GATE 2018 is organized by IIT Guwahati. There are 23 papers in Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering. They are scheduled in different sessions on February 3, 4, 10, and 11, 2018. Purpose of the exam is to test graduates, on a common platform, in order to compare their merit for postgraduate admission. It is for Masters and Doctoral programs admission in IITs and IISc. Also, several other engineering colleges make result of GATE 2018 the basis for PG admissions. In addition, PSUs offer recruitment through GATE 2018. Details of the exam and latest news are available online. Know about GATE 2018 application form, form correction, admit card, result, cut off, syllabus, exam pattern here.
GATE 2018 is a computer based test. Its score is valid for a period of three (3) years. Qualifying GATE examination makes a candidate eligible for applying to PSU recruitment, attending counselling for admission to Masters / direct Doctoral programs in Engineering / Technology / Architecture, Doctoral programs in relevant science programs. All events are as per GATE 2018 important dates of following table.
|Commencement of application form submission||31 Aug 2017|
|Last date to submit application form||05 Oct 2017|
|Availability of details regarding form correction||25 Sep 2017|
|Last date to request examination city change||17 Nov 2017|
|Availability of GATE 2018 admit card||05 Jan 2018|
|Dates of exam||3, 4, 10, 11 Feb 2018|
|Release of official answer keys (expected)||1st week of Mar 2018|
|GATE 2018 Result declaration||17 Mar 2018|
GATE 2018 Application Form
GATE 2018 application form was released online. Eligible candidates can go for GATE 2018 registration at GOAPS. Registration for GATE 2018 generates a GOAPS Enrollment ID which will be used for login. For the purpose of entering online application, keep password safely.
- Steps involved in filling up GATE 2018 registration are all online.
- Enter name, date of birth, personal mobile number, parents’ name, parents’ mobile number, address, education, GATE paper in application form.
- Upload photograph and signature.
- Pay application fee (Rs 750 for female or SC / ST / PwD candidates / Rs 1500 for other candidates) using net banking / credit card / debit card. In the event that examination center has been opted outside India, then application fee is US$ 50 for Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka and Kathmandu, and US$ 100 for Dubai and Singapore.
- Candidates need not send hard copy of filled in registration of GATE 2018 in offline mode to IIT Guwahati.
- Application status is displayed after form is submitted.
GATE 2018 Application Form Correction
Exam conducting body strongly advices candidates to avoid mistakes in application form. At beginning of form filling, any detail on correction is not mentioned in brochure. Furthermore, IITG has announced details of form correction. Candidates can mail zonal GATE office with nature of correction and documents as proof.
Books recommended for GATE 2018
|GATE Mechanical Engineering Solved Papers||Buy Online|
|GATE Computer Science & IT Engineering Solved Papers||Buy Online|
|GATE Guide Electronics & Communication Engineering||Buy Online|
|GATE Civil Engineering Solved Papers||Buy Online|
|GATE Electrical Engineering Solved Papers||Buy Online|
|GATE Engineering Mathematics||Buy Online|
GATE Eligibility 2018
Candidates must check GATE 2018 eligibility criteria before applying.
- Those who have any of the following degrees can apply for GATE 2018.
- BE / B.Tech / B.Pharma 4 years after 10+2 or 3 years after B.Sc / Diploma in engineering
- B.Sc (Research) / B.S.
- M.Sc / MA / MCA or equivalent masters degree in any branch of science / mathematics / statistics / computer applications or equivalent
- Integrated ME / M.Tech post B.Sc
- Integrated M.Sc or Integrated BS-MS
- Professional society exams that are equivalent to BE / B.Tech / B.Arch
- It is equally important to note that for GATE 2018 there is no age limit.
- Year of qualifying qualifying exam should be no later than 2018 for BE / B.Tech / B.Pharm / B.Arch / B.Sc Research / B.S. / M.Sc / MA / MCA / Integrated M.Sc / Integrated BS-MS.
- Year of qualifying qualifying exam should be no later than 2019 for Integrated ME / M.Tech of Dual Degree after Diploma or 10+2, and 2020 for Integrated ME / M.Tech post B.Sc.
GATE Exam Pattern
It is important to know GATE exam pattern to be familiar with examination. Preparation must be done with exam pattern of GATE in mind.
- GATE is a computer based test. There will be two types of questions namely MCQs and NATs in the exam.
- MCQs are Multiple choice questions. The questions will be followed by options, out of which one will be most appropriate and has to be marked as answer.
- NATs are Numerical answer type questions. The answer to these questions will either be integers or decimals. Also, an appropriate range will be considered while evaluating the numerical answer type questions so that the candidate is not penalized due to the usual round-off errors.
- Some questions will be of 1 mark and some will be of 2 marks.
- Only MCQs will have negative marking.
- For a 1 mark question, there will be 1/3 negative marking. Whereas for a 2 marks question, there will be 2/3 negative marking.
- There will be overall 65 questions of 100 marks.
GATE 2018 Syllabus
Official GATE 2018 Syllabus is now available. Click on link for syllabus above to get the complete syllabus for all papers.
GATE 2018 Syllabus of AE, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, EC, EE, IN, ME, MN, MT, PE, PI, TF and XE
- Engineering Mathematics will carry around 15% of the total marks.
- General Aptitude section will carry 15% of the total marks.
- Remaining 70% of the total marks is devoted to the subject of the paper.
GATE 2018 Syllabus of AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH and XL
- General Aptitude section will carry 15% of the total marks.
- Remaining 85% of the total marks is devoted to the subject of the paper.
GATE 2018 Admit Card
Admit cards shall be issued through the medium of GOAPS in 01st week of January 2018. It is required to bring a printed copy of the GATE 2018 admit card to the test centre along with the original identification card. You may bring any one of the following:-
- Passport, Voter ID, PAN Card, Aadhaar UID, Employee identification card, Valid College ID or Driving License is valid.
- For International candidates, ONLY a valid Passport/ Government issued ID/College ID/ Employee ID is valid.
List of GATE 2018 exam centres is divided zonewise under IITs and IISc. Candidates can select any 3 cities from list of cities in order of preference. Exam conducting body will allot any one city, as per availability. Details of allotted GATE 2018 exam center will be notified by means of admit card. Overall 202 cities will have centers for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (IIT GATE) 2018.
Zone: IISc Bangalore
Examination cities: Ananthapuramu, Angamaly, Bagalkot, Ballari (Bellary), Belagavi (Belgaum), Bengaluru, Bidar, Davanagere, Hassan, Hubballi (Hubli), Hyderabad, Kalaburagi (Gulbarga), Kannur, Kasaragod, Kolar, Kozhikode, Kurnool, Malappuram, Mangaluru, Manipal, Mysuru (Mysore), Palakkad, Payyanur, Port Blair, Shivamogga (Shimoga), Thrissur, Tumakuru, Vatakara..
Zone: IIT Bombay
Examination cities: Ahmedabad, Ahmednagar, Amravati, Anand, Aurangabad, Bhavnagar, Bhuj, Gandhinagar, Goa, Jalgaon, Kolhapur, Mehsana, Mumbai, Nagpur, Nanded, Nashik, Navi Mumbai, Pune, Rajkot, Ratnagiri, Sangli, Satara, Solapur, Surat, Thane, Vadodara.
Zone: IIT Delhi
Examination cities: Ajmer, Alwar, Bahadurgarh-Rohtak, Bikaner, Faridabad, Greater NOIDA, Gurugram, Hisar, Indore, Jaipur, Jammu, Jodhpur, Karnal, Kota, Mathura, New Delhi, Palwal, Samba, Sikar, Udaipur, Ujjain.
Zone: IIT Guwahati
Examination cities: Agartala, Asansol-Durgapur, Burdwan, Dhanbad, Dibrugarh, Gangtok, Guwahati, Imphal, Itanagar, Jorhat, Kalyani, Muzaffarpur, Patna, Shillong, Silchar, Siliguri, Tezpur.
Zone: IIT Kanpur
Examination cities: Agra, Aligarh, Allahabad, Bareilly, Bhopal, Gorakhpur, Gwalior, Jabalpur, Kanpur, Lucknow, Varanasi.
Zone: IIT Kharagpur
Examination cities: Balasore, Berhampur (Odisha), Bhilai, Bhimavaram, Bhubaneswar, Bilaspur (CG), Cuttack, Eluru, Hooghly, Jamshedpur, Kakinada (Surampalem), Kharagpur, Kolkata, Raipur, Rajamahendravaram (Rajahmundry), Ranchi, Rourkela, Sambalpur, Tadepalligudem, Vijayawada, Visakhapatnam, Vizianagaram.
Zone: IIT Madras
Examination cities: Alappuzha, Aluva, Attingal, Bapatla, Chengannur, Chennai, Chittoor, Coimbatore, Cuddalore, Dindigul, Ernakulam, Erode-Thiruchengode, Gudur, Guntur, Idukki, Kadapa, Kanjirapally, Kanyakumari-Nagercoil, Karimnagar, Karur, Khammam, Kollam, Kothamangalam, Kottayam, Madurai, Muvattupuzha, Nalgonda, Namakkal, Nedumangad, Nellore, Ongole, Pala, Puducherry (Pondicherry), Punalur, Salem, Thanjavur, Thiruvananthapuram, Thiruvannamalai, Tiruchirapalli, Tirunelveli, Tirupati, Tuticorin, Vellore, Villupuram, Virudhunagar, Warangal.
Zone: IIT Roorkee
Examination cities: Ambala, Amritsar, Baddi (HP), Bathinda, Bhimtal, Dehradun, Ghaziabad, Haldwani, Hamirpur (HP), Jalandhar, Khanna, Kurukshetra, Ludhiana, Meerut, Mohali, Moradabad, Muzaffarnagar, NOIDA, Panipat, Pathankot, Patiala, Roorkee, Sangrur, Shimla-Solan, Sonepat, Una, Yamunanagar.
Zone: International GATE, IIT Guwahati
Examination cities: Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), Colombo (Sri Lanka), Dhaka (Bangladesh), Dubai (UAE), Kathmandu (Nepal), Singapore.
How To Prepare For GATE?
Once you have decided to appear for the GATE exam, preparation needs to begin. An effective strategy to prepare for GATE is when you are clear on the three points.
- Which paper you wish to appear for, and whether you are eligible for the same.
- Know the syllabus for GATE.
- Have a clear plan of action for GATE preparation.
Determine the eligibility and go through the syllabus. A good plan for GATE exam preparation must have the following points.
- Study hours – Study at least 5 hours every day. Divide your time between studying theory, practising questions, and solving mock tests.
- Books – Refer to the important books for GATE preparation.
- Question papers – For self analysis, and understanding the level of difficulty as well as the examination pattern, go through last year papers. GATE Papers of past years of all subjects are available online.
- GATE online preparation – Refer to online preparation resources for GATE exam. Some very useful videos can be viewed for free at NPTEL.
- Check out the GATE exam preparation strategy for an in depth guide on how to prepare for the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering.
GATE 2018 Frequently Asked Questions
Some of the most common concerns that candidates have in GATE 2018 have been answered here. If you have any query regarding GATE exam 2018, please go through FAQs first, and then information brochure. In the event that question is still unsolved, feel free to ask in comments below.
Question: How to select GATE paper?
Answer: The candidate is expected to appear in a paper appropriate to the discipline of his/her qualifying degree. The candidate can also choose any other papers of GATE 2018, however, it is better to choose a paper in line with the eligibility criteria of the institutions/organizations in which he/she wishes to seek admission/job.
Question: Do OBC candidates have to upload caste certificate?
Answer: No, only they have to upload caste certificate who are availing fee concession. In GATE 2018, there is fee concession only for SC / ST / PwD and female candidates.
Question: My account has been deducted of fee amount more than once. How to get refund?
Answer: Any unaccounted or excess money that was received on behalf of GATE 2018 from this account, will automatically be returned (credited) to the same bank account. However, this may take a week or more, after the closure of the application process.
Question: Fee has been deducted from account for GATE 2018 registration, but GOAPS shows fee not received.
Answer: Please login back to GOAPS after some time and check the status of the payment. Even then, if GOAPS does not acknowledge any fee payment, the money will be credited back to your account. However, this may take a week or more, after the closure of the application process. In such a situation, you may initiate a fresh payment on GOAPS without waiting for the money to be credited back to your account. This will ensure that your application submission will be on time (within the deadline). Finally, you will be charged only once. Any excess/unaccounted debits will be returned to you.
Question: If GATE 2018 applicant has completed graduation in 2017, however, degree certificate / provisional is not received from institution, then which document should be uploaded as eligibility certificate?
Answer: In case, the degree certificate/provisional certificate has not been issued at the time of application, final year mark sheet (of any one semester) must be uploaded as eligibility document.
GATE 2018 Answer Key
IITG will release GATE 2018 answer key on the official website. There will be individual question papers and answer keys for every paper and session. Candidates will be allowed to submit discrepancies or challenges against official GATE 2018 answer key in a limited amount of time. Last year the answer key was issued by coaching centers a day after exam, and around two weeks later by IIT. Format of official answer keys is PDF file consisting of questions and answers.
GATE 2018 Result and Scorecard
- Declaration of GATE 2018 result will be online at GOAPS.
- Those who will have appeared in exam can keep GOAPS Enrollment ID, and password ready to check result of GATE exam 2018.
- GATE 2018 result date of declaration is March 17, 2018. However it has been observed that result usually comes one day prior to assigned date.
- Qualifying cut off score is fixed by IITs on basis of exam difficulty level, average candidate performance, and minimum expectations of course.
- Candidates can download scorecard and participate in IITs GATE counselling and CCMT counselling for admission.
- GATE 2018 scorecard will be valid for a period of 3 years.
PSU Recruitment Through GATE 2018
Public Sector Undertakings (PSU) offer employment on GATE score. Important organizations that do so include IOCL, NTPC, ONGC, Power Grid. Keep checking PSU websites for PSU Recruitment Through GATE 2018.
GATE Online Application Processing System is portal where aspirants apply, download admit card, check result. Here they can also check application status. Enrolment ID, registration ID and date of birth are login credentials for GOAPS. For GATE 2018, GOAPS is at IIT Guwahati website of GATE exam at gate.iitg.ac.in.
GATE Cut Off
The cut off for the past years has been mentioned here for your reference as to give you an idea about the expected GATE 2018 cut off. We know that the exact cut off cannot be confirmed but we are sure that it shall at least prepare you for what might be coming next.
|Year||# of candidates Registered||# of candidates Appeared||# of candidates Qualified||% appeared||% qualified|
A complete list of GATE 2018 papers and corresponding codes are given in the table below. Candidates must mention only one subject paper in the application form.
|3||Architecture and Planning||AR|
|7||Computer Science and Information Technology||CS|
|9||Electronics and Communication Engineering||EC|
|11||Ecology and Evolution||EY|
|12||Geology and Geophysics||GG|
|20||Production and Industrial Engineering||PI|
|21||Textile Engineering and Fibre Science||TF|