JEE Main 2020 is supposed to be held on April 5, 7, 8, 9, and 11. And the new date sheet by CBSE, for class 12th students who could not appear for their exams in violence hit North East Delhi, says that rescheduled exams will be held from March 31 to April 14, on ten dates. Four of the five exam dates of the Joint Entrance Examination are clashing with dates of this new CBSE date sheet 2020.
Last date alert! The last date to apply for JEE Main 2020 April exam is Thursday, March 12, 2020 (5 pm). And the deadline to pay fee is until 11.50 pm of the same date.
Exam Date of JEE Main 2020 Is Clashing With New CBSE Date Sheet 2020
CBSE had to hold off a few class 10 and 12 board exam 2020 papers scheduled due to riots in North East Delhi. To be precise, exactly 49 papers had to be cancelled. Now, the new datesheet is here.
The cancelled class 12 exams will be held on these dates, for these subjects:
- 31st March 2020 – Physics, Applied Physics
- 1st April 2020 – English Elective N, English Elective C, English Core
- 3rd April 2020 – Web Application (Old), Web Application (New), Media
- 4th April 2020 – Chemistry
- 7th April 2020 – Urdu Elective, Sanskrit Elective, National Cadet Corps, Urdu Core, Sanskrit Core, Engineering Science, Front Office Ops., Air Cond and Ref, Design, Salesmanship
- 8th April 2020 – Engineering Graphics, Library and Information Science (Old), Typography and Computer Application Hindi (Old), Typography and Computer Application English (Old), Library System and Resource Management, Capital Market Operations, Typography and Computer Application (New), Electronic Technology, Library and Information Science (New), Fashion Studies, Printed Textile
- 9th April 2020 – History
- 11th April 2020 – Accountancy
- 13th April 2020 – Political Science
- 14th April 2020 – Marketing
And the JEE Main 2020 Exam Dates are:
- 5th April 2020
- 7th April 2020
- 8th April 2020
- 9th April 2020
- 11th April 2020
Thus April 7, 8, 9, and 11, 2020, that is four out of the five exam dates of JEE Main 2020 are clashing with the new board exam dates.
At first glance it appears to be obvious that JEE Main 2020 will be postponed. However, looking into the matter, there appears to be only 50-50 chance of this happening. So right now, there is equal probability on whether NTA will postpone JEE Main 2020 or not. Here’s why!
Reasons why still NTA may not change the JEE Main 2020 exam dates
As can be seen, not all exam dates are clashing.
Also, on the overlapping dates, not all subjects are of science students.
For the JEE Mains, students do not do slot booking for their exam date. They are randomly allotted exam date by NTA. Now in this scenario, if NTA does not change the JEE Main exam dates, then NTA may allot exam dates in such a way to ensure that candidates with relevant subjects do not get the dates on which their exams are clashing with the board exams.
This is a possibility.
Reasons why NTA may have to change the JEE Main 2020 exam dates
Although logically and logistically NTA can allot exam dates in such a manner that no dates clash for any students, the following concerns may still arise.
- CBSE board exam 2020 for Chemistry is now on April 5, 2020. It is a major subject for all engineering aspirants. It will be difficult to revise for JEE Main in one day after this big board exam paper.
- The subject papers on April 7 and 8, 2020 are elective subjects. There are chances that few JEE aspirants are there whose rescheduled dates are this. So their dates may clash.
- CBSE board exams 2020, as well as JEE Main 2020 are major exams in India. It will be difficult to have both simultaneously for the same sub-set of students.
Will NTA postpone JEE Main 2020 April Exam?
There is a lot going on around JEE Main 2020. The second Joint Entrance Examination of the session, that is the JEE Main 2020 April, has been undergoing a number of date changes for different reasons.
First of all the last date to apply online underwent a few modifications.
Second change of dates is regarding JEE Main 2020 form correction. All registered candidates can edit form from Friday, March 13, 2020 to March 16, 2020. In fact this correction window will be for fresh as well as appeared candidates. And all options except choice of city will be editable.
And now, most importantly, is on changing the exam date of JEE Main 2020.
A huge setup has to be in place for an exam of this magnitude to be carried out successfully. Changing exam date is a major step for any exam conducting body, and has to be done in a very delicate manner.
Moreover, the whole month of April is almost booked by one or the other entrance exam. And a new date may avoid clashing with board exam, but it will clash with some other exam.
Therefore, the final decision on exam date of JEE Main April 2020 shall be of NTA. Candidates can check jeemain.nta.nic.in for updates on the same.
Editor’s note: Students are requested to avoid panicking over the exam dates. CBSE and NTA are working in tandem, and will ensure the welfare of all candidates.