TIFR GS 2022 – The official notification for TIFR GS 2022 has been released at the official website, univ.tifr.res.in. Interested and eligible candidates can submit the Tata Institute for Fundamental Research application form via online mode before the last date. The last date to submit the TIFR GS 2022 application form is extended up to November 10, 2021. TIFS GS 2022 exam is scheduled to be held on December 12, 2021. TIFR GS is supervised by the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research for Graduate School Admissions 2022. The Tata Institute of Fundamental Research is India’s premier institution for advanced research in fundamental sciences. The Institute runs a graduate program leading to the award of Ph.D., Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. as well as M.Sc. degree in certain subjects. Check more details about TIFR GS 2022 from the article below.
Latest – TIFR GS 2022 application form last date is extended up to November 10, 2021. Click here to apply online.
TIFR GS 2022
The Graduate Programme at TIFR is classified into the following Subjects, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Computer & Systems Sciences (including Communications and Applied Probability), and Science Education. TIFR GS 2022 will be conducted at the Mumbai campus and various National Centres of TIFR. TIFR GS 2022, is also known as Joint Graduate Entrance Examination for Biology and Interdisciplinary Life Sciences (JGEEBILS). Candidates can check more details of TIFR GS such as how to apply, exam centers, scholarship, fee, and previous years’ question papers are given here.
|Online Application Starts||08 Oct 2021|
|Online Application Close||10 Nov 2021|
|Downloading Hall Ticket||22 Nov 2021|
|Exam Date||12 Dec 2021|
|GATE Scored based applications to Systems Science |
(including Communications and Machine Learning):
|Open: 31 Jan 2022|
Close: To be announced
|Results of the Nationwide Entrance Examination |
(shortlist for interviews)
|End of January 2022|
TIFR GS 2022 Eligibility Criteria
Candidates in the final year of their qualifying degree can also apply.
- For Ph.D. : M.A./M.Sc./M.Math./M.Stat./M.E./M.Tech.
- For I-Ph.D. : B.A./B.Sc./B.Math./B.Stat./B.E./B.Tech. (Students already having/completing a Master’s degree by July 2022 are not eligible for I-Ph.D.).
- For Ph.D.: M.Sc./M.S. in Physics, or equivalent degree, on completion of programmes(s) of duration not less than 5 years in total.
- For I-Ph.D.: M.E./M.Tech./B.Sc./B.S./B.E./B.Tech./ B.Chem. in Physics, Engineering Physics, or equivalent degree, on completion of programme(s) of duration not less than 3 years in total. Any other degree in Science / Engineering / Medicine, or equivalent, on completion of programme(s) of duration not less than 3 years in total.
- For Ph.D.: M.Sc./B.E./B.Tech./M.Pharm. or equivalent degree.
- For I-Ph.D.: B.Sc./B.Pharm./B.S. degree or equivalent degree. Candidates with B.E./B.Tech. degrees, enrolled in the Ph.D. programme can optionally get an M.Sc. degree by fulfilling additional requirements.
Candidates will be shortlisted for interview based on written test marks, CV, letters of recommendation and Scientific write-up.
- For Ph.D.: Masters in Basic Science (M.Sc. Physics/ Chemistry/ Mathematics/ any branch of Biology) or any professional Master’s Degree (M.Pharma./M.Tech.), or a > 4 year degree program (e.g. MBBS, BDS). Students holding an M.Sc. degree in a non-Biology-allied discipline such as Chemistry / Physics / Mathematics / Computer Science, and who wish to obtain an M.Sc. in Biology, will be offered the option of enrolling in the I-Ph.D. programme at the time of joining.
- For I-Ph.D./M.Sc.: Bachelors in any Basic Science (Physics/ Chemistry/Mathematics/any branch of Biology) OR any 4-year degree programme that awards a “Bachelor’s degree” including B.Tech., B.E., B.V.Sc., B.Pharma. (4 year course).
- For M.Sc. (Wildlife Biology & Conservation): Indian nationals who have a Bachelor’s degree in any discipline (with a minimum of 50% in core subjects) and a strong interest in wildlife research and conservation. Graduate nationals from Central, South and Southeast Asian countries, with similar qualifications are also eligible to apply.
Computer & Systems Sciences (including Communications and Machine Learning):
- For Ph.D. : B.Tech./B.E./B.Sc.(4-year degree)/M.Tech./M.E./M.C.A./M.Sc. or equivalent degree in Computer Science / Electronics & Communications Engineering / Electrical Engineering or related branches. Exceptionally well qualified students with a B.Tech./ B.E./B.Sc. (4-year degree)/M.Tech./M.E./M.Sc. degree in other disciplines may also be considered. Candidates not holding a master’s degree can obtain an M.Sc. degree by fulfilling the prescribed requirements during their Ph.D. programme.
- For I-Ph.D. : B.Sc. (3-year degree) or any other 3-year degree in Computer Science / Electronics & Communications Engineering / Electrical Engineering or related branches. Exceptionally well-qualified students with a 3-year undergraduate degree (B.Sc.) in related subjects may be considered for the I-Ph.D. programme. Candidates in the I-Ph.D. programme will need to fulfill the requirements for both an M.Sc. and Ph.D.; upon successful completion, they will receive both degrees.
TIFR GS 2022 Application form
TIFR GS is supervised by the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research for Graduate School Admissions. The Tata Institute of Fundamental Research is India’s premier institution for advanced research in fundamental sciences. To apply online follow the instructions provided below –
Students can apply online. Please follow the appropriate link on this website for filling up the application form. Read the instructions carefully before you start filling up the online application form. DO NOT MAKE MULTIPLE REGISTRATIONS FOR THE SAME SUBJECT. Students may take the online test in multiple subjects provided the timings do not clash. Please submit separate applications/fees for each subject.
Application Fee can be paid only through online mode.
Application Fee (Non-Refundable):
|Male Candidates||Rs. 1200/-|
Application Fee Waiver
requested by a letter from the Principal or the Head of the Department justifying the request. The letter/recommendation from the Principal/HOD should be on the official letterhead duly signed and stamped. While registering, students may click the fee waiver option in the payment section of the application form and upload the scanned copy of the recommendation letter to their registration profile.
Important Notes – Please note that fee waiver requests would be considered depending on the availability of seats in each Centre and cannot be guaranteed
TIFR GS 2022 Exam Pattern
For Mathematics – The candidates who will be appearing for admission to the various programs in Mathematics in TIFR, namely the Ph.D. and Integrated Ph.D. programs at TIFR, Mumbai and TIFR CAM, Bengaluru, and Ph.D. at ICTS, Bengaluru, there has been a change in the exam pattern. The exam pattern is as follows:
- Duration of the exam: 2 hours
- Type of Questions: Objective type MCQ
- There will be 20 true/false and 20 multiple-choice questions.
- Type of Questions: Objective type MCQ
- Standard of the Questions: The questions will be based on the topics studied in the Undergraduate and Masters levels at an Indian University.
- Marking Scheme: For every correct answer in Multiple-choice questions, 3 marks will be given. Whereas for the Numerical and Symbolic section, 5 marks will be given for the correct answer.
- Negative Marking: There is a negative marking of 1 mark in MCQ section only.
- Syllabus: Classical Mechanics; Mathematics relevant to Physics; Electricity and Magnetism; Quantum
Mechanics; Heat, Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics; General Physics; Modern Physics; Electronics and Experimental Physics.
- Type of Questions: Objective type MCQ
- Number of Questions: 40
- Duration of the exam: 3 hours
- Marking Scheme: For each correct answer, 3 marks will be given.
- Negative Marking: For every incorrect answer, 1 marks will be deducted.
- Syllabus: The syllabus of the written exam is similar to the B.Sc. and M.Sc. degree course standard syllabus followed in an Indian University. The candidates can prepare from the topics such as:
- Physical Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Analytical, electro and quantum chemistry
- Spectroscopy (NMR, fluorescence, IR, UV and X-ray), logic and statistics and mathematical method.
- Type of Questions: Objective type MCQ
- Syllabus: The test will cover basics only in mathematics, physics, chemistry, and biology.
For Computer & Systems Sciences
The question paper will be divided into three parts. Part A will be common to both the streams, i.e, Computer Science and Systems Science. Part B will be oriented for the Computer Sciences, whereas, Part C will be oriented for the System Sciences.
- Duration of the Exam: 3 hours
- Type of Questions: MCQ
- Negative Marking: There will be a negative marking of 1 mark for every incorect answer.
TIFR GS 2022 Exam Timings
Morning Session: 09:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Computer & Systems Sciences
- Biology (Wildlife & Conservation)
- Biology: 02:30 p.m. to 04:30 p.m.
- Mathematics: 02:30 p.m. to 05:30 p.m.
TIFR GS 2022 Syllabus
The syllabus for TIFR GS entrance exam consist of important topics which a candidate should study to prepare for the test. Candidates can check the syllabus for each subject from below.
TIFR GS 2022 Syllabus for Mathematics
- Algebra: Definitions and examples of groups (finite and infinite, commutative and non-commutative), cyclic groups, subgroups, homomorphisms, quotients. Definitions and examples of rings and fields. Basic facts about vector spaces, matrices, determinants, ranks of linear transformations, characteristic and minimal polynomials, symmetric matrices. Integers and their basic properties. Inner products, positive definiteness
- Analysis: Basic facts about real and complex numbers, convergence of sequences and series of real and complex numbers, continuity, differentiability and Riemann integration of real valued functions defined on an interval (finite or infinite), elementary functions (polynomial functions, rational functions, exponential and log, trigonometric functions), sequences and series of functions and their different types of convergence, oridinary differential equations.
- Geometry/Topology: Elementary geometric properties of common shapes and figures in 2 and 3 dimensional Euclidean spaces (e.g. triangles, circles, discs, spheres, etc.). Plane analytic geometry (= coordinate geometry) and trigonometry. Definition and basic properties of metric spaces, examples of subset Euclidean spaces (of any dimension), connectedness, compactness. Convergence in metric spaces, continuity of functions between metric spaces..
- General: Pigeon-hole principle (box principle), induction, elementary properties of divisibility, elementary
combinatorics (permutations and combinations, binomial coefficients), elementary probability theory, elementary reasoning with graphs.
The questions in the written test (multiple-choice type) and Interview are distributed over the following areas:
- Classical Mechanics
- Mathematics relevant to Physics
- Electricity and Magnetism
- Quantum Mechanics
- Heat, Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics
- General Physics
- Modern Physics
- Electronics and Experimental Physics.
TIFR GS 2022 Syllabus for Chemistry
The syllabus for the Written test in Chemistry is similar to the typical standard syllabus followed in any Indian university for the BSc and MSc degree course. The questions are asked in the areas of physical, organic, inorganic, analytical, electro and quantum chemistry, biophysics, thermodynamics, spectroscopy (NMR, fluorescence, IR, UV and X-ray), logic and statistics and mathematical methods.
TIFR GS 2022 Syllabus for Computer & Systems Sciences
TIFR GS 2022 Syllabus for Physics
The topics under Computer Science are as follows:
- Discrete Mathematics: Sets and Relations, Combinatorics (Counting) and Elementary Probability Theory, Graph Theory, Propositional and Predicate Logic.
- Formal Languages, Automata Theory and Computability
- Data Structures and Algorithms: Arrays, Lists and Trees, Sorting and Searching, Graph algorithms, Complexity of problems and NP-completeness.
- Fundamentals of Programming Languages and Compilers: Control structures, Parameter passing mechanisms, Recursion, Parsing and type checking, Memory management.
- Operating Systems and Concurrency
- Switching Theory and Digital Circuits
- Theory of Databases
The topics under System Science are as follows:
- Engineering Mathematics: Complex Analysis, Linear Algebra, Elementary Numerical Analysis, Basic Optimization Theory and Algorithms, Introduction to Probability Theory and Statistics.
- Electrical and Computer Sciences: Introduction to Signals and Linear Systems Analysis, Control Systems, Digital Signal Processing, Basic Circuit Theory, Introduction to Digital Communications, Digital Computer Fundamentals, Introduction to Computer Programming.
TIFR GS 2022 Exam Centre
There will be examination centres in the following cities but the exact location / venue of the examination will be available on the downloaded hall ticket :
- Guntur, Andhra Pradesh
- Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh
- Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
- Guwahati, Assam
- Patna, Bihar
- Bhillai, Chattisgarh
- Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- Mandi, Himachal Pradesh
- Jammu, J&K
- Srinagar, J&K
- Jamshedpur, Jharkhand
- Bengaluru, Karnataka
- Mangalore, Karnataka
- Cochin, Kerala
- Kozhikode, Kerala
- Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
- Indore, Madhya Pradesh
- Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Nagpur, Maharashtra
- Pune, Maharashtra
- Bhubaneshwar, Odisha
- Amritsar, Punjab
- Chandigarh, Punjab
- Jalandhar, Punjab
- Jaipur, Rajasthan
- Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
- Madurai, Tamil Nadu
- Hyderabad, Telangana
- Agartala, Tripura
- Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh
- Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
- Haldwani, Uttarakhand
- Burdwan, West Bengal
- Kharagpur, West Bengal
- Kolkata, West Bengal
TIFR GS 2022 Previous Question paper
Previous Years Question Papers for Graduate Programme at Tata Institute of Fundamental Research Graduate School is classified into the following Subjects, like Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Computer & Systems Sciences (including Communications and Applied Probability) and Science Education.
- Click here to check the all previous year question papers
TIFR GS 2022 Admission Procedure
The admissions procedure (in all subjects, except Science Education) consists of an online test at one of the several nationwide centres, followed by interviews and/or second written test of shortlisted candidates depending on the subject/programme. Shortlisted candidates will be called for interviews to be held during March-May 2022. Exact dates would be announced later. Results of the entrance examination will be announced by end-January, 2022 and students shortlisted for interview will be intimated by email.
For detail about Admission Procedure Click here to check all details.
TIFR GS 2022 About TIFR GS
The Tata Institute of Fundamental Research was conceived and founded by the distinguished Indian Scientist Dr. Homi Bhabha in June 1945 with the active support of the Sir Dorabji Tata Trust and the Government of Bombay Presidency. In 1962, the Institute shifted to its present picturesque campus at Colaba on the shores of the Arabian Sea. At TIFR, research is carried out in frontline areas of all the fundamental sciences: Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics and Physics, as well as in the field of Science Education. TIFR Scientists are world leaders in several fields and their published contributions to scientific knowledge are internationally recognised. Over the years, the Institute has developed many new areas of research as well as training programmes.
To get fastest exam alerts and government job alerts in India, join our Telegram channel.