Common Management Admission Test (CMAT) is a national level entrance examination which was earlier conducted by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) every year as per the directions of Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India, but recently a new committee known as NTA (National Testing Academy) has taken the responsibility to conduct the CMAT exams. The CMAT is a three hour computer based online test will conduct in a single session to evaluate the candidate’s ability across various segments like Quantitative Technique, Logical Reasoning, Language Comprehension and General Awareness. This test facilitates Institutions to select suitable graduate candidates for admission in all Management programs.
Now, CMAT 2019 will be conducted by NTA instead of AICTE. CMAT exam is conducted only once a year. CMAT comprises of four sections namely Quantitative Technique, Logical Reasoning, Language Comprehension and General Awareness.
|Exam date||28 Jan 2019|
CMAT Exam Pattern
As CMAT is one of the most prestigious and toughest exams, therefore, it is required to know the exam pattern of the same. CMAT is the online test that is to be conducted by NTA. The candidates are required to go through the paper carefully so as to familiarize with the same. The CMAT Exam Pattern is illustrated here.
Duration: 180 minutes (3 hours) will be given to solve the paper.
Sections: The paper is divided into four sections.
No. of Questions: There are 100 total questions in the exam.
Type: The exam is objective type with multiple options and only one possible answer.
Mode: CMAT is an online based exam.
- For each correct answer, FOUR (4) marks will be awarded.
- For each wrong response, ONE (1) mark will be subtracted.
- The exam will be of total 400 marks.
|Section||Maximum marks||No. of questions|
|Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation||100||25|
|Total||400 marks||100 questions|
NAT does not have a defined syllabus for CMAT exam. Following are the major topics to be covered in each section of CMAT
- Language Comprehension
It covers comprehensive English test which includes the test of grammar, tenses, vocabulary, jumbled paragraphs and reading comprehension.
- Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation
Data interpretation segment will require basic calculation skills, the topics from which most of the questions appear in quant are arithmetic (ratios, mixtures, work, averages, profit & loss, basic statistics etc), number properties, probability and counting principles with one or two odd questions in geometry and derivatives (i.e. maxima –minima).
- Logical Reasoning
This segment has topics related to linear, seating, sequencing & arranging with conditions to coding. Other questions are based on statement-conclusion, logical puzzle, numerical puzzle, Venn Diagram, true/false statements, visual reasoning etc.
- General awareness
This section can be divided into three parts and each part has to be given due weight age. Conventional GK, Current GK, Economics GK.
The cutoffs are available with the results of admission and seat allotment. Cut off CMAT refers to minimum scores at which colleges shortlist you. The cutoffs are separate for all the reservation categories and general category. Once the CMAT cutoff is out the candidates are able to form an idea of the college they would want to apply for. This idea can be more concrete by comparing the cutoffs for the previous year.
CMAT Preparation Strategy
Here are a few more preparatory tips for candidates to prepare better for the CMAT exam:
- Practice all the topics in the syllabus. Do not leave any topic for the last few days. This is the right time to practice and polish your knowledge. Do not burden yourself with any new topic, formula or shortcut right before the exam. Simply focus on assimilating whatever you have learned in the last few months.
- Start analyzing your performance by appearing in mock tests. A lot of mock tests are available online. Try giving as many mock tests as they can to build up speed and understanding of examination.
- Have a clearly defined strategy and sequence of attempts. Invest more time into the Mathematics and Reasoning section.
- To prepare well for the GK section be thorough with all the news and current affairs that have happened in the last 6 months.
- Expect the Reasoning section to be lengthy and Maths section to be challenging. Hence, do not get stuck at one question and keep moving forward. Don’t lose confidence if you cannot answer a question.
- Spend at least a few hours of your day on a daily basis towards reading newspaper headlines, editorials, magazines etc. Try to be as diverse as possible in choice of topics ranging from politics, economics, technology, and sports. This will relax your mind, help in comprehension and add to your GK repository.
- Please ensure that you sleep well for a minimum of seven-eight hours during the night.Maintain a healthy diet and do not take a mock on the day before your CMAT exam.