National Institute of Technology (NIT), Rourkela invites candidates for admission to Ph. D Program of the Institute in Autumn Semester 2020-21 commencing from July 2020. Admissions will be given preferably to the applicants who are eligible for Institute fellowship or have qualified for external fellowships. However, admission may also be considered without fellowship. Students with an external fellowship like JRF-NET are especially encouraged to apply
Latest: Ph.D Application Form is available now. Scroll down to Apply.
NIT Rourkela Ph.D Admission 2020
Eligible and Interested candidates may apply online from the official website, nitrkl.ac.in as per the scheduled date. Candidates are advised to read the instructions carefully before filling the application form.
Important schedule NIT Rourkela Admission 2020-21 for July Session
|Availability Application Form||02 – 21 Jul 2020|
|Receipt of Print-out and DD/BC by post||24 Jul 2020|
|Publication of result of scrutiny|
in the website (announcement section)
|28 Jul 2020|
|Date of Test and Interview||07 Aug 2020|
|Publication of result of Interview||12 Aug 2020|
|Admission||13 Aug 2020|
|Semester Registration||14 Aug 2020|
|Starting of Class / Research work||17 Aug 2020|
NIT Rourkela Ph.D Admission 2020 Application Form
Interested candidates satisfying the eligibility criteria may submit their online application at the official website.
- Read this advertisement and the instructions to fill up the online application form given in the online portal carefully
- Fill up and submit the online application form accordingly
- Prepare Demand Draft / Banker’s Cheque drawn in favor of “Director, NIT Rourkela” and payable in any bank in Rourkela for an application fee of Rs.500/-. Payment through the online application portal is not available currently.
- Take print-out of the online application form and send the same along with the DD/BC by Regd./Speed Post [not by hand or courier] to the following address. Write “your name and Application ID” on the backside of the DD/BC and “Application for Ph.D.” on the envelope for proper identification. Address – Dy. Registrar [Academic] National Institute of Technology Rourkela – 769 008 [Odisha]
- Sponsored candidates are required to submit the scanned copy of the sponsorship certificate while submitting an online application.
Applicants are not required to send a hard copy of the application form or any other document to NIT Rourkela. However, candidates who will be called for an interview will be required to submit a signed copy of the application form, a set of photocopies of all certificates and original sponsorship certificate (for sponsored candidates only) at the time of interview. They also need to produce original certificates from HSC onwards for verification. The signed copy of application form along with a set of photocopies of all certificates will be forwarded to the Academic Office by the department for record
Apply Online: Applicants fill the application form via direct link is given below.
- Click here to register for NIT Rourkela Admission 2020-21 to Ph.D.
- Click here to login for already registered candidates.
NIT Rourkela Ph.D Admission 2020 Eligibility Criteria
Eligibility criteria for the Ph.D. program:
The minimum qualification required for admission to Ph. D programs in Engineering, Science, Planning & Architecture, Management, and Humanities & Social Sciences is one of the following:
- M.E./M.Tech./M.Pharm in relevant discipline with at least 6.5 CGPA or 60 percent marks in aggregate in both B.Tech. (or M.Sc./B.Pharm/ MCA or equivalent) and M.Tech. levels from a recognized Technical Institute or University.
- B.E./B.Tech./B.Pharm/MCA or equivalent in relevant discipline with CGPA of 7.0 or 65 percent marks in aggregate.
- M.Sc. in Basic Sciences with CGPA 7.0 or 65 percent marks in aggregate in relevant disciplines. For applicants with valid GATE/NET/GPAT score, a requirement may be relaxed to 0.5 CGPA or 5% marks.
- M.B.B.S./B.V.Sc. with CGPA 6.5 or 60 percent marks in aggregate. Further, candidates having the following qualification can also apply for Ph. D in Management and Humanities & Social Sciences:
- M.A. / MBA / M.Com. / M. Sc. in Humanities and Social Sciences or Management with 6.5 CGPA or 60 percent marks in aggregate.
Qualifying Degrees and Primary Disciplines for Admission
In addition to the above eligibility criteria (based on B. Tech., M.Sc., MBA, MA, M. Com., M. Tech., and M. Pharm., etc. examinations), the following additional criteria will also be applicable:-
- A candidate should score a minimum of 60% marks or 6.5/10 CGPA throughout a career to be eligible for admission to Ph. D program. The DRC, however, may make one exception (marks <60% or Grade < 6.5/10) at its discretion from among the results of 10th, +2, BA, B.Sc., Diploma etc. (except qualifying degree) if the candidate has qualified GATE/NET/GPAT or other national level fellowship tests like DST-INSPIRE, RGNF, etc.
- For admission to Engineering and Science disciplines (except Life Science), a candidate should have passed Mathematics in +2 Science.
- Science students admitted to Ph. D program in Engineering needs Mathematics at +3 level. Students without Mathematics in +3 level may be admitted under the condition that they will have to register for 16 credits of 100 and 200 level Mathematics and 100 level Computer Science courses (Theory and Practical) in addition to their normal course requirement, and secure at least C grade in each course.
- a student should have passed Life Science or Biological Science either in +2 or +3 level for admission to Ph. Din Life Science department.
- Students without adequate background in the primary discipline will be required to have 10% extra marks (1.0 CGPA) to qualify over students with specialization in a primary discipline unless explicitly exempted by the Senate.
However, higher shortlisting criteria (possibly different for different departments) may be set by the Department during scrutiny of applications depending on the departmental requirement, number, and quality of applicants. Therefore, merely satisfying the minimum eligibility criteria does not guarantee a candidate to be called for interview and mere attending an interview does not guarantee admission.
NIT Rourkela Ph.D Admission 2020 Result
NIT Rourkela will be declared the result of the Test and Interview & Scrutiny Result of Applications for Admission To Ph.D. Programme 2020-21. The result shall be available in a PDF format on the official website of NIT. Candidates can also check their results from the link provided below.
Application Awaiting Results
- For thesis-based Postgraduate degrees [(M. Tech. (Research), MS or equivalent], a student is permitted to submit the final result within one year from the date of the thesis submission. However, one documentary evidence (proof of thesis submission) from the candidate’s Institute/University is required to be submitted at the time of admission.
- For all course-based degrees [B. Tech., M. Sc.., MBA, M. Tech. (Regular), etc.] results need to have been published before admission is granted. In exceptional cases when a university will not be in a position to publish result by the time of admission, submission of qualifying degree result may be permitted till August 30, 2020, but not beyond.
NIT Rourkela Ph.D Admission 2020 Fee Structure
Fees to be paid at the time of admission to Ph.D. Programmes:
|Institute Fees||Amount to be paid at the time of admission|
|Admission fee (One-time fee)||Rs. 2500|
|Tuition fee||Rs. 7500 (Nil for SC/ST students)|
|Other fees (Exam, Library, Electricity, etc.)||Rs. 3000|
|Student activity fee||Rs. 2000|
|Hostel Seat rent||Rs. 5000|
|Medical fee||Rs. 2000|
|Caution Money (Refundable if a programme is completed) (one time)||Rs. 10000|
|Hall Establishment fee||Rs. 5000|
|Mess Advance||Rs. 19500|
(Rs. 49,500/- for SC/ST)
- The above fee is only for the 1st semester. For remaining semesters the approximate fee will be Rs.44,000/- per semester (Rs.36,500 /- for SC/ST students) which is inclusive of Mess dues. However, the Institute reserves the right to amend the fee structure from time to time, which will be implemented with immediate effect for all students irrespective of the date of admission.
- A fee will be paid by the selected students online in the Institute payment portal details of which will be notified along with selection of results. In case of exigencies, the fee may be paid through Debit/Credit Card or demand draft is drawn in favor of “Director, NIT, Rourkela” and payable at any bank in Rourkela which will be collected on-spot during admission
Refund of Fee:
If a student is removed or withdraws/leaves himself/herself from the Institute after admission without completing the entire program, all fees paid including the caution money deposit will be forfeited by the institute. Mess advance may be refunded after the deduction of dues if any. This clause is applicable even before formal registration to the 1st semester and starting of classes.
- Where the regular mode of education is available for any Degree/Qualification then Degree/Qualification obtained otherwise than through regular mode, i.e. Distance Learning, Correspondence Course, etc. will NOT be considered for the purpose of admission to Ph. D program of the Institute.
- For the selection of Research scholars in engineering disciplines, Students with B. Tech. degree will be given preference over students with M.Sc. degree, even if the latter may have an M. Tech. Degree.
- Students with any other relevant background may be eligible, but only with the approval of the Senate or Chairman, Senate on the recommendation of the Departmental Research Committee (DRC).
- There is no relaxation in an academic requirement for SC/ST/OBC/PH/PWD students because the minimum academic requirements have been set to meet the basic challenges of the academic program. Also, the academic eligibility shall be the same across all studentship categories (Institute fellowship, External fellowship, Project fellowship, Sponsored, etc.).
- The required CGPA/percentage should be the aggregate of CGPA/percentage based on all subjects of all semesters/years.
- The rule for conversion from CGPA to a percentage or vice-versa, if prescribed by Degree Issuing Institute/University will be accepted. However, if no such rule is prescribed by Degree Issuing Institute/University, the conversion will not be allowed.
- Students of one discipline may seek admission in a related department which will be considered on the basis of merit of the individual case(s).
- Selection will be made on the basis of academic record, the relevance of qualification, candidate’s research interest, existing research programs and facilities of the departments, and performance of the candidate in tests and/or interviews. Therefore, merely attending a test and/or an interview does not guarantee admission.
- Scrutiny Criteria may be different for different categories of students.
Official Website : nitrkl.ac.in
For getting more information about NIT Ph.D. Programme 2020, candidates can – Download Admission Notice.
To get fastest exam alerts and government job alerts in India, join our Telegram channel.