Karnataka PGCET 2018 M.Tech Syllabus – Polymer Science and Technology
Karnataka Examinations Authority Post Graduate Common Entrance Test (KEA PGCET) M.Tech Admissions 2018 Syllabus for Polymer Science and Technology is given below.
1. Fluid mechanics and statics: Types of fluids – shear stress and velocity gradient relation, Newtonian and non-newtonian fluids, laminar and turbulent flow . Flow in bouondary layers. Reynolds number, Bernoulli equations, Variation of pressure with height – hydrostatic equilibrium, Barometric equation, Measurement of fluid pressure — monometers
2. Chemical process calculations : Concept of mole, Mole fraction, Compositions of mixtures of solids, liquids and gases. Ideal gas law calculations, general material balance equation for steady state.
3. Chemical engineering thermodynamics: Basic concepts – System, Surrounding and processes, Closed and Open systems, State and Properties, Intensive and Extensive Properties, State and Path functions, General statement of first law of thermodynamics, First law for cyclic process, P-V-T behaviour of pure fluids, equations of state and ideal gas law, Processes involving ideal gas law; Constant volume, constant pressure, constant temperature,. Van-der Waals equation,
4. Heat and mass transfer Modes of heat transfer, unilayer and multiplayer condition, forced and natural convection, Introduction to molecular diffusion. in gases and liquids, theories of mass transfer, principles and types of distillations
5. Polymer science: Classification of polymers, Definition of polymerization„ Chain polymerization (free radical, ionic and co-ordination polymerizations), Step (condensation) polymerization, copolymerization Methods of Polymerization (bulk. solution, Suspension, Emulsion.)
6. Polymerization kinetics: Definition of reaction rate, order, molecularity, different theories of reaction rate, activation energy, kinetic expressions for simple first order & second order chemical reactions, kinetics of linear step reaction polymerization, kinetics of addition polymerization initiated by free radical initiator: steady state assumption,
7. Processing Technology: Extrusion, Injection moulding, blow moulding Compression moulding. rotational moulding, thermoforming, Calendering.
8. Polymer manufacturing : Industrial production methods of HDPE, LDPE, PP, PS, PVC, PMMA, Nylon 6 and Nylon 66