IIT Madras Ph.D. Admission 2018 – IIT Madras has released notification for admission to the Ph.D. Programme in the various discipline at IIT Madras for July 2018 session. Selection of candidates will be done on the basis of Test & Interview. Details of IIT Madras Ph.D. 2018 like application form, selection process, and other important information are given on this page to make it convenient for candidates who are interested in IIT Madras Ph.D. Admission 2018.
IIT Madras Ph.D. Admission 2018 – July Session
IIT Madras has published notification for admission to the Ph.D. programmes under regular fulltime [with/without Half-time Teaching Research Assistantship (HTRA)] and part-time/external programmes in the departments of Aerospace Engineering, Applied Mechanics, Biotechnology, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Engineering Design, Humanities & Social, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Metallurgical & Materials Engineering, Ocean Engineering, Petroleum Engineering and Physics. Candidates must apply online through the website www.iitm.ac.in.in on or before the last date.
Schedule for the IIT Madras Ph.D. Admission (July Session) 2018 is given below.
|Registration of Application forms was open on||01 Mar 2018|
|Last date for Registration of application through on-line||31 Mar 2018|
|Interview and or Test (on or before)||01 May to 11 May 2018|
|Selected candidates list display on the Department website||25 May 2018|
|Selected Candidates to join on||09 Jul 2018|
Results for the Ph.D Programme July 2018 session has been announced. Candidates can check their results from the link given below. The offer letter and other documents for regular candidates will be sent by email or speed post and for part time Candidates will be issued in due course.
Result: Click here to access your result.
Candidates seeking admission to IIT Madras in Ph.D. Programme can apply online from the official website at www.iitm.ac.in. Before applying for Ph.D. Programme candidate must ensure their eligibility criteria. Candidates are advised to read carefully eligibility criteria and other details before submitting the application form. Candidates may also fill the application form of IIT Madras Ph.D. Admission 2018 from the given below link.
- Apply Online – Application Process is Over!!!
Note: You are required to submit the application online. No downloadable Forms will be available. After filling the form, you are advised to take a print of your application and keep the same for the record.
The application fee is as follows:
- GN/OBC-NC Male candidates: Rs.100/-
- GN/OBC-NC Female candidates: Rs.50/-
- SC/ST and PWD candidates: Rs.50/-
Online mode of fee payment enabled (Netbanking, Credit Card & Debit Card).
How to apply online?
1. Sign-up / Register at https://research.iitm.ac.in/user.
- Ensure that there are no empty spaces in login name.
- Issues have been reported when Hotmail ID was used for registration. Kindly keep this in mind when providing email ID.
- Upon registering, an email will be sent to the email ID which will contain a link to activate the account.
2. Update Profile Information.
- Update profile information under “My Profile” menu.
3. How many Applications allowed per user?
- Use “Apply to Department” menu to fill in the application ( Maximum 3 applications allowed per user).
4. How to download the Application:
- An application number is generated after finishing the payment process.
- A mail containing application will be sent to mail ID.
In case the mail is not delivered, use “apply to department” menu to download the application. Candidates called for written test/interview should bring with them (i) Printed copy of the application submitted online along with Original and photocopies of relevant certificates.
(A) For Regular (full time) Research Scholars:
Ph.D. in Engineering
- Candidates with a Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology with a good academic record / Master’s degree by Research in Engineering/Technology with a good academic record / 5 Year Dual Degree in Engineering or 5 Year BS+MS Dual degree from Centrally Funded Technical Institute with a good academic record.
- 2 Year M.Sc. from IITs (entry through JAM) with 8.0 and above are exempted from qualifying in National Level Examinations.
- Candidates with Master’s degree in Sciences with a good academic record and of exceptional merit are eligible, for the relevant Engineering disciplines(as decided by admitting departments). Candidates must have a valid GATE score or UGC-JRF/NET/CSIRJRF/NBHM/INSPIRE or equivalent qualification in the relevant area tenable for the year of registration.
- In the case of candidates with Bachelor’s degrees are in Engineering / Technology OR candidates with more than 5 years relevant experience after the Master’s degree, the requirement of a test score may be waived by the Selection Committee.
- Candidates who have qualified for the award of Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology / Bachelor of Science (Research) with an exceptionally good academic record in an eligible discipline will be considered for direct admission to M.S.+Ph.D. Programme in various Engineering and Science departments as a Regular scholar subject to the following conditions:
- A B.Tech. degree holder of Centrally Funded Technical Institute with a minimum CGPA of 8.0 on a 10.0 point scale or with a valid GATE score.
- A BS (Research) degree holder of Centrally Funded Technical Institute with a minimum CGPA of 8.0 on a 10.0 point scale or with a valid GATE score.
- A Bachelor’s degree holder in Engineering/Technology with a minimum CGPA of 8.0 on a 10.0 point scale or equivalent from any other University and having a valid GATE score.
- A Bachelor’s degree holder in Engineering/Technology from a reputed R & D organization and having a proven research record.
- Note: Candidates with B.E/B.Tech. for direct admission to the Ph.D. programme will be joining a two-degree (M.S+Ph.D) programme.
Ph.D. in Science
- Master’s degree in Sciences with a good academic record and having a valid GATE score or UGCJRF/NET/CSIR-JRF/NBHM/INSPIRE or equivalent qualification tenable for the current year in the relevant area.
- Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology or 5 Year BS+MS Dual degree/ 5 Year Integrated degree from Centrally Funded Technical Institute are eligible with a good academic record.
- 2 Year M.Sc. from IITs (entry through JAM) with 8.0 and above are exempted from qualifying in National level examinations.
- Students who get more than 8.0 CGPA in M.Sc. in Science Departments of IIT Madras can be admitted directly to their Ph.D. programme in Sciences with an interview at the departmental level.
Ph.D. in Humanities and Social Sciences
- Master’s degree / dual degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline AND Qualifying UGC – NET or JRF / CSIR-JRF / GATE Score or any national level examination tenable for the current year in the relevant area or international level postgraduate admission examination such as GRE (NonHTRA).OR
Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology or 5 Year BS+MS Dual degree/ 5 Year Integrated degree from Centrally Funded Technical Institute with a good academic record.
- At least 3 years of experience in research/industry in lieu of the above examination. (This clause is only for Non-HTRA candidates)
Ph.D in Management
- Masters degree or 2 years PG Diploma in a relevant discipline, and a Bachelor’s degree with a good academic record (minimum five years of graduate and undergraduate education) OR Five year integrated masters degree / dual degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline with a good academic record AND
- Qualifying in national level examinations such as CAT / GATE /UGC or CSIR / NET / JRF / Lectureship or equivalent or international level postgraduate admission examination such as GMAT / GRE or equivalent. OR
- At least 5 years of managerial experience in lieu of the above examination. (This clause is only for Non-HTRA candidates)
- Master’s degree in Engineering / Technology with a good academic record or a Master’s degree by Research in Engineering / Technology in a relevant discipline are exempted from qualifying in National level examinations.
- Candidates with MBA or 2 year PG diploma from Centrally Funded Technical Institute (CFTI) with CGPA of 8 and above are exempted from qualifying in National level examinations.
For Permanent Institute staff members / Research Scholars under QIP / Research Scholars under External Registration / Research Scholars working on the part-time basis:
- For Research Scholars in the above categories, the minimum educational qualifications are the same as prescribed for Regular Research Scholars in 5.1.1 for admission to the Ph.D. Programme in the respective categories.
- However, valid GATE score or CSIR/UGC/NET/NBHM/CAT/JRF or equivalent qualification as applicable for Regular research scholars may not be required in these cases.
- Further, the residential requirement is treated as fulfilled for MS/ Ph.D. scholars admitted from among the employees of the organizations posted to IITM Research Park.
One year PG programme from Accredited Universalities is considered as one of the eligibility criteria for admission to Ph.D. at IIT Madras. Following are the conditions:
- The Selection Committee may consider the applicant as direct Ph.D. if the candidate found suitable and meet eligibility requirements.
- Courses completed already in one year PG programme may be considered by the Doctoral Committee towards course requirement for Direct admission to Ph.D.
- The scholar will be eligible for HTRA if they qualify GATE (equivalent to Direct admission to Ph.D. scholars).
Eligible candidates possessing the minimum educational qualifications and satisfying additional and stiffer criteria set by the departments from time to time will be called for an interview and/or test by the Selection Committees of the respective departments.
For candidates who have obtained PG degree 10 years earlier as on the last date prescribed for receipt of the completed application, a departmental test will be conducted.
The applications of foreign nationals may be considered without a personal interview/test. Based on the academic record and the performance of the candidates in the interview and/or test, the Departmental Selection Committee will recommend to the Chairman, Senate the names of candidates found suitable for admission to the Ph.D. programme.
Documents to be submitted at the time of interview/Admission
At the time of Interview:
- A printed copy of application mailed to the candidates after online registration.
- Copies of all Mark sheets/grade cards, degree certificates beginning from first degree towards proof of qualification with Original certificates.
- Copy of Community Certificate in the case of SC/ST/OBC candidates issued by the respective State Government.
- Authorised Doctor’s Certificate of disability descriptions in the case of Person with Disabled (PD) candidates.
- Copy of GATE score or NET (UGC-JRF/Lectureship/CSIR/ DAE-JEST) or other fellowship awards.
- Project Co-ordinator’s certificate in the prescribed format and a copy of project appointment letter from Dean IC & SR of IITM in the case of Project Associate if already appointed.
At the time of Admission:
- The offer of admission.
- Birth Certificate.
- Aadhar No.
- The first page of SSLC/SSC/Matriculation certificate along with application form.
- Original GATE Score Card/UGC-JRF/NET/CSIR-JRF/DAE-JEST or other fellowship award letter.
- Degree certificate/Provisional/Course completion certificate/Grade Cards/Mark sheets of all the semesters of degrees obtained
- SC/ST/OBC-NCL community certificate for the candidate belonging to SC/ST/OBC-NCL category. [OBC-NCL scholars to upload the latest valid Non-creamy layer community certificate in the prescribed format obtained].
- Relieving order/Resignation acceptance letter from the employer in the case of Regular candidates (HTRA / NHTRA / PROJECT / CSIR / UGC), if employed except candidates selected under IITM Staff scheme.
In addition to the above –
For External candidates (from the present employer) –
- Research Co-ordinator letter.
- Research Co-ordinator Degree certificate.
- NoC/Relief from the present employer.
For Part-time candidates –
- NoC/Relief/Permission from the present employer.
For Project candidates –
- Project Coordinator letter.
Reservation of Seats
Reservations are applicable to SC/ST/OBC-NCL/Persons with Disability (PwD) candidates as per Govt. of India rules but the final selection is based on the performance of the candidate in “test and interview” or “interview” by the respective Departmental Selection Committee.
Official Website: www.iitm.ac.in.
For more details of IIT Madras Ph.D. Admission 2018 for July Session – Download Information Brochure.