IIT Mandi Admissions
Students are admitted to undergraduate courses through an All-India competition known as Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) conducted by all the seven IIT’s along with IT-BHU and ISM-Dhanbad, at various centres across the country in which more than 4,72,000 candidates compete for around 8,295 seats.
The admissions to Institute of Technology – Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, and Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad are also done through JEE for about 850 seats. From the year 2006, JEE pattern has undergone a change, instead of two level selection procedure there will be only one level of selection wherein just three separate papers of Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics of 2 hour duration each take place. The paper would be objective type in nature designed to test the comprehension and analytical ability of the candidates
This Institute offers 3 courses (Computer Science, Electrical, Mechanical engg.) leading to four-year Bachelor of Technology to students that are admitted through JEE. However no admission is available to any Non resident Indian at undergraduate level at the institute. “As per the decision of IIT council the admission to the Undergraduate programme through Direct Admission of Students Abroad (DASA) scheme is abolished”.
- To be considered for a branch change, the student will have to submit an application before the end of the second semester of his/her programme. The application will have to specify his/her choices, in order of preference, of the branch or branches that he/she seeks a change to.
- The student will have to be in good academic standing, having done the full complement of courses and having no backlog. The decision on the student’s application will be made only after the grades of the second semester are received and the CGPA at the end of this semester will be the relevant CGPA.
- In granting the change of branch of a student, the strength of a class shall not fall below the sanctioned strength by more than 50% and shall not exceed the sanctioned strength by more than 25%. Notwithstanding this provision, the top ranking student of each discipline may be awarded a branch change if she has a CGPA of at least 8.0.
- An eligible applicant who has secured a CGPA of 10.0 shall be allowed a change of branch of his/her choice without any constraint. This clause will override clause (3) if the need arises.
- Branch change applications will be considered strictly in order of merit as established by the CGPA and only to the extent of the applicant’s choices and in the order of the preferences expressed in the application. If a seat opens up at any late stage in the process, it will be offered to the applicant with the highest CGPA by going back up the list, if necessary. In case more than one student with the same CGPA seek the identical change, branch-to-branch, they will be treated equally and will be jointly subject to condition (3) above.
- In exceptional cases, the Senate may also grant a change of branch to a student who is in distress in his/her present branch. Branch change of this category may be granted in rare cases subject to the satisfaction of the Senate that compelling grounds for the same do exist. Applications will have to be made at any time up to the end of the fourth semester and conditions (3) will apply.
IIT Mandi Admissions- Entrance Exam
The Joint Entrance Examination (Advanced) is a common admission test for students seeking admission to undergraduate programmes of all IITs and ISM Dhanbad. To know more about JEE Advanced Exam, Click Here. To be eligible to write JEE (Advanced), the candidates have to first appear in the JEE (Main) conducted by JEE Apex Board, in the month of April. To know more about JEE Main Exam, Click Here. JEE(Advanced) is conducted by IITs in the month of June. Only the top 1,50,000 scorers in JEE (Main), which includes students from all categories (GE, OBC (NCL), SC, ST and PD) will be eligible to appear in JEE (Advanced). The JEE (Advanced) will have two objective type papers. Each paper will consist of Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. Duration of each paper will be 3-hours. Question papers will be in both English and Hindi.