IIT Madras Ph.D. Admission 2019 – IIT Madras has released notification for admission to the Ph.D. Programme in the various discipline at IIT Madras for July 2019 session. Selection of candidates will be done on the basis of Test & Interview. Candidates in order to take admission in IIT Madras, candidates have to fulfill the eligibility criteria set out by the concerning authority. Details of IIT Madras Ph.D. 2019 like application form, selection process, and other important information are given on this page to make it convenient for candidates who are interested in IIT Madras Ph.D. Admission 2019.
IIT Madras Ph.D. Admission 2019 – July Session
IIT Madras has published notification for admission to the Ph.D. programmes under regular fulltime [with/without Half-time Teaching Research Assistantship (HTRA)] and part-time/external programmes in the departments of Aerospace Engineering, Applied Mechanics, Biotechnology, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Engineering Design, Humanities & Social, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Metallurgical & Materials Engineering, Ocean Engineering, Petroleum Engineering and Physics. Candidates must apply online through the website www.iitm.ac.in.in on or before the last date.
Schedule for the IIT Madras Ph.D. Admission (July Session) 2019 is given below.
|Registration of Application forms was open on||01 Mar 2019|
|Last date for Registration of application through on-line||31 Mar 2019|
|Date of Admission||08 Jul 2019|
|Orientation||09 Jul 2019|
|Photo session & Data Entry||10 Jul 2019|
From here the candidates can check the list of selected candidates for admission into the Ph.D. program 2019. The list of selected candidates has been released by the IIT Madras Ph.D. Admission 2019. All the candidates who submit the application form and appeared in the entrance exam now can check the same from the link provided below:
Selected Candidates: Click here to check the list of provisionally selected candidates for admission in IIT Madras.
Candidates seeking admission to IIT Madras in Ph.D. Programme can apply online from the official website at www.iitm.ac.in. Before applying for Ph.D. Programme candidate must ensure their eligibility criteria. Candidates are advised to read carefully eligibility criteria and other details before submitting the application form. Candidates may also fill the application form of IIT Madras Ph.D. Admission 2019 from the given below link.
Apply Online: Check the links provided below to fill the Application Form.
Note: You are required to submit the application online. No downloadable Forms will be available. After filling the form, you are advised to take a print of your application and keep the same for the record.
The application fee is as follows:
- GN/EWS/OBC-NCL Male candidates: Rs.100/-
- GN/EWS/OBC-NCL Female candidates: Rs.50/-
- SC/ST and PWD candidates: Rs.50/-
Online mode of fee payment enabled (Netbanking, Credit Card & Debit Card).
How to apply online?
1. Sign-up / Register at https://research.iitm.ac.in/user.
- Ensure that there are no empty spaces in login name.
- Issues have been reported when Hotmail ID was used for registration. Kindly keep this in mind when providing email ID.
- Upon registering, an email will be sent to the email ID which will contain a link to activate the account.
2. Update Profile Information.
- Update profile information under “My Profile” menu.
3. How many Applications allowed per user?
- Use “Apply to Department” menu to fill in the application ( Maximum 3 applications allowed per user).
4. How to download the Application:
- An application number is generated after finishing the payment process.
- A mail containing application will be sent to mail ID.
In case the mail is not delivered, use “apply to department” menu to download the application. Candidates called for written test/interview should bring with them (i) Printed copy of the application submitted online along with Original and photocopies of relevant certificates.
(A) For Regular (full time) Research Scholars:
Ph.D. in Engineering
- Candidates with a Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology with a good academic record / Master’s degree by Research in Engineering/Technology with a good academic record / 5 Year Dual Degree in Engineering or 5 Year BS+MS Dual degree from Centrally Funded Technical Institute with a good academic record.
- 2 Year M.Sc. from IITs (entry through JAM) with 8.0 and above are exempted from qualifying in National Level Examinations.
- Candidates with Master’s degree in Sciences with a good academic record and of exceptional merit are eligible, for the relevant Engineering disciplines(as decided by admitting departments). Candidates must have a valid GATE score or UGC-JRF/NET/CSIRJRF or equivalent qualification in the relevant area tenable for the year of registration.
- In the case of candidates with Bachelor’s degrees are in Engineering / Technology candidates with more than 5 years relevant experience after the Master’s degree, the requirement of a test score may be waived by the Selection Committee.
- Candidates who have qualified for the award of Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology / Bachelor of Science (Research) with an exceptionally good academic record in an eligible discipline will be considered for direct admission to M.S.+Ph.D. Programme in various Engineering and Science departments as a Regular scholar subject to the following conditions:
- A B.Tech. degree holder of Centrally Funded Technical Institute with a minimum CGPA of 8.0 on a 10.0 point scale or with a valid GATE score.
- A BS (Research) degree holder of Centrally Funded Technical Institute with a minimum CGPA of 8.0 on a 10.0 point scale or with a valid GATE score.
- A Bachelor’s degree holder in Engineering/Technology with a minimum CGPA of 8.0 on a 10.0 point scale or equivalent from any other University and having a valid GATE score.
- A Bachelor’s degree holder in Engineering/Technology from a reputed R & D organization and having a proven research record.
- Note: Candidates with B.E/B.Tech./BS(4 year) for direct admission to the Ph.D. programme will be joining a two-degree (M.S+Ph.D) programme.
Ph.D. in Science
- Master’s degree in Sciences with a good academic record and having a valid GATE score or UGCJRF/NET/CSIR-JRF/NBHM/INSPIRE or equivalent qualification tenable for the current year in the relevant area.
- Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology or 5 Year BS+MS Dual degree/ 5 Year Integrated degree from Centrally Funded Technical Institute are eligible with a good academic record.
- 2 Year M.Sc. from IITs (entry through JAM) with 8.0 and above are exempted from qualifying in National level examinations.
- Students who get more than 8.0 CGPA in M.Sc. in Science Departments of IIT Madras can be admitted directly to their Ph.D. programme in Sciences with an interview at the departmental level.
Ph.D. in Humanities and Social Sciences
- Master’s degree / dual degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline AND Qualifying UGC – NET or JRF / CSIR-JRF / GATE Score or any national level examination tenable for the current year in the relevant area or international level postgraduate admission examination such as GRE (NonHTRA).OR
Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology or 5 Year BS+MS Dual degree/ 5 Year Integrated degree from Centrally Funded Technical Institute with a good academic record.
- At least 3 years of experience in research/industry in lieu of the above examination. (This clause is only for Non-HTRA candidates)
Ph.D in Management
- Masters degree or 2 years PG Diploma in a relevant discipline, and a Bachelor’s degree with a good academic record (minimum five years of graduate and undergraduate education)
Five year integrated masters degree / dual degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline with a good academic record.
Qualifying in national level examinations such as GATE /UGC – JRF / NET / CSIR – JRF or international level postgraduate admission examination such as GMAT / GRE or equivalent.
At least 5 years of managerial experience in lieu of the above examination. (This clause is only for Non-HTRA candidates)
- Master’s degree in Engineering / Technology with a good academic record or a Master’s degree by Research in Engineering / Technology in a relevant discipline are exempted from qualifying in National level examinations.
- Candidates with MBA or 2 year PG diploma from Centrally Funded Technical Institute (CFTI) with CGPA of 8 and above are exempted from qualifying in National level examinations.
For Permanent Institute staff members / Research Scholars under QIP / Research Scholars under External Registration / Research Scholars working on the part-time basis:
- For Research Scholars in the above categories, the minimum educational qualifications are the same as prescribed for Regular Research Scholars in 5.1.1 for admission to the Ph.D. Programme in the respective categories.
- However, valid GATE score or CSIR – JRF/UGC – JRF/NET or equivalent qualification as applicable for Regular research scholars may not be required in these cases.
- Further, the residential requirement is treated as fulfilled for MS/ Ph.D. scholars admitted from among the employees of the organizations posted to IITM Research Park.
One year PG programme from Accredited Universalities is considered as one of the eligibility criteria for admission to Ph.D. at IIT Madras. Following are the conditions:
- The Selection Committee may consider the applicant as direct Ph.D. if the candidate found suitable and meet eligibility requirements.
- Courses completed already in one year PG programme may be considered by the Doctoral Committee towards course requirement for Direct admission to Ph.D.
- The scholar will be eligible for HTRA if they qualify GATE (equivalent to Direct admission to Ph.D. scholars).
Eligible candidates possessing the minimum educational qualifications and satisfying additional and stiffer criteria set by the departments from time to time will be called for an interview and/or test by the Selection Committees of the respective departments.
For candidates who have obtained PG degree 10 years earlier as on the last date prescribed for receipt of the completed application, a departmental test will be conducted.
The applications of foreign nationals may be considered without a personal interview/test.
Based on the academic record and the performance of the candidates in the interview and/or test, the Departmental Selection Committee will recommend to the Chairman, Senate the names of candidates found suitable for admission to the Ph.D. programme.
Documents to be submitted at the time of interview/Admission
At the time of Interview:
- A printed copy of application mailed to the candidates after online registration.
- Copies of all Mark sheets/grade cards/provisional/degree certificates beginning from first degree towards proof of qualification.
- Copy of Community Certificate in the case of SC/ST/OBC-NCL candidates issued by the respective State Government. The candidates claiming for EWS (Economically Weaker sections) reservation should submit valid certificate issued by the concerned authority.
- Authorised Doctor’s Certificate of disability descriptions in the case of Person with Disabled (PwD) candidates.
- Copy of GATE score or NET (UGC-JRF/NEt/CSIR-JRF/ DAE-JEST) or other fellowship awards.
- Project Co-ordinator’s certificate in the prescribed format and a copy of project appointment letter from Dean IC & SR of IITM in the case of Project Associate if already appointed.
At the time of Admission:
- The offer of admission.
- Birth Certificate.
- Aadhar No.
- The first page of SSLC/SSC/Matriculation certificate along with application form.
- Original GATE Score Card/UGC-JRF/NET/CSIR-JRF/DAE-JEST or other fellowship award letter.
- Degree certificate/Provisional/Course completion certificate/Grade Cards/Mark sheets of all the semesters of degrees obtained SC/ST/OBC-NCL community certificate for the candidate belonging to SC/ST/OBC-1NCL category. [OBC-NCL scholars to upload the latest valid Non-creamy layer community certificate in the prescribed format obtained after October 01, 2018]. The candidates claiming for EWS (Economically Weaker sections) reservation should submit valid certificate issued by the concerned authority.
- Relieving order/Resignation acceptance letter from the employer in the case of Regular candidates (HTRA / NHTRA / PROJECT / CSIR-JRF / UGC-JRF), if employed except candidates selected under IITM Staff scheme.
In addition to the above –
For External candidates (from the present employer) –
- Research Co-ordinator letter.
- Research Co-ordinator Degree certificate.
- NoC/Relief & Sponsorship certificate from the present employer.
For Part-time candidates –
- NoC/Relief/Sponsorship certificate from the present employer.
For Project candidates –
- Project Coordinator letter.
Results for the Ph.D Programme July 2019 session will be announced after the successful conduction of exam. Candidates can check their results from the link given below. The offer letter and other documents for regular candidates will be sent by email or speed post and for part time Candidates will be issued in due course.
Reservation of Seats
Reservations are applicable to EWS/SC/ST/OBC-NCL/Persons with Disability (PwD) candidates as per Govt. of India rules but the final selection is based on the performance of the candidate in “test and interview” or “interview” conducted by the respective Departmental Selection Committee.
FAQ’s – Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What are the different modes of payment available?
ANS: Debit Card/Credit Card /Net Banking.
Q2. I have paid the Application fee? And Still the Status is “Pending”?
ANS: The Application Status will be upgraded shortly. (Or) your transaction has failed and the amount will be refunded to your account shortly. Please confirm the refund to your account after 48 hours.
Q3. I am residing Outside India. How I can make payment?
ANS: Foreign students will be able to use the Debit Card/Credit Card /Net Banking option to make the payment.
Q4. What are required documents for upload?
ANS: Photo is mandatory. If you have taken any Qualifying Exam, the Score Card of Qualifying Exam is mandatory. If you have got a University Rank, a certificate of the University Rank is mandatory.
Q5. How long is a GATE Score valid?
ANS: Only for 3 years.
Q6. It is keeping on showing; your GATE detail is incorrect?
ANS: GATE Score is valid for only 3 years. Please check the validity of your score. While entering GATE details, enter Registration no. with subject code. eg: EC11075S3119
Q7. I want to apply to more than 4 departments now, how to do?
ANS: You can submit separate application to departments of your choice by paying separate application fee.
Q8. I have additional Qualification, where to enter?
ANS: In Additional Information Space.
Q9. I am not able to apply to any department?
ANS: You need to fill up the mandatory field in “My Profile” section, Check the “Submit Profile” option and then move to “Apply to Department” Page.
Q10. I have committed mistakes in my application?
ANS: Inform us at the time of Interview.
Q11. My university doesn’t issue University Rank certificate. What is the solution?
ANS: If you claim Rank then you have to upload some proof to support your claim.
Q12. My Discipline is not listed, what can I do?
ANS: Name of the Degree is sufficient. Select the option “All other disciplines…” in the respective field”.
Q13. I am using Chrome/Firefox/IE/Opera browser. I am unable to apply to any departments?
ANS: Perhaps you have not submitted your profile. Please check the Check box above and click the “Submit Profile” button. The application has been tested on multiple browsers and operating systems.
Q14. When/how to known my application is submitted successfully?
ANS: After Payment is Successful.
Q15. Site is slow?
ANS: Please be patient. We cater to over 5000 users, many of whom will be concurrent users of the database.
Q16. I have not received any mail after submitting the application?
ANS: In case the mail is not delivered, use “apply to department” menu to download application.
Q17. I am facing a problem when I applied through On-line; I am not able to upload my supporting documents as my qualification certificate of UGC-NET test since it has not reached yet. I have GATE score card but my selection procedure has to be done according to my UGC-NET Rank?
ANS: Select the UGC-NET and if possible upload proof for that. If not possible to upload, produce the certificate at the time of interview.
Q18. I wrongly entered the Date of Birth instead of the correct DOB, What can I do?
ANS: At the time of Admission, submit your Birth Certificate Photo copy for correction.
Q19. I want to know, if I would apply for more than one department then how much amount should I pay?
ANS: You can submit separate application to departments of your choice by paying separate application fee.
Official Website: www.iitm.ac.in.
For more details of IIT Madras Ph.D. Admission 2019 for July Session – Download Information Brochure.