JEST 2018 is the Joint Entrance Screening Test is conducted for admission in Ph.D / Integrated Ph.D Programme in Physics or Theoretical Computer Science or Neuroscience or Computational Biology. JEST is recognized as a National Eligibility Test (NET) by the Science and Engineering Research Body (SERB). It is held for sponsored programmes and projects. JEST 2018 was held on February 18, 2018. Candidates aspiring to appear for the examination may apply until December 22, 2017. Get here complete details of JEST 2018 exam from this page.
The score of JEST will be accepted by 31 institutes. A common test will be held for Ph.D and Integrated Ph.D admission. The level of the questions will be that of graduation and post graduation. The candidates can appear in JEST as many times as they wish. All the important dates for JEST 2018 are as mentioned below.
|Submission of JEST 2018 online registration and application started from|
|Last date for online applications and payments|
|Availability of Admit Card||24 Jan 2018|
|JEST 2018||18 Feb 2018|
|The release of provisional Answer Key||27 Feb 2018|
|The release of Final Answer Key||22 Mar 2018|
|JEST 2018 Result||22 Mar 2018|
Official Website: www.jest.org.in
JEST 2018 Result
SERB has announced result of JEST 2018. The candidates will not get it via post or any other medium. To check the result of JEST 2018, the candidates will have to enter e-mail / username and password and access the login. The candidates need to download it because it will also serve as scorecard and will be valid for a period of 1 year.
JEST 2018 Cutoff
Only those candidates will qualify who will score more than the minimum required marks in the examination. The conducting body determines and uses the cutoff to delimit the candidates but does not announce it officially. As per the reports and experience of previous year qualifiers, it remains between 20 to 25 marks.
JEST 2018 Answer Key
The final answer key for JEST 2018 has been released. It is avilable online, at www.jest.org.in. The candidates could download it as a pdf and use it to estimate scores. Candidates also had the opportunity to challenge the JEST answer key. The last date to do so was March 02, 2018. Now, the conducting body will analyze all the challenges and will prepare the final answer key. On the basis of the final answer key, the result will be announced.
JEST 2018 Interview Round
Candidates who will qualify the exam will be called for the interview round. The interviews shall be conducted individually by the participating institutes. There is no particular syllabus for the interview as the candidates shall be judged at various fundamental levels.
JEST 2018 Interview Dates and Courses Offered by Participating Institutes
The interview dates are out. The candidates shall check it from the table below.
|ARIES PhD-interview||Ph. D.||11 to 15 Jun 2018|
|HRI entrance exam 1st round||M.Sc., Ph.D.||20 to 22 Apr 2018|
|HRI entrance exam 2nd round||M.Sc., Ph.D.||17 to 19 May 2018|
|IISER Bhopal iPh.D.||Int. Ph. D.||05 May 2018|
|IISER Bhopal Ph.D.||Ph. D.||03 to 04 May 2018|
|IISER Pune iPh.D.||Int. Ph. D.||14 to 16 Jun 2018|
|IISER Pune Ph.D.||Ph. D.||21 to 23 Jun 2018|
|Int. Ph.D. Interview dates for IISER Mohali||Int. Ph. D.||14 to 15 May 2018|
|National Centre for Radio Astrophysics (Pune); Interviews to be in TIFR Mumbai||Ph.D., Int. Ph.D.||19 to 21 Jun 2018|
|NISER Integrated Ph.D.||Int. Ph. D.||15 to 16 May 2018|
|NISER Regular Ph.D.||Ph. D.||18 to 19 May 2018|
|Ph.D. Interview dates for IISER Mohali||Ph. D.||11 to 12 May 2018|
|PRL interview (1st round)||Ph. D.||21 to 22 May 2018|
|PRL interview (2nd round)||Ph. D.||18 to 19 Jun 2018|
|SINP. Kolkata (1st Round)||Ph. D.||28 to 31 May 2018|
|SINP. Kolkata (2nd Round)||Ph. D.||18 to 21 Jun 2018|
|Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (Mumbai)||Ph.D., Int. Ph.D.||19 to 21 Jun 2018|
|The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai (1st round)||Ph.D., Int. Ph.D.||21 to 25 May 2018|
|The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai (2nd round)||Ph.D., Int. Ph.D.||25 to 27 Jun 2018|
|UGC-DAE CSR, Indore, and RRCAT, Indore||Ph. D.||07 to 10 May 2018|
|UGC-DAE CSR, Indore and RRCAT, Indore||Ph. D.||18 to 21 Jun 2018|
|VECC, Kolkata||Ph. D.||19 to 21 Jun 2018|
JEST 2018 Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria is B.Sc. for Integrated Ph.D. and M.Sc. for Ph.D. programmes. Students in the final year of these courses are also eligible to appear for JEST 2018. Additionally in some institutions B.Tech./B.E/M.E/M.Tech/4 year B.S. may also be eligible for Phd/Int-Phd programmes.
Ph.D. Programme – Physics
- M.Sc. in Physics or M.Sc. / M.E. / M.Tech. in related disciplines.
- M.Sc. in Mathematics / Applied Physics / Applied Mathematics / Optics and Photonics / Instrumentation / Electronics will also be considered at IIA.
- B.E. or B.Tech. will also be considered at IISc, IMSc, ICTS-TIFR, IUCAA, JNCASR, NCRA-TIFR, TIFR-TCIS, RRI, IISER Mohali, IISER Pune, IISER Thiruvananthapuram and SNBNCBS.
- Talented final year B.Sc. and first year M.Sc. in Physics / Electronics / Astronomy / Applied Mathematics students may also apply to be pre-selected for research scholarship at IUCAA.
- MSc in Physics, Engineering Physics or Applied Physics will also be considered at IPR. At TIFR, only B.Tech Eng. Phys. and M.Sc. Physics are eligible.
Ph.D Programme – Theoretical Computer Science/ Neuroscience / Computational Biology
- M.Sc./ M.E. / M.Tech. / M.C.A. in Computer Science and related disciplines, and should be interested in the mathematical aspects of computer science. Visit website of IMSc for further details. M.Sc (Physics/ Mathematics), B.E/ B.Tech/ M.C.A in Computer Science for Ph.D. in Neuroscience at NBRC.
- M.Sc./ M.E. / M.Tech. / MCA in any engineering or science discipline, with good mathematical skills and strong interest in biological problems for Ph.D. in Computational Biology at IMSc.
Integrated M.Sc./M.Tech. – Ph.D. Programme
- At HRI, IISER-Pune, ICTS-TIFR, SNBNCBS, NCRA-TIFR, and TIFR-TCIS candidates with a Bachelor’s degree will also be considered for the integrated M.Sc., Ph.D. programme in Physics.
- At IMSc, graduates with Bachelor’s degree in science/ mathematics/ /statistics /computer science/information technology/Engineering will also be considered for admission in Physics and in Theoretical Computer Science, as part of an integrated Ph.D. programme. All candidates successful in the course work of this programme shall be awarded an M.Sc. degree.
- At SNBNCBS, graduates with B.Sc. (Physics) / B.E. / B.Tech. degree will be considered for the integrated Post-B.Sc.-Ph.D. programme in subject areas mentioned above.
- At IIA, graduates with B.Sc. (Physics / Mathematics) / B.E. / B.Tech. in Electrical / Instrumentation / Engineering Physics / Electronics and Communications / Computer Science and Engineering / Optics and Photonics will be considered.
- At NBRC, B.Sc. (Physics/ Mathematics) & B.E./ B.Techi (Computer Science) will be considered for integrated M.Sc-Ph.D in Neuroscience.
Integrated M.Tech – Ph.D. Programme at IIA
- Graduates with M.Sc. (Physics / Applied Physics) / Post-B.Sc. (Hons) in Optics and Optoelectronics / Radio Physics and Electronics / B.E. / B.Tech. degree in subjects mentioned above will be considered. Visit IIA website for details.
Integrated Ph.D. Programme at IISER, Thiruvananthapuram
- Graduates with Bachelor’s degree in Physics/Technology/Engineering will be considered for the Int. Ph.D. programme in Physics.
JEST 2018 Application Form
- Application Process has ended!
To apply online, applicants needed to create an account using a valid email-id. This account will remain valid from the time of account creation till one month after the date of declaration of results, for that year. Email-ids are linked to the created account as well as to the application and will be used for all communications with the applicants. Therefore, the email-id should be active and must not be changed during this period. To submit application online applicants must log in to the created account and complete the application form. After submission, a unique submission number will be sent to your email-id. Please save all the emails sent to you and the unique submission number must be quoted by the applicant for any communication with the JEST authority.
An Application Fee is required to be paid along with the application which can be paid online.
- General/OBC Applicants- Rs. 300
- SC/ST Applicants- Rs 150
The steps for submission of JEST 2018 On-line application form are
- Register yourself before you login. It is assumed that you already have an email-id.
- To register, the candidate has to click on the “register to appear for the exam” link in the Homepage. You will receive an email with your account information after registering with a valid email-id. Follow the instructions given in the email for resetting your password and further login.
- Login to the JEST homepage with your username (your email-id) and password. Fill the form and save it, or, modify an already saved form. Press the “Submit Application” button only when you have inserted and checked all the mandatory entries.
- Upload jpg files of your Passport size photo and scanned signature.
- Pay the application fee online using the State Bank of India i-collect facility. Please check the FAQ for details of the payment process.
- After ONLINE submission of the application form and successful e-payment of the application fee, your submission procedure will be considered complete. NO modification will be allowed after this.
Exam Centers for JEST 2018
Cities, where the JEST 2018 examination will be conducted – Ahmedabad, Allahabad, Aligarh, Bangalore, Bardhaman, Bhubaneswar, Bhopal, Chandigarh, Chennai, Delhi, Goa, Guwahati, Indore, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Kolkata, Kochi, Madurai, Mumbai, Nainital, Nagpur, Patna, Pune, Raipur, Roorkee, Sambalpur, Silchar, Siliguri, Srinagar, Trivandrum, Udaipur, and Visakhapatnam.
JEST 2018 Syllabus
The syllabus of the examination is as mentioned below.
Mathematical Methods: Vector algebra and vector calculus, tensors, curvilinear coordinate systems, linear algebra; Linear differential equations, elements of Sturm–Liouville theory; Special functions; Complex analysis; Fourier series and Fourier transforms, Laplace transforms; Elementary properties of discrete groups; Elements of probability theory, error analysis.
Classical Mechanics: Newton’s laws, conservation of energy and momentum, collisions; generalized coordinates, principle of least action, Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulations of mechanics; Symmetry and conservation laws; central force problem, Kepler problem; Small oscillations and normal modes; special relativity in classical mechanics.
Electromagnetism & Optics: Electrostatics and magnetostatics, boundary value problems, multipole
expansion; Fields in conducting, dielectric, diamagnetic and paramagnetic media; Faraday’s law and time varying fields; displacement current; Maxwell’s equations; energy and momentum of electromagnetic fields; Propagation of plane electromagnetic waves, reflection, refraction; Electromagnetic waves in dispersive and conducting media; diffraction, interference, polarization.
Quantum Mechanics: Uncertainty principle; Schrodinger equation; central potentials, hydrogen
atom; Orbital and spin angular momenta, addition of angular momenta; Matrix formulation of quantum theory, unitary transformations, Hermitian operators; Variational principle, time independent perturbation theory, time dependent perturbation theory.
Thermodynamics & Statistical Physics: Laws of thermodynamics, work and heat, thermodynamic potentials; Elements of kinetic theory; Maxwell’s relations; Statistical ensembles; partition function; classical ideal gas, harmonic oscillators; Classical and quantum statistics; Fermi and Bose gases; black body radiation; statistics of paramagnetism.
Electronics: Basics of semiconductor; p-n junctions, diodes, transistors; LCR circuits, rectifiers, amplifiers, active filters and oscillators; basics of OPAMPs and their applications; basics of digital electronics.
Sciences Entrance Exams