TIFR GS 2020 – Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) JEST2020 based admission to the PhD and Integrated Ph.D programme in Physics has been started. The application form is available now. Candidates whose rank in JEST-2020 is within 100, can submit the online application form. The written test and interview are scheduled to take place on June 16, 2020 and June 17, 2020 respectively. Check more information on TIFR GS 2020 from this page.
Latest: JEST2020 based applications in Physics are available. Apply online here.
TIFR GS 2020
Those students who appeared for TIFR written test for GS2020 and/or took part in written test-II and interview are also eligible to apply for JEST based admissions. Candidates can check the complete schedule for TIFR GS 2020 from the table below.
|Availability of application||Available!|
|Last date to apply||03 May 2020|
|Written test-II for JEST2020 based|
admissions in Physics
|16 Jun 2020|
|Interview for for JEST2020 based|
admissions in Physics
|17 Jun 2020|
TIFR GS 2020 Application Form
The TIFR GS Application Form 2020 is released by online mode only. No offline form is released for the candidates to apply for TIFR GS 2020. Aspirants must submit a single application only. In case if a candidate wants to take the online test in multiple subjects then in such a case, they must submit separate application for each subject. In order to apply online, candidates need to register first, then proceed to fill in details in the TIFR GS 2020 Application Form and finally pay the application fee.
Application Fee: To submit the TIFR GS 2020 Application Form, candidates need to pay the following amount of the application fee:
Mode of Payment: Candidates can pay the application fee by online mode only through Internet banking/Debit/Credit Card/UPI.
Who are Eligible for Application Fee Waiver?
A waiver of the application fee for TIFR GS 2020 is provided to the candidates on grounds of financial distress by submitting a letter from the Principal or the Head of the Department justifying the request. Students applying for application fee waiver have to click on the fee waiver option in the payment section of the application form
TIFR GS 2020 Eligibility Criteria
In order to apply for the entrance exam, it is important that the aspirants must be well familiar with the eligibility criteria. Candidates can check the eligibility criteria for each subject below:
- For Ph.D: Candidates must hold a Master’s degree like M.A./M.Sc./M.Tech.
- For I-Ph.D: Candidates with a B.A./B.Sc./B.E./B.Tech degree are eligible to apply for Mathematics. Those who have /completing an M.Sc. degree are not eligible to apply for Mathematics subject.
- For Ph.D: Candidates who posses a M.Sc./M.S. degree in Physics, or equivalent, and should have completed the same in the duration not less than 5 years in total.
- For I-Ph.D: Candidates should have passed M.E./M.Tech./B.Sc./B.S./B.E./ B.Tech./B.Chem. in Physics, Engineering Physics, or equivalent degree of duration not less than 3 years in total can apply for TIFR GS for Physics.
- Candidates who have any other degree in Science / Engineering / Medicine, or equivalent, on completion of the programme(s) of duration not less than 3 years in total can also apply for I-PhD.
- For Ph.D.: Candidates have posses either of the following: M.Sc./B.E./B.Tech./M.Pharm.
- For I-Ph.D.: Aspirants should have passed B.Sc./B.Pharm
- Candidates with B.E./B.Tech degrees can optionally get an M.Sc. degree by fulfilling the necessary requirements.
- For Ph.D.: Masters in Basic Science or Bachelors in Applied Science. These include M.Sc.(Ag.), B.Tech., B.E., B.V.Sc., B.Pharma. (4 years course), MBBS, BDS, M.Pharma. Candidates will be short-listed for interview based on written test marks, CV and Scientific Writeup.
- For I-Ph.D./M.Sc.: Bachelors in any Basic Science.
- For Ph.D. Program in TCIS: M.Sc. in Physics, Chemistry or Biology.
Computer & System Sciences (including Communications and Applied Probability)
- For Ph.D.: B.E./B.Tech./M.E./M.Tech./M.C.A./M.Sc. degree holders in Computer Science / Information Technology / Electronics & Communications Engineering / Electrical Engineering. Exceptionally well-qualified students with B.E./B.Tech./M.E./ M.Tech./M.Sc./B.Sc. or equivalent degrees in other disciplines may also be considered. Exceptionally well-qualified students with B. Sc. degree in computer science and related subjects may be considered for I-PhD.
Note: Candidates not holding a Master’s degree and admitted to a Ph.D./Int. Ph.D. program can receive an M.Sc. degree in some subjects by fulfilling prescribed requirements
TIFR GS 2020 Admit Card
The TIFR GS 2020 Admit Card is issued to the registered candidates only. Candidates are intimated by email for downloading TIFR GS Admit Card/ Hall Ticket 2020. To download the admit card, candidates have to log in by entering their user id and password. It is a mandatory document to carry on the day of the test. The TIFR GS Admit card consist of personal details of the candidate as well as exam details like date of the test, reporting timings, address of the test.
TIFR GS Admission Procedure 2020
The admission procedure for TIFR GS Admission 2020 consists of two layers – Entrance test and Interview. The candidates who qualify in the entrance exam are called for the interview. The TIFR Nationwide Entrance Examination (GS 2020) is called Joint Graduate Entrance Examination for Biology and Interdisciplinary Life Sciences (JGEEBILS). The participating institutes use the score for shortlisting candidates for admission.
Admission Process for Systems Science – Candidates with exceptional performance in GATE 2020 examination in Electrical, Electronics and Communications Engineering, Mathematics may apply for the Ph.D. program without appearing for the TIFR Entrance Test. Such candidates need to fill the GATE score based applications which are released online at the official website of TIFR GS.
Click Here to apply online on the basis of GATE Score
National Level Score for Admission – In addition to the admissions through the TIFR GS 2020, admission in Physics, Biology and Chemistry is also done on the basis of the candidate’s score in GATE / NEST / JEST scores in the relevant subjects, and Ecology and Evolution GATE scores (NCBS only), are also possible.
TIFR GS 2020 Result
Based on the candidate’s performance in TIFR GS 2020, the result has been declared. It can be checked online at NCBS – TIFR official website. TIFR GS / JGEEBILS result consists of application number and name of those candidates who have been shortlisted to appear for Interview. Selected candidates need to submit the application form which is further used by the Centres / Institutions to shortlist candidates for on-campus interviews. Candidates who are shortlisted for the Interview will further get a call letter which consists of details of the Interview round.
TIFR GS 2020 Fellowship
The Institute offers fellowship in Ph.D, I-Ph.D and MSc programmes. Candidates can check the fellowship details for the same below:
- Ph.D – Students will receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 31,000/- enhanced to Rs 35,000/- after registration.
- I-Ph.D. Students are going to receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 21,000/- for the first year. At the end of the first year, upon satisfactory performance, the fellowship is enhanced to Rs 31,000/- per month (further raised to Rs 35,000/- after registration for Ph.D.)
- MSc (Biology) – Candidates will receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 16,000/- (+HRA as applicable).
- MSc (Wildlife Biology & Conservation) – Students will receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 12,000/- (fixed).
TIFR GS 2020 Exam Center
At the time of filling in details in the Application Form, candidates need to select the test cities for appearing for TIFR GS 2020. Candidates can check the complete list of test cities from the table below:
TIFR GS 2020 Exam Pattern
It is important that the candidates who are preparing for the test must know the exam pattern. It consist of information like duration of the test, type of questions, distribution of questions in each subject. Candidates can check the TIFR GS Exam Pattern for all subjects from below:
TIFR GS Exam Pattern for Mathematics
The candidates who will be appearing for the admission to the various programs in Mathematics in TIFR, namely the Ph.D. and Integrated Ph.D. programs at TIFR, Mumbai and TIFR CAM, Bengaluru and Ph.D. at ICTS, Bengaluru, there has been a change in the exam pattern. The exam pattern is as follows:
- Duration of the exam: The test is now of 03 hours duration
- Type of Questions: There are 02 type of questions in the test which are Objective type MCQ and true/false questions.
- Number of Questions: There are 20 true/false and 20 multiple-choice questions.
- Standard of the test: It is mainly based on mathematics covered in a reasonable B.Sc. course in Mathematics.
TIFR GS Exam Pattern for Physics
- Type of Questions: Objective type MCQ
- Standard of the Questions: The questions are based on the topics studied in the Undergraduate and Masters levels at an Indian University.
- Marking Scheme: For every correct answer in Multiple-choice questions, 3 marks are given, whereas for the Numerical and Symbolic section, 5 marks are given for the correct answer.
- Negative Marking: There is a negative marking of 1 mark in MCQ section only.
TIFR GS Exam Pattern for Chemistry
- Type of Questions: Objective type MCQ
- Number of Questions: 40
- Duration of the exam: 3 hours
- Marking Scheme: For each correct answer, 3 marks will be given.
- Negative Marking: For every incorrect answer, 1 marks will be deducted.
TIFR GS Exam Pattern for Biology
- Type of Questions: Objective type MCQ
- Standard of the test: The test will cover the basics only in mathematics, physics, chemistry, and biology.
TIFR GS Exam Pattern for Computer & Systems Sciences
The question paper is divided into three parts. Part A will be common to both the streams, i.e, Computer Science and Systems Science. Part B is oriented for the Computer Sciences, whereas, Part C isoriented for the System Sciences.
- Duration of the Exam: 3 hours
- Type of Questions: MCQ
- Negative Marking: There is a negative marking of 1 mark for every incorrect answer.
TIFT GS 2020 Syllabus
After the exam pattern, the next step in the preparation is to check the syllabus. TIFR has released the syllabus for TIFS GS 2020 entrance exam for each subject at its official website. Candidates can check the same here.
TIFR GS 2020 Syllabus for Mathematics
- Algebra: Definitions and examples of groups (finite and infinite, commutative and non-commutative), cyclic groups, subgroups, homomorphisms, quotients. Definitions and examples of rings and fields. Basic facts about vector spaces, matrices, determinants, ranks of linear transformations, characteristic and minimal polynomials, symmetric matrices. Integers and their basic properties. Inner products, positive definiteness
- Analysis: Basic facts about real and complex numbers, convergence of sequences and series of real and complex numbers, continuity, differentiability and Riemann integration of real valued functions defined on an interval (finite or infinite), elementary functions (polynomial functions, rational functions, exponential and log, trigonometric functions), sequences and series of functions and their different types of convergence, ordinary differential equations.
- Geometry/Topology: Elementary geometric properties of common shapes and figures in 2 and 3 dimensional Euclidean spaces (e.g. triangles, circles, discs, spheres, etc.). Plane analytic geometry (= coordinate geometry) and trigonometry. Definition and basic properties of metric spaces, examples of subset Euclidean spaces (of any dimension), connectedness, compactness. Convergence in metric spaces, continuity of functions between metric spaces.
- General: Pigeon-hole principle (box principle), induction, elementary properties of divisibility, elementary
combinatorics (permutations and combinations, binomial coefficients), elementary probability theory, elementary reasoning with graphs.
TIFR GS 2020 Syllabus for Physics
The questions in the written test (multiple-choice type) and Interview are distributed over the following areas:
- Classical Mechanics
- Mathematics relevant to Physics
- Electricity and Magnetism
- Quantum Mechanics
- Heat, Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics
- General Physics
- Modern Physics
- Electronics and Experimental Physics.
TIFR GS 2020 Syllabus for Chemistry
The syllabus for the Written test in Chemistry is similar to the typical standard syllabus followed in any Indian university for the BSc and MSc degree course. The questions are asked in the areas of physical, organic, inorganic, analytical, electro and quantum chemistry, biophysics, thermodynamics, spectroscopy (NMR, fluorescence, IR, UV and X-ray), logic and statistics and mathematical methods.
TIFR GS 2020 Syllabus for Computer & Systems Sciences
The topics under Computer Science are as follows:
- Discrete Mathematics: Sets and Relations, Combinatorics (Counting) and Elementary Probability Theory, Graph Theory, Propositional and Predicate Logic.
- Formal Languages, Automata Theory and Computability
- Data Structures and Algorithms: Arrays, Lists and Trees, Sorting and Searching, Graph algorithms, Complexity of problems and NP-completeness.
- Fundamentals of Programming Languages and Compilers: Control structures, Parameter passing mechanisms, Recursion, Parsing and type checking, Memory management.
- Operating Systems and Concurrency
- Switching Theory and Digital Circuits
- Theory of Databases
The topics under System Science are as follows:
- Engineering Mathematics: Complex Analysis, Linear Algebra, Elementary Numerical Analysis, Basic Optimization Theory and Algorithms, Introduction to Probability Theory and Statistics.
- Electrical and Computer Sciences: Introduction to Signals and Linear Systems Analysis, Control Systems, Digital Signal Processing, Basic Circuit Theory, Introduction to Digital Communications, Digital Computer Fundamentals, Introduction to Computer Programming.
Courses Offered Through TIFR GS 2020
The candidates are offered admission in the following programmes as subjects at the Mumbai campus and various National Centres of TIFR.
|Name of the Subject||Name of the programme||Offered at|
|Mathematics||Ph.D. and Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. Programmes||1) School of Mathematics, TIFR Mumbai|
2) Centre for Applicable Mathematics (CAM), Bengaluru
3) International Centre for Theoretical Sciences (ICTS), Bengaluru (Only Ph.D. program).
|Physics||Ph.D. and Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. Programmes||1) Department of Astronomy & Astrophysics|
2) Department of Condensed Matter Physics & Materials Science
3) Department of High Energy Physics
4) Department of Nuclear & Atomic Physics
5) Department of Theoretical Physics
6) National Centre for Radio Astrophysics (NCRA), Pune
7) TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences, Hyderabad (TIFR-H
8) International Centre for Theoretical Sciences
|Chemistry||Ph.D. and Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. Programs||1) Department of Chemical Sciences, TIFR, Mumbai|
2) TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences, Hyderabad (TIFR-H)
|Biology||Ph.D., Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. and M.Sc. Programmes||1) Department of Biological Sciences, TIFR, Mumbai |
2) National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS), Bengaluru – Ph.D., Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D., and M.Sc. (Wildlife Biology & Conservation) programmes.
3) TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences (TCIS), Hyderabad – Ph.D. and Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. programs only.
|Computer & Systems Sciences (including Communications and Applied Probability)||Ph.D. Programme only||School of Technology & Computer Science (STCS) – TIFR, Mumbai|
|Science Education||Ph.D. Programme||Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education (HBCSE), Mumbai|
TIFR GS 2020 Poster
The Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) was founded by the distinguished Indian Scientist Dr. Homi Bhabha in June 1945. The Institute is located at Colaba on the shores of the Arabian Sea. The faculty at TIFR is subdivided into three Schools: School of Mathematics, School of Natural Sciences and School of Technology & Computer Science and there three National Centres: National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS), Bangalore, the National Centre for Radio Astrophysics (NCRA), Pune and the Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education (HBCSE), Mankhurd, Mumbai. Scientists at TIFR are world leaders in several fields and their published contributions to scientific knowledge are internationally recognised.
TIFR GS 2020 Exam Frequently Asked Questions
Ans : TIFR GS (TATA Institute of Fundamental Research Graduate Studies) is an online entrance exam conducted every year in December. Candidates who wish to pursue Integrated PhD or M.Sc from TIFR have to qualify in this exam. After getting qualified in this exam, candidates have to appear for Personal interview at TIFR.
Ans : Your record, your one-page write-up as well as your letters of recommendation will be considered. In our experience, "good marks" do not necessarily make for a good research student; all students who are motivated to learn research skills are encouraged to apply. BSc-qualified candidates in any branch of biology, physics, or chemistry are welcome. The PhD/ Int. Ph.D. written test will also function as the written test for our M.Sc. program. The procedure for appearing for this test will be available on our website and on the NCBS website in September each year. The test will be held at centres all over India, held on a specific Sunday in December for admission the following July. The test consists of multiple-choice questions covering *basics only* in physics, chemistry, math, biology. There is no guide book and no syllabus. No special knowledge or preparation is required. Revise your basic that is all. The Interview will be based on whatever your BSc background is in, or whatever area you are most interested or most comfortable in.
Ans : Unfortunately, we do not currently offer housing to M.Sc. students, so students have to make their own arrangements. However, TIFR does provide a generous stipend, for the latest information visit the University website.
Ans : "Biotechnology" is now used as a general term for "modern biology". All Biotechnology courses in India offers a broad spectrum of interesting and modern courses in a range of topics... so the term "biotechnology" means everything and nothing at the same time! Our M.Sc. degree is in "Biology". Our courses are listed on this website, and the research we do is also presented. Students should apply if they want to learn and do research in the areas we describe on our website.
Ans : Candidates must hold a Master’s degree like M.A./M.Sc./M.Tech. for PhD
Official Website: www.univ.tifr.res.in
To get fastest exam alerts and government job alerts in India, join our Telegram channel.