The National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER) at S.A.S Nagar (Mohali) created as a Centre of Excellence in imparting higher education, research and development in pharmaceutical sciences and management is the first Institute of its kind in the country.
The Institute was declared as an Institute of National Importance by Government of India through an Act of Parliament, notified on 26th June 1998. The Institute is a member of the Association of Indian Universities. During the years 2007 and 2008, Government of India established six more NIPERs, at the following locations with the help of mentor institutes:-
- Ahmedabad (Mentor Institute- B. V. Patel Pharmaceutical Education and Research Development (PERD) Centre), Ahmedabad
- Guwahati (Mentor Institute- Government Medical College, Guwahati)
- Hajipur (Mentor Institute- Rajendra Memorial Research Institute of Medical Sciences, Patna)
- Hyderabad (Mentor Institute- Indian Institute of Chemical Technology, Hyderabad)
- Kolkata (Mentor Institute- Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, Kolkata)
- Rae Bareli (Mentor Institute- Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow).