JEST Sample Paper – Theoretical Computer Science (TCS)
Preparing for JEST (Theoretical Computer Science): Information for candidates
Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST) is a preliminary screening test conducted jointly by several premier research institutes. Among these institutes, The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai is the only one that offers a Ph.D. programme in Theoretical Computer Science.
The JEST screening test for entrance to the PhD programme in theoretical computer science will be held typically on a Sunday in the middle of February every year. The test focusses on the following areas: Analytical Reasoning and Deduction, Combinatorics, Data Structures and Algorithms, Discrete Mathematics, Graph Theory, Principles of Programming.
In each of these areas, familiarity with the basics (including the necessary simple mathemat- ics) is assumed. There are questions of both types – some requiring short answers as well as some involving detailed problem solving. A sample questionnaire is attached. Some textbooks which may help you prepare for the test are listed below. You don’t need to read all the books. There is no specified “portion” for the test; rather, the test is designed to check the applicant’s understanding of foundational aspects of computing.
Suggested books to prepare for JEST TCS Exam
- Elements of Discrete Mathematics, C.L. Liu
- Discrete Mathematical Structures with Applications to Computer Science, Jean-Paul Tremblay and Ram P. Manohar
- Compilers: Principles, Techniques and Tools, Alfred V. Aho, Ravi Sethi and Jeffrey D. Ullman
- Fundamentals of Data Structures, Ellis Horowitz and Sartaj Sahni
- An Introduction to Data Structures with Applications, Jean-Paul Tremblay and P.G. Sorenson
- Fundamentals of Computer Algorithms, Ellis Horowitz, Sartaj Sahni and S. Rajasekaran
- The Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms, Alfred V. Aho, John E. Hopcroft and Jeffrey D. Ullman
- Introduction to Algorithms, Thomas H. Cormen, Charles E. Leiserson and Ronald L. Rivest
- How to solve it by computer, R.G. Dromey
- Programming Languages, Concepts and Constructs, Ravi Sethi
Download Complete Sample Paper – Sample Questions for Joint Entrance Screening Test