Looking for information on architecture entrance exams? This is the right place for you. In India, admission in UG and PG architecture course is done on the basis of entrance examination. Institutes and colleges either conduct its own entrance exam or consider score of national / state level examination. To be eligible for architecture entrance exam, candidates must have studies 10+2 / qualifying exam with physics, chemistry, and mathematics as core subject. However, the eligibility for each exam varies. You can check complete details on architecture entrance exam from this page.
Architecture Entrance Exam (UG)
Some of the exams that are conducted to offer admission in the undergraduate courses are given below.
- COMEDK UGET
- Direct Admission of Students Abroad (DASA)
- Direct Admission of Students Abroad (DASA) PG
- Joint Entrance Examination (Main) Paper II
- JEE Advanced AAT
- National Aptitude Test in Architecture (NATA)
- Sathyabama University Entrance Exam 2019
Architecture Entrance Exam (PG)
UG and PG Architecture Courses
The list of undergraduate and postgraduate courses under architecture is as given below:
- Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch)
- Bachelor of Planning (B.Plan)
- Diploma in Architecture
- Diploma in Architecture Engineering
Difference between B.Arch and B.Plan – Bachelor’s in Architecture is a 5 year programme whereas, Bachelor’s in Planning is a 4 year degree programme. B.Arch deals with singular building, in 2D and 3D. Whereas, B.Plan is focused on planning aspect.
- Master of Planning (M.Plan)
- Master of Architecture (M.Arch)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Architecture (Ph.D. Architecture)
Difference between M.Arch and M.Plan – M.Arch requires study in architectural disciplines like urban design, landscape design, architectural conservation. M.Planning on the other hand involves higher studies in regional planning, town planning, environmental planning etc. M.Arch takes in students who have completed B.Arch whereas, to pursue M.Arch, the candidates have completed their graduation in physical planning, geography, sociology etc.
About NATA by CoA
Council of Architecture (CoA) conducts National Aptitude Test in Architecture (NATA), to fill B.Arch seats in the colleges of India. It is held twice a year in April and July.
Who can apply for NATA? – To appear in this exam, the following eligibility is to be fulfilled:
- Candidates who have passed class 12th with mathematics as the compulsory subject.
- The candidates are required to score minimum of 50% aggregate in PCM. Other than this, candidates must have also secured more than 50% marks these subjects, individually. OR
- The candidates must have passed 10+2+3 diploma examination with mathematics as compulsory subject with at least 50 % marks in aggregate.
About JEE Main Paper 2 by NTA
Joint Entrance Examination Main is conducted by National Testing Agency. The exam is held twice a year in January and April. Through this examination, admission in B.Arch, as well as, B.Plan is granted.
Who can apply for JEE Main Paper 2? – Candidates who fulfill below mentioned criteria can apply for the exam.
- The candidates must have passed class 12th / equivalent exam.
- Candidates appearing for 12th exam can also apply.
- The centralized counselling of JEE Main for admission in NITs, CFTIs, IIITs is called as JoSAA. To participaing in that counselling and get architecture admission in these colleges, candidates must have passed 10+2 with mathematics, physics, chemistry. B.Plan aspirants only need maths in class 12th.
COMEDK stands for Consortium of Medical, Engineering and Dental Colleges in Karnataka. It conducts Undergraduate Common Entrance Test (UGET) for the students who want to pursue undergraduate courses. However, to pursue B.Arch, following eligibility requirements have to be kept in mind.
Who can apply for COMEDK? –
- Candidates who have passed their 10+2 with minimum 50% marks can apply for COMEDK.
- The candidates who have qualified NATA or JEE Main can apply for COMEDK.
DASA UG and PG
Direct Admissions of Students Abroad for both undergraduate and post – graduate programmes is done by National Institute of Technology, Surathkal, Karnataka. Under DASA scheme in the undergradute programmes, candidates are granted admission based on SAT score. Through DASA, candidates can take admission in PG courses as well like M.Tech / M.Arch / M.Des. The candidates who have qualified GMAT / GRE can apply for DASA PG courses.
About JEE Advanced AAT
JEE Advanced Architecture Aptitude Test (AAT) is conducted for the students who wish take admission in B.Arch. The candidates who want to pursue architecture need to separately register themselves after the declaration of result for JEE Advanced AAT.
Who can apply? –
- Candidates who have qualified JEE Advanced can take admission in this course.
- The candidates who have qualified JEE Main can also admission in this course.
About Satyabhama Entrance Exam
Satyabhama Institute of Science and Technology conducts an entrance test for the students who want to pursue B.Arch. Check the eligibility criteria given below.
Who can apply for Satyabhama Entrance Exam? –
- Candidates who have passed 10th / HSC / ICSE or equivalent exam with PCM with minimum 45% aggregate.
- Candidates who have a valid score in NATA can also apply.
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is conducted by IIT Delhi. It is a national level entrance test that is conducted to test the knowledge of candidates in undergraduate subjects in Engineering / Technology / Architecture and postgraduate subjects in Science.
Who can apply? – For taking admission through GATE, candidates must follow the follow the eligibility requirements given below.
- The candidates must have completed their graduation from engineering and science backgrounds in order to apply for GATE.
- The candidates who want to pursue M.Arch must possess a B.Arch degree or must be doing B.Arch in the same year of taking admission.
- There is no age limit to apply for GATE.
Top Architecture Colleges in India
Check the list of the best colleges in India given below for pursuing Architecture.
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Dwarka, New Delhi
- Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra
- School of Planning and Architecture, Bhopal
- IIT Kharagpur
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
- IIT Roorkee
- IIT Calicut
- School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi
- National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirapalli
- Anna University
- BMS College of Architecture
Job Profiles After Architecture Course
Candidates can get into the following job profiles after getting their studies done in the architecture course.
- Architecture engineer
- Estate manager
- Landscape architect
- Structural engineer
- CAD Technician
- Construction Manager
- Interior designer
- Town planner
Top Recruiting Companies in India
Check the list given below to see what are best possible companies that offer job to candidates who have done Architecture.
- Sahara Group
- C.P Kukreja Associates
- Kembhavi Architecture Foundation
- Somaya & Kalappa Consultants
Salary Package of an Architect
The salary package of a candidate depends on various factors. Candidates who have completed their course from top institutes like IITs, can land a package of 18 to 20 lakh. However, the general range for package for the beginners is between 2 to 5 lakh per annum. Candidates should note that this is just for the freshers, the salary of architect keeps on increasing with experience.
If you have any query regarding any of the specific exam, please ask in comments of that page. Or you can ask here in the comments below.
To get fastest exam alerts and government job alerts in India, join our Telegram channel.