NID DAT 2020 – NID offers admission in B.Des, M.Des, and GDPD courses through Design Aptitude Test (DAT). The test consists of prelims and main exam. NID DAT is conducted at all India level. Based on the performance in the test, eligible candidates are called for PI round. Check here latest updated on NID DAT 2020, selection process, important dates, pattern, result, admit card, and more details.
Latest: NID has postponed NID DAT B.Des result announcement and M.Des main studio test / interview. Check details below.
NID DAT 2020
The weightage of prelims and main exam is 30% and 70% respectively for the final selection for admissions. Check important dates in regards to NID Design Aptitude Test 2020 from the table below:
|NID DAT 2020||B.Des / GDPD||M.Des|
|Application form available from||01 Oct 2019|
|Last date to fill the application form|
|Last date to fill the application form with late fee|
|Window to edit the application forms||21 – 23 Nov 2019||21 – 23 Nov 2019|
|Issuance of admit card for DAT Prelims||20 Dec 2019||20 Dec 2019|
|NID DAT Prelims exam date||29 Dec 2019||29 Dec 2019|
|Prelims result declaration|
|Issuance of admit card for NID DAT Main exam||03 Mar 2020|
|NID DAT Mains|
|NID DAT Mains result||to be announced!|
NID B.Des Result and M.Des Main Studio Test/Interview Postponed Notice
As per the notice, NID has postponed the M.Des. DAT Mains/Interview dates and date of declaration of B.Des./GDPD DAT Prelims Result. Check the detailed notice from below image.
NID Delays B.Des Result and M.Des Main Studio Test
In the wake of corona crises, NID has postponed B.Des result and M.Des Studio Test. The official notice for both is as below.
NID DAT 2020 Admit Card
NID releases admit card for NID DAT on the online on the official website. To download it, candidates need email id, date of birth and verification code. Candidates must carry the hardcopy of the admit card along a valid Id proof (aadhar card/ passport/ pan card/ driving license). Admit card for both the stages (prelims and main exam) is issued separately. Those who qualify the prelims exam can download the NID DAT main exam admit card.
NID DAT Result 2020
NID declares NID DAT 2020 result for both Prelims and Mains at admissions.nid.edu. To check the result, candidates need to log in using email id and date of birth. First the result of Prelims is declared, after which the shortlisted candidates appear for Mains exam. The finally shortlisted candidates are then eligible to appear for personal interview. A final merit list is prepared by the Institute based on 30% weightage of the prelims and 70% weightage of the mains.
NID 2020 Reservation of Seats
NID provides the benefits of reservations of seats to reserved categories, check it from the table below:
|Category||Reservations of seats|
NID 2020 Seat Details
Candidates appearing for B.Des, M.Des, GDPD must check the total seats provided by the NID for admissions. Check the seat details from below:
|Course||Seats Intake(all campuses)|
NID DAT Sample Paper
The candidates can check below the sample papers of DAT for preparation purpose.
- Click here to view/download Sample Paper for B.Des./GDPD.
- Click here to view/download Sample Paper for M.Des.
NID DAT 2020 Prelims Exam Pattern
In order to qualify the first stage (prelims) first can must know the exam pattern of the exam. The exam pattern for the same is as follows:
- Mode: exam is going to be conducted in Pen paper-based mode
- Language: All questions are in the English language
- Total marks: Exam is of total 100 marks
- Marking: No negative marking
|Course||Duration of exam|
|One Discipline of M.Des Program||2.5 hrs|
|Two Discipline of M.Des Program||3 hrs|
- Distribution of Marks –
|Part I||MCQs with one or more than one correct answer.||30 marks|
|Part II||Subjective questions with visual or written format answers||70 marks|
NID DAT 2020 Mains Exam Pattern
The mains exam is for the candidates who qualify the prelims. The Mains exam pattern is different for BDes / GDPD and the MDes aspirants, which they can check from the table below:
|Duration||3 days||3 hours|
|Section||Studio Test||Studio Test & Interview|
NID DAT 2020 Syllabus for Prelims
The candidates can check below the topics from where the questions are mostly asked in the prelims exam:
- Innovation in design
- Principles of composition
- Inspiration & design development
- Theme development
- Design theory
- Natural & geometrical form
- Exercises on imagination
- Optical illusion
- Colour, pattern & texture
- Lateral thinking
- Design awareness
- Creative thinking & writing
- Graphics & pictograms
- Form & function
- Drawing fundamentals
- Ornaments & motifs
- Imagination & doodling
- Understanding light & shade
- Elements & principles of design
- Colour psychology & optical illusions
- 3D visualization
- Developing observation
- Good design vs. bad design
- Optical illusion
- Mood, theme & color inter-relationship
- Visual logic
- Outline for beginners
- Colour terminology
- Presentation techniques
- Memory drawing
- Picture analysis
- Usage of color in compositions
- Innovation & creation
- Natural & geometrical form
- Use of measurements, scale & proportions
- Expression & emotion
- Developing themes & colour associations
- Foreshortening & perspective
- Inspiration & creativity
NID DAT 2020 Syllabus for Main
In the mains, practical based tests are taken. The practical based tests are from the below-given areas:
- Model making
- Material manipulation
- Questions generally asked in an interview
- Audio-visual exercises
- Mock interview
- Evolving ideas
- Past studio test & interview questions
- Importance of body language
- Creative thinking
- Guidance on portfolio making
- Interview tips
NID DAT 2020 Preparation Tips
Candidates appearing for the DAT can follow the preparation tips as given below:
- Be creative – NID DAT is judges candidates based on their creative skills and the level of creativity. Thus, it is important to explore your creative side and use it in the examination. Use your imagination and enhance your creativity.
- Speed and accuracy – Mere having creative skills is not enough. Candidates must know how to present those skills within the limited period of time in the exam. Speed and efficiency matter a lot.
- General Knowledge – For general knowledge, be more aware of what is happening around. Read the newspapers daily. Improve your research power. Read books/magazines & develop a real passion for your field.
- Studio and Personal Test – The studio test judges you on your material handling and of course creativity. The personal interview is where the faculty judges/evaluates you in person. Prepare a list about youself, that what you like, what are your hobbies , interest and talent. For both studio and personal round, try to be artistic and imaginative and stand out from the crowd.
NID DAT 2020 Important Books
Candidates can refer to below given important books while preparing for NID DAT 2020:
|Important books||Available at|
|NID Mock Test series||Buy here|
|Guide for NID||Buy here|
|NID M.Des Entrance book||Buy here|
|NID B.Des Entrance and test series||Buy here|
NID Entrance Exam Question Papers & Answer Keys
National Institute of Design (NID) releases the Question Papers & Answer Keys of the prelims exam after the successful completion of the exam. Candidates are able to check the same by login through their Email Id, Date of Birth, Application Form No. & Verification Code.
Last Year Question Papers & Answer Keys:
- Click Here to check the Last Year B.Des Final Answer Key.
- Click Here to check the Last Year M.Des Final Answer Key.
- Login Here to check the NID DAT Question Papers & Answer Keys.
NID Campuses and Courses Offered via DAT 2020
The campuses and the courses offered at the NIDs of the nations is made available in the table below:
|NID Kurukshetra||Graduate Diploma Program in Design (GDPD)|
|NID Vijayawada||Graduate Diploma Program in Design (GDPD)|
|NID Bhopal||Graduate Diploma Program in Design (GDPD)|
|NID Jorhat||Graduate Diploma Program in Design (GDPD)|
Government of India has established the first National Institute of Design (NID) in Ahmedabad (Main Campus) in 1961. It was founded as the national institution for raining in industrial design and visual communication. Now it has a total of 7 campuses including Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar (Post Graduate Campus) and Bengaluru (R&D Campus), Kurukshetra, Bhopal, Jorhat and Vijayawada. It offers various undergraduate, postgraduates, diploma and Ph.D courses on all campuses.
Here we are providing Admission handbook for B.Des/GDPD & M.Des courses. Interested candidates can check it from the link given below.
- Click here to download Admissions Handbook 20-21 : B.Des. / GDPD.
- Click here to download Admissions Handbook 20-21: M.Des.
NID DAT 2020 Exam Frequently Asked Questions
Ans : National Institute of Design (NID) is the conducting body for Design Aptitude Test (DAT)
Ans : NID DAT is conducted for admission to the Bachelor of Design Programme (B.Des.), Master of Design Programme (M.Des.), and Graduate Diploma Programme (GDPD).
Ans : The official website for NID DAT is admissions.nid.edu
Ans : NID DAT 2020 conducts two stages of exam for admission. The first is the prelims exam (30% weightage) and the second stage is the main test (70% weightage)
Ans : Candidates have to fill the application form online through the official website in order to appear for DAT 2020 exam.
Ans : Only those candidates who qualify the prelims are eligible for mains.
Ans : NID DAT is to be conducted on 29 December 2019.
Ans : NID DAT is conducted in offline mode i.e pen and paper mode.
Ans : Graduate Diploma Programme in Design (GDPD) offers specialisation in Industrial Design, Communication Design, and Textile & Apparel Design.
Ans : B.Des is offered only at NID Ahmedabad and offers specialisation in Communication Design, Industrial Design, and textile, apparel, lifestyle and accessory design.
Ans : M.Des programme is offered at Ahmedabad, Bengaluru and Gandhinagar. It offers specialisation in Communication Design, Industrial Design, Information-Technology Integrated Programme, Inter-Disciplinary Design studies and Textile, Apparel, Lifestyle & Accessory Design.
Ans : NID has a total number of 7 campuses which are located in Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar, Bengaluru, Kurukshetra, Bhopal, Jorhat, and Vijayawada
Ans : NID DAT prelims is conducted to test the candidate's Knowledge, Analysis, Visualisation, Comprehension, and Creativity skills.
Official Website: admissions.nid.edu
To get fastest exam alerts and government job alerts in India, join our Telegram channel.