IIT Madras PhD Admission 2018 – IIT Madras has released notification for admission to the PhD Programme in various discipline at IIT Madras for July 2018 session. Selection of candidates will be done on the basis of Test & Interview. Respective departments sends details regarding interview date and time through Email. Details of IIT Madras PhD 2018 like application form, selection process and other important information are given on this page to make it convenient for candidates who are interested in IIT Madras PhD Admission 2018.
IIT Madras PhD Admission 2018 – July Session
IIT Madras has published notification for admission to the PhD programmes under regular fulltime [with/without Half-time Teaching Research Assistantship (HTRA)] and part-time/external programmes in the departments of Aerospace Engineering, Applied Mechanics, Biotechnology, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Engineering Design, Humanities & Social, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Metallurgical & Materials Engineering, Ocean Engineering, Petroleum Engineering and Physics. Candidates must apply online through the websitehttps://research.iitm.ac.in or https://www.iitm.ac.in on or before the last date.
Schedule for the IIT Madras Ph.D Admission (July Session) 2018 is given below.
|Registration of Application forms was open on||23 Sep 2017|
|Last date for Registration of application through on-line||22 Oct 2017|
|Last Date for Departments to display their selected candidates list in the Department Website on or before||31 May 2018|
|Last Date for issue of admission letters to candidates by Departments / Academic Section on or before||09 Jun 2018|
|Interview and Test Dates||Intimation through Email|
Candidates seeking admission to IIT Madras in PhD Programme can apply online from the official website at www.iitm.ac.in. Before applying for PhD Programme candidate must ensure their eligibility criteria. Candidates are advised to read carefully eligibility criteria and other details before submitting the application form. Candidates may also fill the application form of IIT Madras PhD Admission 2018 from the given below link.
Note: You are required to submit the application online. No downloadable Forms will be available. After filling the form, you are advised to take a print of your application and keep the same for the record.
The application fee is as follows:
- GN/OBC-NC Male candidates: Rs.100/-
- GN/OBC-NC Female candidates: Rs.50/-
- SC/ST and PWD candidates: Rs.50/-
Online mode of fee payment enabled (Netbanking, Credit Card & Debit Card)
How to apply online?
1. Sign-up / Register at https://research.iitm.ac.in/user.
- Ensure that there are no empty spaces in login name.
- Issues have been reported when Hotmail ID was used for registration. Kindly keep this in mind when providing email ID.
- Upon registering, an email will be sent to the email ID which will contain a link to activate the account.
2. Update Profile Information.
- Update profile information under “My Profile” menu.
3. How many Applications allowed per user?
- Use “Apply to Department” menu to fill in the application ( Maximum 3 applications allowed per user).
4. How to download the Application:
- An application number is generated after finishing the payment process.
- A mail containing application will be sent to mail ID.
In case the mail is not delivered, use “apply to department” menu to download the application. Candidates called for written test/interview should bring with them (i) Printed copy of the application submitted online along with Original and photocopies of relevant certificates.
(A) For Regular (full time) Research Scholars:
Ph.D in Engineering
- Candidates with a Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology with a good academic record / Master’s degree by Research in Engineering/Technology with a good academic record / 5 Year Dual Degree in Engineering or 5 Year BS+MS Dual degree from Centrally Funded Technical Institute with a good academic record.
- 2 Year M.Sc. from IITs (entry through JAM) with 8.0 and above are exempted from qualifying in National Level Examinations.
- Candidates with Master’s degree in Sciences with a good academic record and of exceptional merit are eligible, for the relevant Engineering disciplines(as decided by admitting departments). Candidates must have a valid GATE score or UGC-JRF/NET/CSIRJRF/NBHM/INSPIRE or equivalent qualification in the relevant area tenable for the year of registration.
- In the case of candidates with Bachelor’s degrees are in Engineering / Technology OR candidates with more than 5 years relevant experience after the Master’s degree, the requirement of a test score may be waived by the Selection Committee.
- Candidates who have qualified for the award of Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology / Bachelor of Science (Research) with an exceptionally good academic record in an eligible discipline will be considered for direct admission to M.S.+Ph.D. Programme in various Engineering and Science departments as a Regular scholar subject to the following conditions:
- a B.Tech. degree holder of Centrally Funded Technical Institute with a minimum CGPA of 8.0 on a 10.0 point scale or with a valid GATE score.
- a BS (Research) degree holder of Centrally Funded Technical Institute with a minimum CGPA of 8.0 on a 10.0 point scale or with a valid GATE score.
- a Bachelor’s degree holder in Engineering/Technology with a minimum CGPA of 8.0 on a 10.0 point scale or equivalent from any other University and having a valid GATE score.
- a Bachelor’s degree holder in Engineering/Technology from a reputed R & D organization and having a proven research record.
- Note: Candidates with B.E/B.Tech. for direct admission to PhD programme will be joining a two-degree (M.S+Ph.D) programme.
PhD in Science
- Master’s degree in Sciences with a good academic record and having a valid GATE score or UGCJRF/NET/CSIR-JRF/NBHM/INSPIRE or equivalent qualification tenable for the current year in the relevant area.
- Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology or 5 Year BS+MS Dual degree/ 5 Year Integrated degree from Centrally Funded Technical Institute are eligible with a good academic record.
- 2 Year M.Sc. from IITs (entry through JAM) with 8.0 and above are exempted from qualifying in National level examinations.
- B.Tech. degree holder of Centrally Funded Technical Institute with a minimum CGPA of 8.0 on a 10.0 point scale or with a valid GATE score.
- BS (Research) degree holder of Centrally Funded Technical Institute with a minimum CGPA of 8.0 on a 10.0 point scale or with a valid GATE score.
- Bachelor’s degree holder in Engineering/Technology with a minimum CGPA of 8.0 on a 10.0 point scale or equivalent from any other University and having a valid GATE score.
- Students who get more than 8.0 CGPA in M.Sc. in Science Departments of IIT Madras can be admitted directly to their PhD programme in Sciences with the interview at the departmental level.
PhD in Humanities and Social Sciences
- i) Master’s degree / dual degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline AND Qualifying UGC – NET or JRF / CSIR-JRF / GATE Score or any national level examination tenable for the current year in the relevant area or international level postgraduate admission examination such as GRE (NonHTRA).OR
Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology or 5 Year BS+MS Dual degree/ 5 Year Integrated degree from Centrally Funded Technical Institute with a good academic record.
- At least 3 years of experience in research/industry in lieu of the above examination. (This clause is only for Non-HTRA candidates)
Ph.D in Management
- Masters degree or 2 year PG Diploma in a relevant discipline, and a Bachelor’s degree with a good academic record (minimum five years of graduate and undergraduate education) OR Five year integrated masters degree / dual degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline with a good academic record AND
- Qualifying in national level examinations such as CAT / GATE /UGC or CSIR / NET / JRF / Lectureship or equivalent or international level postgraduate admission examination such as GMAT / GRE or equivalent. OR
- At least 5 years of managerial experience in lieu of the above examination. (This clause is only for Non-HTRA candidates)
- Master’s degree in Engineering / Technology with a good academic record or a Master’s degree by Research in Engineering / Technology in a relevant discipline are exempted from qualifying in National level examinations.
- Candidates with MBA or 2 year PG diploma from Centrally Funded Technical Institute (CFTI) with CGPA of 8 and above are exempted from qualifying in National level examinations.
For Permanent Institute staff members / Research Scholars under QIP / Research Scholars under External Registration / Research Scholars working on part-time basis:
- For Research Scholars in the above categories, the minimum educational qualifications are the same as prescribed for Regular Research Scholars in 5.1.1 for admission to the Ph.D. Programme in the respective categories.
- However, valid GATE score or CSIR/UGC/NET/NBHM/CAT/JRF or equivalent qualification as applicable for Regular research scholars may not be required in these cases.
- Further the residential requirement is treated as fulfilled for MS/PhD scholars admitted from among the employees of the organizations posted to IITM Research Park.
One year PG programme from Accredited Universalities is considered as one of the eligibility criteria for admission to Ph.D. at IIT Madras. Following are the conditions:
- The Selection committee may consider the applicant as direct Ph.D., if the candidate found suitable and meet eligibility requirements.
- Courses completed already in one year PG programme may be considered by the Doctoral Committee towards course requirement for Direct admission to Ph.D.
- The scholar will be eligible for HTRA, if they qualify GATE (equivalent to Direct admission to Ph.D. scholars).
Offering admission into direct admission to M.S.+PhD programme for students in the 4th year of their B.E/B.Tech/BS programme:
Applications will be sought from bright students who are in their 4th year in between Octoberand December and after completion of selection process, offer of admission to PhD programme for July session of next year to be finalized by December.
In case NCB makes students of 6th semester eligible to write GATE, GATE score may be used while considering admission process. In case of non-availability of such a provision, the candidate with a minimum CGPA of 8.0 and above, if found suitable, can be offered admission to PhD programme without HTRA. They can be encouraged to write GATE in their 8th semester to enable such candidate to become eligible for HTRA by qualifying in GATE.
Fellowship for the selected students will be for 5 years as applicable for direct admission to Ph.D
- Candidates from centrally Funded Technical Institutes having a minimum CGPA of 8.0 and above, if found suitable, can be offered direct admission to M.S.+Ph.D programme with HTRA. The need to qualify GATE to avail HTRA is waived for such students.
- Candidates from any other University having a minimum CGPA of 8.0 on a 10.0 point scale or equivalent, if found suitable, can be offered direct admission to M.S.+Ph.D. programme with HTRA. They need to qualify in GATE prior to joining, failing which offer will be cancelled.
Eligible candidates possessing the minimum educational qualifications and satisfying additional and stiffer criteria set by the departments from time to time, will be called for an interview and/or test by the Selection Committees of the respective departments.
For candidates who have obtained PG degree 10 years earlier as on the last date prescribed for receipt of the completed application, a departmental test will be conducted.
The applications of foreign nationals may be considered without a personal interview / test. Based on the academic record and the performance of the candidates in the interview and/or test, the Departmental Selection Committee will recommend to the Chairman, Senate the names of candidates found suitable for admission to the Ph.D. programme.
Documents to be submitted at the time of interview/Admission
At the time of Interview:
- Printed copy of application mailed to the candidates after online registration.
- Copies of all Mark sheets/grade cards, degree certificates beginning from first degree towards proof of qualification with Original certificates.
- Copy of Community Certificate in the case of SC/ST/OBC candidates issued by the respective State Government.
- Authorised Doctor’s Certificate with disability descriptions in the case of Person with Disabled (PD) candidates.
- Copy of GATE score or NET (UGC-JRF/Lectureship/CSIR/ DAE-JEST) or other fellowship awards.
- Project Co-ordinator’s certificate in the prescribed format and a copy of project appointment letter from Dean IC & SR of IITM in the case of Project Associate if already appointed.
At the time of Admission:
- Offer of admission.
- Birth Certificate.
- Aadhar No.
- First page of SSLC/SSC/Matriculation certificate along with application form.
- Original GATE Score Card/UGC-JRF/NET/CSIR-JRF/DAE-JEST or other fellowship award letter.
- Degree certificate/Provisional/Course completion certificate/Grade Cards/Mark sheets of all the semesters of degrees obtained
- SC/ST/OBC-NCL community certificate for the candidate belonging to SC/ST/OBC-NCL category. [OBC-NCL scholars to upload the latest valid Non-creamy layer community certificate in the prescribed format obtained after 01/08/2017].
- Relieving order/Resignation acceptance letter from the employer in the case of Regular candidates (HTRA / NHTRA / PROJECT / CSIR / UGC), if employed except candidates selected under IITM Staff scheme.
In addition to the above –
For External candidates (from the present employer) –
- Research Co-ordinator letter.
- Research Co-ordinator Degree certificate.
- NoC/Relief from the present employer.
For Part-time candidates –
- NoC/Relief/Permission from the present employer.
For Project candidates –
- Project Coordinator letter.
For more details of IIT Madras PhD Admission 2018 for July Session – Download Information Brochure.