IIAST 2020 – IIA Bangalore will be selecting the candidates who are seeking admission in Ph.D, on the basis of interview which will be done after the candidates have successfully filled the Applictation Form. IIAST does not conduct a written test, instead the candidates are selected on the basis of Application Form filled by them. The application form has been released for IIAST 2020 Admission. Candidates can refer the official website to fill the application form. A direct link to apply online has also been provided below. Short-listed candidates will be interviewed at IIA Bangalore. Candidates can check all the information related to IIAST 2020 on this page.
Latest: The application form for IIAST 2020 has been released online. You can get the link to apply from below.
IIA conducts the following two graduate programmes including Ph.D, jointly with Pondicherry Central University and integrated M.Tech. – Ph.D, jointly with the University of Calcutta leading to Ph.D. degrees.
Schedule for the IIAST for Indian Institute of Astrophysics Ph.D. 2020 is given below.
|IIAST 2020||Important Dates|
|Online Application Form will be available from||30 Jun 2020|
|Last date to apply online||20 Jul 2020|
|The interview for PhD will be held on||to be announced|
|The interview for M.Tech will be held on||to be announced|
IIAST 2020 Advertisement
IIAST 2020 Application Form
Candidates can fill their Application form online through the official website. All the candidates who are eligible can fill the application form. Applications are invited from students who expect to complete M.Sc. (Physics) / Integrated M.Sc. (Physics) / B.E. / B.Tech. / M.E. / M.Tech. degree by June 2020 or already completed, with 60% marks from Standard X onwards. All applicants must fill the online application form. No hard copy applications will be entertained.
In addition to the above, the other minimum eligibility criteria to apply are, All India rank in GATE (OR) JEST exam should be in the range 1 – 250 (OR) qualification in UGC-CSIR-NET (JRF) exam (OR) currently valid KVPY / INSPIRE fellowship.
Incomplete applications (without the scanned copy of stamp/passport size photograph of the student, X, XII, UG, PG mark sheets, GATE / UGC-CSIR-NET (JRF) / JEST / KVPY / INSPIRE result) will be rejected.
When filling out the application form, please:
- Please provide all details of the marks/GPA for all examinations taken so far. Please normalize the GPA to 100%, i.e., if the GPA is out of 10, multiply by 10 etc.
- f you are currently studying in a degree programme, please mention the expected date of its completion and enter the marks up to the last examination for which the marks are available .
- If you have studied in a college, please mention both the name of the college and the name of the university to which it is affiliated.
- Please verify that you have filled in your postal and e-mail addresses and phone numbers correctly. If you are called for an interview, the call letter will be sent to your postal address.
- Please keep scanned copies of your recent photograph (jpg/png/ jpeg formats only; sizes preferably less than 250 kb ), mark sheets, and certificates (pdfs only; sizes preferably less than 250 kb ) ready. You will be prompted to upload them on the final preview page. If called for the interview you will be asked to bring originals of the relevant documents for verification.
IIAST 2020 Eligibility Criteria
Following is the Eligibility Criteria to be followed for IIAST 2020 :
A. You may apply if :
(a) you have qualified for JRF in the NET/CSIR/UGC exam, or
(b) scored 97 percentile or above in the JEST 2020, or
(c) scored 98 percentile or above in GATE(Physics)
Note: Scores must be valid at the time of admission.
Candidates applying for the IIA-Ph.D program based on their GATE / JEST score must have qualified in the PHYSICS paper of GATE / JEST.
NOTE: Percentile = [(T-R)/T]*100, where T = Total number of candidates, and R = All India Rank.
Please refer to the GATE / JEST score card for T & R.
B. IMPORTANT: Our admission criteria also requires the candidate to have scored aggregate of 60% marks or above throughout his/her academic career.
C. Candidates who have obtained their last degree (qualifying degree) before 2016 are not eligible to apply.
D. Age Limit: Maximum 25 years as on July 01, 2020.
- Initial screening will be conducted based on overall academic performance. Shortlisted candidates may be called for an interview. The interview will be held online [by audio-visual /audio means]. Original documents of all academic records (mark sheets, certificates, etc.) must be produced upon demand. If any information is found to have been falsified in the online application, it will lead to automatic and immediate disqualification of the candidate.
- The interview will be held online (by audio-visual /audio means)
- In case of difficulty in holding the interview, candidates will be selected based on their academic record
- In the worst case, the admission process is likely to be suspended
IIAST 2020 Admission Process
Entry to the above programmes is through either of the following national level tests: IIA screening test (IIAST), Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) exam, UGC-CSIR / NET exam for Junior Research Fellowship (JRF), and Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST), followed by personal interview. Students selected under Joint Astronomy Programme (JAP) organized by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore are also eligible to join IIA for the Ph.D progamme. Selection procedure consists of a screening test followed by an interview for the short-listed candidates. Selected students are provided hostel accommodation, medical facilities and annual book grant.
IIAST 2020 Result
Indian Institute of Astrophysics is going to offer admission to the Ph.D programme based on interview. List of shortlisted candidates is declared on the basis of Interview round and the final result can be checked on the official website under Result section. After Result declaration, Initial screening is conducted based on the overall academic performance. Shortlisted candidates shall be called for a personal interview. Final selection is based on the interview at the IIA, Bangalore campus.
IIAST 2020 Scholarship & Other Allowances
Students admitted to the Ph.D. programme are initially offered a Junior Research Fellowship (JRF). On completion of two years as a Junior Research Fellow, a student is offered a Senior Research Fellowship (SRF) after an assessment. The stipend of a JRF is Rs. 25,000/- pm, and of a SRF is Rs. 28,000/- pm in addition to an annual book grant and medical facilities. Upon submission of the Ph.D. thesis the fellowship may be further increased. Hostel accomodation is normally provided to all students. If a student opts to stay in a private accomodation, a house rent allowance is paid as per the institute rules
The Indian Institute of Astrophysics (IIA) traces its origin to a small private observatory during 1786 at Madras (Chennai), which led to the establishment of the Solar Observatory in 1899 at Kodaikanal. In 1971, the Kodaikanal Observatory was made into an autonomous institution under the Department of Science & Technology, Government of India. With a rich history of over 200 years, IIA is a premier institute in the country devoted to basic research, instrumentation and training in astronomy, astrophysics and related physical sciences. Indian Institute of Astrophysics is a reputed institute that offers two graduate programs leading to PhD – (i) Ph.D., jointly with Pondicherry Central University, (M.Sc., Integrated M.Sc./M.E./M.Tech.) and (ii) Integrated M.Tech. – Ph.D., jointly with University of Calcutta (B.E./B.Tech).
Official Website: iiap.res.in
To get fastest exam alerts and government job alerts in India, join our Telegram channel.