GATE 2022 Syllabus – Candidates can download GATE syllabus from this page. It is important to go through the syllabus properly before starting the preparation for any exam as it specifies the important topics and chapters from which questions are framed in the exam. The exam conducting body releases the syllabus for 29 subject papers of GATE at its official website, which is gate.iitkgp.ac.in. GATE is a computer-based test conducted for admission to Masters or Ph.D degree in Engineering / Technology / Architecture and in some branches of Science. Download the subject-wise PDF of GATE 2022 syllabus given below.
GATE 2022 Syllabus
GATE is conducted for 29 subject papers. Below given are the PDFs of all the subject papers with their codes.
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Aerospace Engineering (AE)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Agricultural Engineering (AG)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Architecture and Planning (AR)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Biomedical Engineering (BM)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Biotechnology (BT)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Chemical Engineering (CH)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Chemistry (CY)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Civil Engineering (CE)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Computer Science (CS)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Ecology and Evolution (EY)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Electrical Engineering (EE)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Electronics and Communication Engineering (EC)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Engineering Sciences (XE)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Environmental Science and Engineering (ES)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Geomatics Engineering (GE)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for General Aptitude (GA)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Geology and Geophysics (GG)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Humanities and Social Sciences (XH)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Instrumentation Engineering (IN)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Life Sciences (XL)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Mathematics (MA)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Mechanical Engineering (ME)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Mining Engineering (MN)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Metallurgical Engineering (MT)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering (NM)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Petroleum Engineering (PE)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Physics (PH)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Production and Industrial Engineering (PI)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Statistics (ST)
- GATE 2022 Syllabus for Textile Engineering and Fiber Science (TF)
How to Complete GATE 2022 Syllabus on time?
Each of the subject paper of GATE 2022 must be prepared with unique preparation strategy and approach. However, there is one common thing among the preparation of all the 29 papers. That is completing the syllabus of time. The candidates can follow some tips below to be able to complete the syllabus on time.
Tip 1: Know the GATE 2022 Syllabus
Before starting with the preparation, analyze the syllabus. Check the GATE syllabus carefully and note down then and there only what are the chapters that need to be taken up first and demand more preparation. Note down the topics where proper guidance or assistance is needed.
Tip 2: Be Organized and Disciplined
The first thing that GATE aspirants have to keep in mind is to be a little organized and disciplined. Decide well in advance which topics have to be covered in one month, two months, three months, and so on from the syllabus.
For this, make a schedule or time table and decide how much time has to be devoted daily for the preparation and then abide by it until the day before the examination. This is the first step that every GATE aspirant has to follow in order to prepare for GATE 2022.
Tip 3: Avoid a lot of books
For the preparation of GATE 2022, this is the most important technique to score well in the examination. The books are basically the most important friends, a GATE aspirant need while preparing. So, during the preparation, purchase the good reference material.
To clear the concepts, the books of graduation can also be referred to. But keep in mind, that referring many books creates confusion rather than helping. Thus, refer only 2-3 reference books and study from them.
Tip 4: Make notes or refer notes
For the better preparation of GATE 2022, make your own notes or refer the notes which have been provided by the respective coaching centers. To make your own notes, underline the important concepts, and try giving pointers for every topic/concept. This will help at the time of last-minute revision as well.
GATE 2022 Exam Pattern
Candidates can check the exam pattern given below for GATE 2022.
|Examination Mode||Computer Based Test (CBT)|
|Number of Subjects (Papers)||29|
|Sections||General Aptitude (GA) +|
Candidate’s Selected Subject
|Type of Questions||(A) Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)|
(B) Multiple Select Questions (MSQ) and / or Numerical Answer Type
|Questions for testing these abilities||Recall, Comprehension, Application, Analysis, and Synthesis|
|Total Number of Questions||10 (GA) + 55 (subject)=65 questions|
|Marking Scheme||All of the questions will be of 1 mark or 2 marks|
|Distribution of Marks in all Papers EXCEPT papers AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, XH and XL||General Aptitude: 15 Marks + Engineering Mathematics: 13 Marks + Subject Questions: 72 Marks = Total: 100 Marks|
|Distribution of Marks in papers AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, XH and XL||General Aptitude: 15 Marks + Subject Questions: 85 Marks = Total: 100 Marks|
|Negative Marking||For a wrong answer chosen in a MCQ, there will be negative marking.|
For 1-mark MCQ, 1/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer.
For 2-mark MCQ, 2/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer.
NO negative marking for MSQ & NAT.
Detailed Marking Scheme
|Paper Code||General Aptitude|
|Subject Marks||Total Marks||Total Time (Minutes)|
|AE, AG, BM, BT, CE, CH, CS, CY, EC, EE, ES, EY, IN, MA, ME, MN, MT, NM, PE, PH, PI, TF, ST||15||85||100||180|
|AR [Part A + Part B (B1: Architecture or B2: Planning)] B1 or B2 can be selected during Exam.||15||25 + 60||100||180|
|GE [Part A + Part B (Section I or Section II)|
Sections can be selected during the Exam.
|15||55 + 30||100||180|
|GG [Part A + Part B (Section 1: Geology or Section 2: Geophysics)]||15||25 + 60||100||180|
|XE (Section A + Any TWO Sections)|
Sections can be selected during Exam.
|15||15 + (2 x 35)||100||180|
|XH (Section B1 + Any ONE Section)||15||25 + 60||100||180|
|XL (Section P + Any TWO Sections)|
Sections can be selected during Exam.
|15||25 + (2 x 30)||100||180|
Candidates are allotted the GATE 2022 paper as per the choices provided in the application form. The schedule of the papers is allotted ia the GATE 2022 admit card.
Important Books for GATE 2022
Candidates can refer the books given below to prepare for GATE 2022.
|GATE Civil Engineering ( Comprehensive Theory Book + Test Series) for GATE 2021||Buy now|
|GATE Electrical Engineering ( Comprehensive Theory Book + Test Series) for GATE 2021||Buy now|
|GATE General Aptitude & Engineering Mathematics||Buy now|
|A Handbook of Engineering Mathematics||Buy now|
|GATE – Topic-wise Previous Solved Papers – 33 Years’ Solved Papers||Buy now|
About GATE 2022
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is a computer-based test conducted for the students who want to take admission in Master’s and Ph.D in the disciplines like Engineering / Technology / Architecture / some branches in Science in IITs and other institutes. It is a national level entrance exam. Every subject paper consists of multiple-choice questions and numerical answer type questions. There are total 65 questions in the exam. The exam scores of GATE is valid for PSU recruitments as well.
To get fastest exam alerts and government job alerts in India, join our Telegram channel.