Joint Admission Test for M.Sc. (JAM) is being conducted from 2004 to provide admissions to M.Sc. (Four Semesters), Joint M.Sc.-Ph.D., M.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual Degree, etc. Programmes at the IITs and Integrated Ph.D. Degree Programmes at IISc for consolidating Science as a career option for bright students. These postgraduate programmes at IITs and IISc offer high-quality education in their respective disciplines, comparable to the best in the world. The curricula for these programmes are designed to provide opportunities to the students to develop academic talent leading to a challenging and rewarding professional life. JAM is a Computer Based Online Examination. Admission to most of the Academic Programmes at various institutes will be made on the basis of merit in JAM.
Every year Joint Admission Test for M.Sc (JAM) is being organized by different IIT institute. Since the IITs organize JAM exam, hence it is also referred to as IIT JAM. JAM is a national level entrance exam for admission to M.Sc, Joint M.Sc PhD, M.Sc PhD Dual Degree, and similar programs. Know here all about IIT JAM such as syllabus, application form, dates, exam pattern, eligibility, JOAPS.
Important Dates for JAM or Joint Admission test for M.Sc are as follows.
|Date of JAM 2018 entrance examination||11 Feb 2018|
|Date of JAM 2019 entrance examination||10 Feb 2019|
IIT JAM Eligibility Criteria
Candidates must fulfil eligibility requirement of IIT JAM. Only then they will be considered for admission. Requirements are as follows.
- Joint Admission Test for M.Sc (JAM) is open for Indians, Foreigners both.
- Candidate should have a Bachelors degree.
- General / OBC candidate should have scored at least 55% or 5.5 out of 10 in aggregate marks or CGPA / CPI without rounding off (all subjects including language and subsidiaries of all years combined). SC / ST / PwD candidates should have a minimum score of 50% or 5.0 out of 10.
- If CGPA / CPI is on a different scale, then qualifying exam marks will be calculated by mapping it linearly on a scale of 10.
JAM Exam Pattern
- Examination Type – Objective type test
- Number of questions – 60
- Time Duration – 3 hours
- Marking Scheme – 60 questions carrying 100 marks
- Mode – Computer Based Test
- Language of Exam – Candidates may note that all questions will be in English language only.
|Section||Type of questions||Number of Questions||Time allotted|
|Section -A||Multiple Choice Questions||30||3 hours|
|Section -B||Multiple Select Questions||10|
|Section -C||Numerical Answer Type||20|
IIT JAM Syllabus
The syllabus consists of subjects taught at graduation level such as- Biological Sciences (BL), Biotechnology (BT), Mathematics (MA), Mathematical Statistics (MS) Chemistry (CY), Geology (GC), and Physics (PH). Candidates should have complete knowledge about the officially prescribed syllabus. The Syllabus for the seven Papers specified as follows:
- Biological Sciences (BL)– General Biology; Basics of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biophysics; Microbiology, Cell Biology and Immunology; Mathematical Sciences.
- Biotechnology (BT)– Biology of 10+2+3 level (General Biology; Biochemistry and Physiology; Basic Biotechnology; Molecular Biology; Cell Biology; Microbiology), Chemistry of 10+2+3 level, Mathematics of 10+2 level, Physics of 10+2 level.
- Chemistry (CY)-Physical chemistry (Basic Mathematical Concepts, Atomic and Molecular Structure, Theory of Gases, Solid state, Chemical Thermodynamics, Chemical and Phase Equilibria, Electrochemistry, Chemical Kinetics, Adsorption, Spectroscopy); Organic chemistry (Basic Concepts in Organic Chemistry and Stereochemistry, Organic Reaction Mechanism and Synthetic Applications, Qualitative Organic Analysis, Natural Products Chemistry, Aromatic and Heterocyclic Chemistry); Inorganic chemistry (Periodic Table, Chemical Bonding and Shapes of Compounds, Main Group Elements (s and p blocks), Transition Metals (d block), Bioinorganic Chemistry, Instrumental Methods of Analysis, Analytical Chemistry).
- Geology (GG)– Geomorphology, Structural Geology, Palaeontology, Stratigraphy, Mineralogy, Petrology, Economic Geology and Applied GeologyThe Planet Earth, Geomorphology, Structural Geology, Palaeontology, Stratigraphy, Mineralogy, Petrology, Economic Geology, Applied Geology.
- Mathematics (MA)– Sequences and Series of Real Numbers, Functions of One Real Variable, Functions of Two or Three Real Variables, Integral Calculus, Differential Equations, Vector Calculus, Group Theory, Linear Algebra, Real Analysis.
- Mathematical Statistics (MS)- Mathematics (Sequences and Series, Differential Calculus, Integral Calculus, Matrices); Statistics (Probability, Random Variables, Standard Distributions, Joint Distributions, Sampling distributions, Limit Theorems, Estimation, Testing of Hypotheses).
- Physics (PH)- Mathematical Methods; Mechanics and General Properties of Matter; Oscillations, Waves and Optics; Electricity and Magnetism; Kinetic theory, Thermodynamics; Modern Physics; Solid State Physics, Devices and Electronics.
Participating Institutes and Courses
Joint Admission Test for M.Sc. has a new participating Institute this year. IIT Dhanbad, earlier called as ISM Dhanbad, will also be grant admission in M.Sc. courses through JAM. Check all the JAM Participating Institutes and Courses Offered by it, from the table below:
|Participating Institute||Courses Offered|
|IIT Ropar||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in:
|IIT Roorkee||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in:
|IIT Patna||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in:
|IIT Madras||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in:
|IIT Kharagpur||Joint M.Sc.-Ph.D. Programmes in:
|IIT Kanpur||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in:
|IIT Jodhpur||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in:
|IIT Indore||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in:
|IIT Hyderabad||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in:
|IIT Guwahati||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in:
|IIT Gandhinagar||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in:
|IIT Dhanbad||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in:
Six-semesters M.Sc (Tech) programmes in:
|IIT Delhi||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in:
|IIT Bombay||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in:
M.Sc.-Ph.D. Dual Degree Programmes in:
|IIT Bhubaneswar||Joint M.Sc.-Ph.D. Programmes in:
|IIT (BHU) Varanasi||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in:
|IIT Bhilai||Two-year Master of Science (M.Sc.) Programmes in:
Note: Apart from these, various Institutes like IISc Bangalore will also provide admission through JAM Examination.