|Exam||Last Date||Apply Now|
|CAT||20 Sep 2017||Click Here|
|NMAT||03 Oct 2017||Click Here|
|SNAP||24 Nov 2017||Click Here|
|XAT||30 Nov 2017||Click Here|
Information updated here as per the last year brochure.
NIFT Admissions 2018 Eligibility
Maximum age: 23 years as on 1st October 2017. The upper age limit shall be relaxed by a period of 5 (five) years for the candidates of Scheduled Castes/Scheduled Tribe/ Differently Abled Person (PHP) subject to following qualifications:
Eligibility for Bachelor Programmes – Design – B.Des. (Fashion Design / Leather Design / Accessory Design / Textile Design / Knitwear Design / Fashion Communication)
- The +2 level examination in the 10+2 pattern of examination of any recognized Central/State Board of Secondary Examination, such as Central Board of Secondary Education / State Board New Delhi, and
- Council for Indian School of Certificate Examination, New Delhi.
- Certificate Education (GCE) Examination (London/Cambridge/Sri-Lanka) at the Advanced (A) level/ International Baccalaureate (IB).
- Public School/Board/University Examination in India or in Foreign countries recognized by the Association of Indian Universities as equivalent to 10+2 system.
- pass grade in the Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Open School with a minimum of five subjects.
- 3 or 4-years diploma recognized by AICTE or a State Board of Technical Education.
Eligibility for Bachelor Programme – Technology
Bachelor of Fashion Technology (Apparel Production) (B.FTech.)
- The +2 level examination in the 10+2 pattern of examination of any recognised Central/State Board of Secondary Examination, such as Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi, and Council for Indian School of Certificate Examination, New Delhi with Physics, Chemistry and Maths.
- General Certificate Education (GCE) Examination (London/Cambridge/Sri- Lanka) at the advanced (A) level with Physics, Chemistry and Maths / International Baccalaureate (IB).
- Any Public School/Board/University Examination in India or in foreign countries recognised by the Association of Indian Universities as equivalent to 10+2 system with Physics, Chemistry and Maths.
- A pass grade in the Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Open School with a minimum of five subjects with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
- 3 or 4-years diploma recognised by AICTE or a State Board of Technical Education.
Eligibility for Master Programme – Design
Age – No age limit
M.Des (Master of Design)
- Undergraduate Degree from any Institute / University recognized by law in India
- Diploma in UG Design from NIFT/NID only.
- Undergraduate Diploma of minimum three years duration from NIFT / NID.
Note: Design Space is an advanced course that demands an understanding of fundamentals in design and presupposes that candidates would be familiar with the basic skills and theories for successful completion of the programme. M.Des. would not provide any basic knowledge and skill development in design as a part of Master programme. The programme provides an option to students to earn final semester credits through ‘Course Work’ or a ‘Dissertation’.
Eligibility for Master Programme – Management
M.F.M (Master of Fashion Management)
- Undergraduate Degree from any Institute / University recognised by law in India.
- Undergraduate Diploma of minimum three years duration from NIFT / NID.
Eligibility for Master Programme – Technology
M.F.Tech. (Master of Fashion Technology)
- B.F.Tech. from NIFT
- B.E / B.Tech. from any Institute / University recognised by law in India.
Candidates appearing in the qualifying examination are also eligible to apply provided:
That they produce a proof of having acquired minimum prescribed qualifications at the time of counselling / admission.
If the 12th class/final year/final semester (as the case may be) result of qualifying degree/certificate examination is not declared by the concerned Board/University till the date of counselling/admission, his/her admission in that case will be strictly provisional subject to the following conditions:
- Affidavit on non-judicial stamp paper of Rs.10/- in the prescribed Proforma (Annexure-I) is submitted. In case the candidate is minor i.e. below 18 years of age, the affidavit shall be signed by his/her parent/guardian. Candidates/ parent /guardians may note that submission of false affidavit is a punishable offence;
- The candidate will submit the final result of qualifying degree/certificate providing his/her eligibility on or before 30th September, 2018 to their Campus Director / Jt. Director where the admission has been granted.
- In case the candidate fails to submit his/her final result of qualifying degree in the manner as prescribed at (ii) above to prove his/her eligibility on or before 30th September, 2018, whatsoever the reason may be his/her admission will be treated as null and void (cancelled) and entire fee will be forfeited. Any exception will be as per the decision of DG-NIFT, on a case to case basis.
- The Campus Director / Jt. Director will be responsible to ensure that the eligibility of all students meet prescribed qualification for admission specially in case of provisional students. The provisional admission will automatically stand cancelled if the candidate fails to submit result in time i.e. 30th September, 2018.
- Those candidates who are seeking provisional admission due to non-declaration of their final year/final semester/12th class (refer Annexure -I) will provide proof of having passed all papers in all the previous years /semesters of qualifying degree examination (whichever relevant).
- The candidates will also bring the date sheet /admit card/ Principal’s certificate as proof of having appeared in the qualifying exam.
- Candidates who have appeared for compartment/ Supplementary examination(s) in the 12th standard or final semester/ final year of graduation and the result of the same is not declared by the time of counseling/ admission, such candidates will be considered for admission as per para 1 (b) (ii) above, for the academic session 2018-19.
Any candidate who has not appeared for the qualifying exam before the date of counselling/ admission to NIFT, will not be eligible.
It is further clarified that provisional admission will be considered only in such cases where the result of Final year/semester of the qualifying degree has not been declared by the concerned Board/University in its totality. In case the result has been declared by the concerned Board/ University but it has not been declared in a specific case, for any reason, such cases will not be considered under provisional admission category
NIFT Admissions 2018 Reservations
The seats reserved for SC / ST / Differently Abled Candidates (PHP) / Foreign Nationals / SAARC / NRI, in each programme are as under:
- SC 15%
- ST 7.5%
- OBC (NON-CREAMY) 27%
- Differently Abled Person (PHP): 3% Horizontal reservation for Differently Abled Person (with 40% or more disability) cutting across all sections i.e. SCs, STs, OBCs Non-Creamy and General category. Campus and programme will be allotted on rotation, at NIFT’s discretion.
- Foreign Nationals/SAARC/NRI 15% (supernumerary)
- State Domiciles 20% (supernumerary)
Category once filled up in the application form will not be changed at any stage.
The qualifying candidates need to meet the eligibility and admission requirements of NIFT.
SC/ST Candidates: Candidates applying under this reserved quota will have to produce a Caste/Tribe certificate from the Competent Authorities of the respective States/Union Territories/ National Commission of Tribes.
OBC (Non-Creamy) Candidates: Candidates applying under this quota would have to satisfy the caste and creamy layer requirement details. Candidates applying under this quota will have to produce a caste certificate from the Competent Authorities of the respective States/Union Territories certifying that they do not belong to the creamy layer. The certificate should be current. This should have been issued in favour of the candidate not earlier than September 01, 2016. Failure to produce an appropriate certificate from a competent authority shall make the candidate ineligible for counselling, Such applicants will not be offered admission. Requests for provisional admission will not be entertained.
Differently Abled Candidates (PHP)
Medical Certificate issuing Authority for Physically Handicapped Candidates(PHP)
At the time of submission of application, Physically Handicapped candidates will be required to necessarily attach a copy of Disability Certificate issued in Form II, Form III or Form IV as applicable to a person with disability as defined in sub-clause (t) of section 2 by a medical authority as defined under section- 4 of rules framed by Central/State Govt. in exercise of the powers conferred by sub-sections (1) and (2) of section 73 of the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995 (1 of 1996).Such candidates are required to produce the original Medical Certificate both at the time of Counselling and at the time for Admission to the institute.
It is mandatory for the Differently Abled candidates to attend the Counselling for evaluation. The course will be allotted to the candidates after assessing the capabilities of the candidate. NIFT may consider applications from PHP students for providing external assistance during assessments, with the condition that the expenses for the same will be borne fully by the student/ applicant. It is however recommended that the student/ applicant arrange his/her own external assistant for this purpose as this will ensure a better fit for individual needs.
NIFT will assess the actual physical/psychological capability of a candidate selected for counseling of a particular programme/ course as per the specific requirements of that particular Programme/ course by a Board constituted at each campus by the Campus Director. The three members Board will consist of a Medical Officer/Psychologist, a Faculty from the concerned department (Design/ Technology/Management) and an Administrative Officer. Candidates are advised to come prepared for such assessments at the time of counseling. NIFT may utilize its laboratories/equipment/test materials for making such assessment of the physical/psychological capability of a candidate for undertaking that Programme/ course and may tailor such test for each individual separately as decided by the Board. The assessment is compulsory for all candidates seeking reservation under this category.
The Board in its proceedings will recommend whether the candidate is capable or otherwise for undertaking the particular programme/course he has applied. A copy of such order will also be communicated to the candidate in writing under acknowledgement informing him that he can make an appeal against the order, in which case the appeal will be referred to another Standing Board at Head office (HO) whose recommendation will be final and no further representation will be accepted. NIFT reserves the right to disqualify the candidature in case of inability of the candidate to perform for a particular programme.
The table below indicates the type of assessment that may be conducted by a Board of NIFT for various categories of disability and programmes:
|Program||Criteria / Method||Suitability / Capability|
|Design||Drawing/ Sketching/ making models/ colour sense/ operating machines/ computer keyboard manually/ mobility||Visual clarity||Minor speech dis- ability||Minor Hearing disability||No major locomotor disability in hand, legs, face & neck||Sound mental health|
|Technology||Operating Computer keyboard/ operation of machines manually/ mobility||Minor visual disability||Minor speech disability||Minor Hearing disability||No major locomotor disability in hand, legs, face & neck||Sound mental health|
|Fashion Management||Operating computer keyboard manu- ally/ mobility||Minor visual disability||Minor speech disability||Minor Hearing disability||No major locomotor disability in hand, legs, face & neck||Sound mental health|
Foreign Nationals / SAARC / NRI
Fifteen percent (15%) of total seats (5 seats) on supernumerary basis in each discipline in Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Bengaluru, Chennai, Hyderabad, Gandhinagar and Raebareli are reserved for admission of Foreign Nationals whether residing in India or abroad, applicants from SAARC countries and Non Resident Indian (Non Resident Indian is a citizen of India who holds and Indian passport and has temporarily immigrated to another country for six months or more for work, residence or any other purpose). The admission to NIFT programmes for foreign nationals / SAARC / NRI candidates will be based on the following examinations:
|Bachelor Progaramme (B.Des & B.FTech)||SAT-1 Score|
|Master Programme (MFM, M.Des & M.FTech)||GMAT and GRE Score|
Campus / Programme will be allotted on the basis of merit list drawn as per the scores obtained by the candidates. Candidate may appear in as many as SAT-1 /GMAT/GRE examination prior to 30th April 2017. The highest score among the test will be taken into consideration for allotment of seat at Centre.
Procedure for Applying Under Foreign Nationals / SAARC / NRI Category
Those seeking admission under this category have to apply online at website www.nift.ac.in or https://applyadmission.net/NIFTNRI2017. The last date for applying under this category is 30th April 2017.
Candidates applying for Bachelor Programmes of NIFT should arrange to send SAT-1 scores directly from College Board, USA, to NIFT. SAT-I scores have to be submitted through College Board to NIFT. The Designated Institution (DI) Code is 7258.
The Campus and Programme will be allotted to the candidates based on SAT- I/GMAT/ GRE score as well as the preference of the candidate.
Internet downloaded score cards are not acceptable. Candidates at the time of registration for SAT-1 should indicate DI code: 7258 for sending their scores to NIFT New Delhi.
Candidates applying for Master Programmes i.e. Master of Fashion Management (MFM), should arrange to send GMAT test scores while those applying for Master of Design (M.Des.) and Master of Fashion Technology (M.FTech.) should arrange to send GRE test scores directly to NIFT. The GRE/GMAT/SAT-I scores should not have been declared before 1st January, 2015 and should be received by the Institute latest by 30th April, 2017. The applicants must designate NIFT Programmes as choice in the GRE/ GMAT/SAT-I.
Candidates seeking admission under this category should apply in the prescribed Application Form online.
The candidates who fulfill the admission criteria specified above may apply online with requisite application fee of $100 through the Online NIFT Payment gateway.
The candidates selected under this category shall pay the fee at the time of admission for the first academic year consisting of two semesters. They would also need to obtain a valid residential permit or student visa for the prescribed duration of the programme.
Hostel Accommodation and Other Expenses: Hostel fee and other expenses, indicated in Admission Prospectus may vary from one NIFT Campus to another. The hostel fee is required to be paid by the candidate directly to the Campus at the time of admission/joining. Candidates are advised to visit the website or contact the concerned authorities of the NIFT Campuses for detailed information regarding hostel accommodation and related expenses.
State Domicile Preferential Seats: Twenty percent (20%), i.e 06 supernumerary seats in addition to 30 seats will be offered for admission as State Domicile Preferential Seats to candidate who belong to the States where the following NIFT campuses are located :
|8||Srinagar*||Jammu & Kashmir*|
The domicile of the student will be the state in which he/she has completed his/ her class 12 examination/graduation. A certificate from the school /college may be obtained.
Candidates who are domicile of the States where the NIFT Campuses exist will be allowed to opt for this preference while filling online application form. However, they have a choice to take admission under General / ST/ SC / OBC category (as applicable) as per merit to any course/campus of their choice. The domicile of the candidate in a particular state shall not be applicable in any other Campuses of NIFT in any other State.
Reservation of SCs / STs/ OBCs (non creamy layer)/ Physically Handicapped candidates, shall be applicable to the domicile seats also.
The Domicile seats remaining vacant will be offered to the children /wards of NRI as per merit during counseling, subject to non availability of candidates under that category.