How To Prepare For XAT
- First of all know that there are primarily 4 types of questions in XAT exam: concept driven (QA, DI), practice intensive (DM), environment sensitive (GK) and Verbal and Logical Ability (VA & LR).
- Develop quick reading and comprehension skills to ace Verbal and Logical Ability.
- Practice geometry, number system, functions, permutation and combination, probability, data interprepation questions.
- Read newspapers and static GK books.
- Write essays and get inputs on them from language teachers to assess how to get better at them.
In order to score high in the XAT exam, it is important to practice past year XAT question papers. A comprehensive list of topics that can be referred to as XAT syllabus 2019 is given below as per an analysis of previous year question papers.
Verbal and Logical Ability
This section focuses on Reading comprehension and usage of english. For last few years, the level of difficulty is quite high.
- Jumbled paragraph
- Reading comprehension
- Para Jumble
- Critical Reasoning
- Sentence correction
- Completion of sentences
- Fill in the blanks with suitable answer
It is a unique section which neither CAT nor any other national level entrance exam introduced till date. This section will test aspirant’s problem solving skills. Below are some topics as per the previous year question papers:
- Conditions and Grouping Test;
- Data Arrangement Test;
- Complex Arrangement;
- Decision Making in a situation;
- Case lets
Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation
Maximum number of questions are from this section as well as the level of difficulty is highest among all. The topics asked are mostly of matriculation level with increased difficulty level.
- Algebraic Function
- Profit and Loss
- Mensuration-2D and 3-D
- Speed and Distance
- Heights and Distance
- Direction sense and Time
- Data Interpretation
Number of questions were 25 last year and had moderate level of difficulty. Most of the questions are based on ongoing events across the globe and also pertaining to following topics:
- Nation and states
- Awards and Recognitions
- International Relations
- Merger and Acquisition
The essays given on social and economic events will test candidate’s writing skills. There could be choice given between two topics and duration of exam is 20 to 25 minutes.
Important Books To Prepare for XAT 2018
|Word Power Made Easy||Norman Lewis|
|How to Read Better and Faster by Norman Lewis||Norman Lewis|
|High School English Grammar and Composition||Wren and Martin|
|NCERT Grammar books||–|
|Quantitative Aptitude for XAT||Arun Sharma|
|Data Interpretation||Arun Sharma|
|Quantitative Aptitude Quantum XAT||Sarvesh K Verma|
|XAT solved sample papers||Gautam Puri|
|Pearson General Knowledge Manual||Pearson Education|
|XAT general awareness question bank||Disha Publication|
|Manorama Yearbook||Malayala Manorama|
- For Essay writing: 151 Essays of Arihant Publications
- For Contemporary Essay Writing: Tata Mcgraw Hills Publications
Toppers Tips – You can also refer to the XAT Topper tips and prepare for the exam from here.
To get fastest exam alerts and government job alerts in India, join our Telegram channel.