graduate business programmes and nearly 2100 schools use GMAT score to help find, select and recruit students with fits best with their programme.
|GMAT Registration dates||Every 16 days|
|Maximum attempts in a year||5 times|
|Maximum attempts accepted in lifetime||8 times|
The list of minimum requirements to take the exam is given below:
- You must be at least 18 years old. If you are between 13-17 years old, you have to get permission from a parent or legal guardian. You have to provide a written proof of your guardian’s consent before scheduling the exam.
- You cannot take the exam more than five times within a rolling 12 months period and no more than 8 times in total.
- You have to wait at least 16 days after taking the exam, before taking it again.
- If you have previously achieved a perfect score of 800 you have to wait for at least 5 years before you can take the test again.
- You have to follow all the registration and testing rules.
Whenever you’re creating your official GMAT profile- the name, date of birth and citizenship must exactly match your identification. Once the profile has been submitted you will have to contact GMAT Customer Service to make changes to those fields.
Online Registration Form: Registration form will be available on the official website www.mba.com
Steps to Register: Given below are the steps to easily apply for GMAT online:
- Go the Direct link provided above
- Edit your Personal Information
- Enter your profile details
- Verify your profile
- Schedule your exam
- Confirm exam details
- Pay for your exam
- Complete Registration
Admission deadlines for graduate business programs vary. Check with the schools you are interested in attending and set up your GMAT exam ahead of time to ensure your scores are reported prior to application deadlines. Certain countries have specific regulations that you have to follow to take the GMAT exam.
Applicants can register up to 6 months prior to the preferred test date. Students are advised to register 2-3 months prior to their preferred test date. If you’re registering online or by phone, you can register as late as 24 hours prior to your test date. SO, choose a date that is at least 21 days prior to your application deadline.
You can schedule your examination online. It can be done by phone, fax or postal mail and pay by credit/debit card. Regardless of how you schedule your exam, they will be sending you an email confirming your registration.
- Online – Schedule your exam for free on mba.com. Log in and create an account, and follow the homepage link. It’s easy and fast
- Phone – Call GMAT Customer Service in your region. You may be charged an additional service fee of US$10.
- Postal Mail – Complete the form on mba.com and mail it in along with your payment information. If you pay by check or money order, this is your only option.
- Fax – Complete the form on mba.com and fax to the number shown. Make sure you have entered your name, date of birth, country of citizenship and gender EXACTLY as they appear on the ID you will presenting at the test center.
GMAT Exam Fee
|GMAT Product or Service||Fee|
|Reschedule Exam appointment(More than seven days before the appointment
Within seven days of appointment)
|Cancel Exam appointment (More than seven days before appointment
Within seven days of appointment)
|Additional report Scores||US$35 Each|
|Enhanced Score Report||US$24.95|
|Score Cancel (after you leave the testing centre)||US$25|
|AWA Essay Rescoring||US$45|
The GMAT exam is made up of different types of questions so that you can demonstrate your ability in several skills required to be successful in graduate business school. Regardless of the variety of the question, to be fair to everyone taking the test around the world, all test takers will:
- Be assessed on the same number of questions
- Answer the same type of questions
- Be subject to time limits
- Be tested in similar conditions
The GMAT comprises of four separately timed sections. You will have the opportunity to take two optional eight-minute breaks during the exam. The total exam length is approximately 3.5-4 hours. The whole structure is explained below:
|Test Section||Time Limit (in Minutes)||Number of Questions||Question Types||Score Range|
|Analytical Writing Assessment||30||1||• Analysis of an Argument||0-6 in 0.5-point increments|
|Integrated Reasoning||30||12||• Multi-Source Reasoning • Table Analysis • Graphics Interpretation • Two-Part Analysis||1-8 in 1-point increments|
|Quantitative Reasoning||75||37||• Data Sufficiency • Problem Solving||6-51 in 1-point increments|
|Verbal Reasoning||75||41||• Reading Comprehension • Critical Reasoning • Sentence Correction||6-51 in 1-point increments|
- Applicants can register up to 6 months prior to the preferred test date. Students are advised to register 2-3 months prior to their preferred test date.
- If you’re registering online or by phone, you can register as late as 24 hours prior to your test date. SO, choose a date that is at least 21 days prior to your application deadline.
- Applicants can retake the test after at least 16 days or, can reschedule the date with a fee.
- When you complete your exam, you will be shown your unofficial GMAT scores- Verbal, Integrated Reasoning, Quantitative and Total. You will be given two minutes to decide whether to cancel or accept your score.
- Within three weeks of your test date, GMAT officials will be sending you a notice by email that your official scores are available.
Official Website: www.mba.com
For more details check – GMAT Official Handbook
Insofar, Official details for GMAT 2019 has not been announced yet. Information on this page is based on last year information brochure and for reference purpose only. As soon as GMAC will release the GMAT 2019, information will be updated here.