The Government of India established the All India Institute of Mental Health in 1954 in association with the then existing Mental Hospital of the Government of Karnataka. Major objective of the Institute was to generate manpower in the field of mental health and neurosciences. The Mental Hospital, Bangalore, which had built up certain traditions since 1938 in matters related to undergraduate training in the field of Psychiatry was chosen by the Government of India as the center for training. In tune with this objective, two diploma courses – one in Psychological Medicine (DPM) and the other in Medical Psychology (DMP) were started in January 1955. These were followed by a Post Certificate Course in Psychiatric Nursing (DPN) in January 1956. The Institute was then affiliated to the University of Mysore for these courses.