JoSAA 2018 – The Joint Seat Allocation Authority has started the counselling for JEE Main 2018 and JEE Advanced 2018. It begins as results of Joint Entrance Examination Main conducted by CBSE as well as Joint Entrance Examination Advanced conducted by IITs are announced. JoSAA Counselling 2018 has begun with the registration and choice filling procedure. Candidates with a valid score of JEE Main 2018 / JEE Advanced 2018 can participate in JoSAA 2018 in order to get a seat in NITs, IIITs, CFTIs, IITs and other participating institutes. Check complete details of JoSAA 2018 such as date, process, seat matrix from this page.
Candidates need to register first. Then they exercise choices of seat by selecting colleges and branches in order of preference. After that JoSAA allots seats on basis of JEE Main 2018 All India Rank / JEE Advanced 2018 Rank. Candidates who get a seat must complete formalities for admission on time.
The events of JoSAA 2018 begin after the announcement of the JEE Main and JEE Advanced Result. The candidates may check the schedule of JoSAA Counselling from below:
|JEE (Main) 2018 result declaration||30 Apr 2018|
|JEE Advanced 2018 result declaration||10 Jun 2018|
|Online registration and choice filling||15 Jun 2018|
|Choice filling for AAT||18 Jun 2018|
|Display of mock seat allocation result||19 Jun 2018|
|Last date to register and submit the choices||25 Jun 2018|
|1st to 7th rounds of JoSAA 2018 counselling||27 Jun 2018 Onwards|
The revised schedule of JoSAA 2018 is being released on account of the following reasons:
- the third round of seat allotment and related activities being kept in abeyance due to proceedings in the Hon’ble High Court of Madras,
- requests from numerous parents and candidates across IITs who have already finalized their travel bookings as per the displayed start of sessions in different IITs,
- academic sessions of IITs are to start on time as scheduled earlier,
- ensuring that all candidates are able to get a fair chance of full participation in, and completion of, the initially declared seven rounds of seat allotment, with the sixth round being the final round in which withdrawal is permissible,
- ensuring that the total number of hours of activities involving “Document Verification and Acceptance/Withdrawal of Seat by reporting at Reporting Centres” remain the same as originally scheduled for all candidates,
Please note that all Reporting Centres will now start operating at 0800 hrs on some of the days of activities to ensure that the number of working hours per round are still guaranteed to be made available at the Reporting Centres for all candidates as per the original schedule (e.g. 2 days in round X as per earlier schedule was equal to 16 working hours, thus in the revised schedule also round X will have 16 working hours of Reporting Centres for all candidates).
The institutes which will be participating in the JoSAA 2018 counselling are as below:
|Participating Institute||Number||Seat Intake|
|Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)||23||10988|
|National Institute of Technology (NITs)||31||17868|
|Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIITs)||23||3433|
|Government Funded Technical Institute (GFTI)||20||3979|
Notice: The candidates may check the detailed seat matrix of JoSAA 2018- From Here
JoSAA 2018 Eligibility Criteria
No matter how high the rank of the candidate is in the entrance examination, they need to fulfill the eligibility criteria of JoSAA. The expected eligibility requirement is as below:
- Candidates must have qualified JEE Main 2018 for admission in NITs, IIITs, and GFTIs.
- For admission in IITs, the candidates need to secure an acceptable rank in JEE Advanced 2018.
- Both JEE Main 2018 and JEE Advanced 2018 qualifiers must have secured 75% in class 12th or must have secured a place among top 20 percentiles. The same criterion for SC, ST, PwD Candidates is 65%.
- Click here to check restriction for admission in courses.
JoSAA 2018 Seat Quota
The seat quota under Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA) counselling are likely to be as follows:
For IITs and IIITs
- All India – It is open to all the candidates.
- State Quota (Home State) – Only for the candidates who have the same State Code of Eligibility as that of the respective Institute.
- Other State Quota – Includes candidates whose State Code of Eligibility does not match with that of the Institute.
Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi and IIEST, Shibpur – Home State and Other State Quota.
- Assam University – All Indian and Home State
- Other GFTIs – Only All India
JoSAA 2018 Counselling – Choice filling, Mock Seat Allotment, Allotment Result
The counselling of JoSAA 2018 will be held in 6 or 7 rounds. The detailed counselling process is expected to be as below:
Registration and Choice Filling
The facility to register and submit the choices will begin on the same date. Though there will be 6 or 7 rounds of JoSAA 2018 counselling but the facility to register online and submit the choices will only be provided once. Hence, candidates must be very careful while submitting the choices.
- There is no registration fee.
It should be ensured that the choices are being submitted in the order of priority because the seat allotment result will be announced as per the preferences. If the candidates will not lock the choices before the lapse of the deadline then the choices will be filled automatically.
Note: The registration for JEE Main and JEE Advanced candidates will begin together but for AAT entrants it will begin after 4 days.
Mock Seat Allotment for JoSAA 2018
Before the announcement of the seat allotment result, the mock allotment will be released. It will be declared twice before the lapse of the registration and choice filling deadline. The purpose of publishing the mock allotment is to assist candidates is deciding the preferences in a better manner.
The first JoSAA 2018 Mock Seat Allotment result will be announced in June. It will be declared on the basis of data submitted until that day. The candidates can check the result and decided if they wish to change or add the preference or not. Then a few days later again the authority will release a mock allotment. With the help of the mock allotments the candidates will be able to decided choices better.
JoSAA 2018 Seat Allotment Result
After the deadline to register and submit the choices will end, the seat allotment result will be announced. Basically, the allotment is done on the basis of following factors:
- JEE Main/JEE Advanced 2018 All India Rank.
- Entered choices for the course and college.
- A number of vacant seats in the institutes.
The candidates will be able to check the allotment result from josaa.nic.in. The candidates will then have the option to Freeze, Float, Slide or Withdraw.
- Freeze – If candidates opt to freeze the seat then it indicated that they are satisfied with the allotment and would like to take admission is allocated institute and college.
- Float – This option means that the candidate would like to continue with the allotted seat but would also participate in the next round of counselling to know if they getting a better seat in any other college or not. In this case, if the candidate does not get a better seat then they may continue with their allotment.
- Slide – This is just like float option but the only difference is that in this case, the candidate intends to explore better choices in the same institute.
- Withdraw – If the candidates choose the withdraw option then it means that they are not satisfied with the allotment and would like to leave the counselling process. It should be noted that the withdrawal option will not be available at the last round of JoSAA 2018 counselling.
Reporting at the Institute
After the seat allotment, the candidates will be required to accept the seat by reporting at the allocated institute. For this purpose, the candidates will reach the reporting centre in person, pay the required fee and get all the required document verified. Check below the list of Reporting-cum-Help Centre.
Dual Reporting in JoSAA Counselling
Dual reporting as the name suggests is that the candidates will have to report twice at the Reporting Centre. However, it will only be applicable when the allotment will be upgraded in any round of counselling. If the candidates were first allocated a seat at the NITs and then it got upgraded to IITs or any other institute then the candidates will have to report for IITs as well.
- At the dual reporting, the candidates will not have to pay the seat acceptance fee.
JoSAA Opening and Closing Rank
The opening and closing rank of JoSAA will be announced after the seat allotment result. Candidates can check the previous year JoSAA opening and closing rank to attain idea about how the rank this year will be. Click Here to check previous year opening and closing rank.
FAQs on JoSAA 2018
Below we have discussed the some of the common queries, which candidates face each year.
Q. I need to add some choices. Can I do so at the reporting center?
A. No, once the online facility to enter the choices ends, the candidates will not be allowed to change or add the choices.
Q. Do I need to pay the seat acceptance fee amount, even I want to opt for Float or Slide option in JoSAA 2018?
A. Yes, reporting and seat acceptance fee is to be paid by all the candidates. Else, they will not be considered for further rounds of seat allotment.
Q. I have qualified JEE Main 2018/JE Advanced 2018. However, my score in class 12th is less than 75% and I do not stand among the top 20 percentiles. Am I eligible for the admission?
A. No, you are not.
Q. I have been allocated IIT Delhi but I live in Bhopal. Can I report at any center in Bhopal?
A. No, students who will be allocated seat in any of the IIT are required to report at any of the reporting centers of IIT only.
Note: Same is the case for NITs as well. The candidates are only required to report at any of the 38 reporting centers of NITs only.
Q. Will there be a JoSAA 2018 Spot Counselling Round?
A. No, JoSAA does not conduct spot round. However, CSAB might conduct a counselling round to fill the vacant seats, after the rounds of JoSAA seat allotment.
Q. Can I appear in more than one Rank List?
A. Yes, a candidate may appear in more than one rank list for both, JEE Main and JEE Advanced qualifiers. It will depend on the performance of the candidates, their category, and date of birth.
Q. Can POI/OCI participate in JoSAA 2018?
A. Most probably yes. Last year they were granted admission in NITs/IIITs/GFTIs on the basis of JEE Main and in IITs on the basis of JEE Advanced 2018. The category of these candidates was Gen, Gen-PwD and will only be considered for Open or Open-PwD seats.
Q. What is ‘Academic Program’ is seat allotment?
A. It is a combination of the course and the institute. Like the 4 year B.Tech in Biotechnology by NIT Calicut.
Q. I have studied from NIOS. What will the State Code of Eligibility?
A. In this case, the State Code of Eligibility will be considered for that state from which the candidate appeared and passed the examination.
Q. I have remitted the seat acceptance fee but I do not want to take admission now. How do I refund it?
A. Candidates will be able to claim the refund from the official login.
JoSAA Seats Matrix
The seat matrix of JoSAA 2018 will be announced soon. However, until then the candidates may check the previous year seat matrix from below:
For any question or query, comment below.
Candidates may please note that insofar, details of JoSAA 2018 have not been announced officially. Only Schedule of JoSAA is available here. As soon as JoSAA 2018 information brochure is available, details will be updated here.