The Science & Engineering Research Board (SERB) will conduct JEST 2019 on February 17, 2019. The aspirants who seek admission in Ph.D. / Integrated Ph.D. Programme in Physics or Theoretical Computer Science or Neuroscience or Computational Biology can appear for this entrance exam. The Joint Screening Test (JEST) is a national level entrance exam which is held every year by SERB. Those who wish to appear for this test can register online from November 01, 2018 onwards. The registration for JEST 2019 at jest.org.in. It is also advised to the candidates to check the eligibility criteria before proceeding to apply for the exam.
After the application process is over, the candidates who will successfully apply for the exam will be issued the JEST 2019 Admit Card. The score for JEST will be valid for one year only. The candidates are shortlisted for admission in more than 22 participating Institutes. Check complete details about JEST 2019 from this page.
The candidates can appear in JEST as many times as they wish. As per unofficial sources, in the year 2017, about 11687 (5203 for Int. Ph.D. and 6484 for Ph.D.) candidates in Physics and 619 candidates in Theoretical Computer Science wrote the JEST examination.
JEST 2019 Important Dates: The candidates can check the complete schedule for JEST 2019 from tha table below.
|JEST 2019||Important Date|
|Availability of Application form||01 Nov 2018|
|Last date to submit the application form for JEST 2019||15 Dec 2018|
|Issuance of the JEST 2019 Admit Card||After 20 Jan 2019|
|JEST 2019 exam date||17 Feb 2019|
|The release of provisional Answer Key||Last week of Feb 2019|
|The release of Final Answer Key||03rd week of Mar 2019|
|Declaration of JEST 2019 Result||03rd week of Mar 2019|
JEST 2019 Eligibility Criteria
The candidates who wish to apply for JEST 2019 must firstly ensure that they fulfill the eligibility criteria. Below we have mentioned the JEST eligibility for each course.
Eligibility Criteria for Ph.D. Programme – Physics
- The candidates should hold an M.Sc. in Physics. This is applicable for admission in all participating Institutes.
Additionally, some institutes accept B.E. / B.Tech. / M.Sc. / M.E. / M.Tech. in disciplines of Applied Physics and Mathematics.
- M.Sc. in Mathematics / Applied Physics / Applied Mathematics / Optics and Photonics / Instrumentation / Electronics will also be considered at IIA.
- B.E. or B.Tech. will be considered at IISc, IMSc, ICTS-TIFR, IUCAA, JNCASR, NCRA-TIFR, TIFR-TCIS, RRI, IISER Mohali, IISER Pune, IISER Thiruvananthapuram.
- M.Sc. in Physics / Electronics / Astronomy / Applied Mathematics will be considered at IUCAA.
- M.Sc in Physics, Engineering Physics or Applied Physics will also be considered at IPR.
- M.Sc. in Physics, Chemistry, Applied Mathematics, Biophysics or Biochemistry will be considered at SNBNCBS.
- B.Tech Eng. Phys.will be considered at TIFR.
- M.E./ M.Tech in Applied Physics will be considered at NISER.
Eligibility Criteria for Theoretical Computer Science at IMSc
- The candidates should have an M.Sc./ ME / M.Tech in Computer Science and related disciplines.
- Furthermore, the should be interested in the mathematical aspects of computer science.
Eligibility Criteria for Ph.D. in Neuroscience at NBRC
- The candidates should possess an M.Sc (Physics/ Mathematics), B.E/ BTech/ MCA in Computer Science
Eligibility Criteria for Ph D in Computational Biology at IMSc
- The aspirants should have passed M.Sc./ M.E. / M.Tech. / MCA in any engineering or science discipline, with good mathematical skills and a strong interest in biological problems.
Eligibility Criteria for Integrated M.Sc. / M.Tech – Ph.D Programme (Physics)
Those who wish to apply for this course, the eligibility condition differ from one participating institute to another. Check the complete eligibility criteria below:-
- B. Sc. (Physics / Mathematics) will be considered at SNBNCBS.
- B. Sc. (Physics) will be considered at IMSc.
- B.Sc. (Physics / Mathematics) / B.E. / B.Tech. in Electrical / Instrumentation / Engineering Physics / Electronics and Communications / Computer Science and Engineering / Optics and Photonics will be considered in IIA.
- B.Sc (Physics) or B.E./B. Tech in Engineering Physics, with a minimum of first class marks, will be considered at NISER.
- B.Sc. (Physics) will be considered at IISER-Pune, ICTS-TIFR, NCRA-TIFR, and TIFR-TCIS.
- B. Sc. (Physics / Mathematics) / B.E. / B.Tec. will be considered for Integrated M.Sc – PhD at Bose Institute.
Eligibility Criteria for Integrated Ph.D. Programme in Theoretical Computer Science at IMSc
- The candidates should have passed B.Sc./B.E./B.Tech./M.C.A. in Computer Science or related disciplines and should be interested in the mathematical aspects of computer science.
Eligibility Criteria for Integrated M.Tech – Ph.D. Programme at IIA
- Should possess an M.Sc. (Physics / Applied Physics) / Post-B.Sc. (Hons) in Optics and Optoelectronics / Radio Physics and Electronics
Eligibiliity Criteria for Integrated Ph.D. Programme at IISER IISER. Thiruvananthapuram
- The candidates should have passed B. Sc. (Physics) or B.E. / B. Tech. in any discipline
Eligibility Criteria for the MSc Programme at HRI
- Should possess a BSc in Physics or B.E./BTech degree in any discipline
- HRI is starting a new M.Sc. programme in Physics from 2017. The Integrated Ph.D. programme in Physics at HRI is discontinued from 2017.
JEST 2019 Application Form
The application form for JEST 2019 will be available online only. Before the candidates proceed to fill in details in the form, you should first check the eligibility criteria for it. To apply for JEST 2019, the aspirants first have to register online at the JEST official website. To register online, you need to provide your own valid Email Id and Mobile Number. Once the registration part is over, the aspirants can proceed to fill in details in the JEST 2019 Application Form. In the online application form, one also have to upload scanned images of their photograph and signature.
The last and final step is to pay the requisite amount of the application fee. The candidates can pay the JEST 2019 Application Fee by online mode only. After the online submission of the application form and successful e-payment of the application fee, your submission procedure will be considered complete.
JEST 2019 Application Fee
To submit the application form for JEST 2019, the aspirants have to pay the following amount of the application fee.
|SC/ST, Female applicants||Rs. 150|
|All other category candidates||Rs. 300|
|Female Applicants belonging to SC/ST||NO application fee|
Mode of Payment: The candidates can pay the application fee as given above by using Credit Card/ Debit Card/ Net Banking.
JEST 2019 Exam Centers
As per the information provided on the official website, the JEST 2019 will be conducted in various cities across India. The candidates will have to give their test city preference at the time of filling in details in the JEST 2019 Application Form.
Note: Calicut and Mangalore (Centre is subject availability. the Second option will be allotted if the center is not available).
JEST 2019 Exam Pattern
JEST is a pen-paper based which will consist of MCQ type questions. The test shall be conducted in a single session. The question paper for Physics will be divided into three parts – Part A, B, and C. The distribution of question in each of these sections is given below.
|Parts||Number of questions|
Marking Scheme: It is important that the candidates who are preparing for JEST 2019 should be well aware of the marking scheme to avoid any surprises during the test.
|Parts||Marks for Correct Answer||Is there a negative Marking||Marks Deducted for an incorrect answer|
JEST 2019 Syllabus
Those who will be preparing for the entrance exam must prepare for it as per the syllabus is given by the exam conducting body. The SERB has not yet published the syllabus for JEST 2019, however, till then the candidates can check the last year syllabus below.
JEST 2019 Physics Syllabus
- Mathematical Methods: Vector algebra and vector calculus, tensors, curvilinear coordinate systems, linear algebra; Linear differential equations, elements of Sturm–Liouville theory; Special functions; Complex analysis; Fourier series and Fourier transforms, Laplace transforms; Elementary properties of discrete groups; Elements of probability theory, error analysis.
- Classical Mechanics: Newton’s laws, conservation of energy and momentum, collisions; generalized coordinates, the principle of least action, Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulations of mechanics; Symmetry and conservation laws; central force problem, Kepler problem; Small oscillations and normal modes; special relativity in classical mechanics.
- Electromagnetism & Optics: Electrostatics and magnetostatics, boundary value problems, multiple expansion; Fields in conducting, dielectric, diamagnetic and paramagnetic media; Faraday’s law and time-varying fields; displacement current; Maxwell’s equations; energy and momentum of electromagnetic fields; Propagation of plane electromagnetic waves, reflection, refraction; Electromagnetic waves in dispersive and conducting media; diffraction, interference, polarization.
- Quantum Mechanics: Uncertainty principle; Schrodinger equation; central potentials, hydrogen atom; Orbital and spin angular momenta, addition of angular momenta; Matrix formulation of quantum theory, unitary transformations, Hermitian operators; Variational principle, time independent perturbation theory, time dependent perturbation theory.
- Thermodynamics & Statistical Physics: Laws of thermodynamics, work and heat, thermodynamic potentials; Elements of kinetic theory; Maxwell’s relations; Statistical ensembles; partition function; classical ideal gas, harmonic oscillators; Classical and quantum statistics; Fermi and Bose gases; black body radiation; statistics of paramagnetism.
- Electronics: Basics of the semiconductor; p-n junctions, diodes, transistors; LCR circuits, rectifiers, amplifiers, active filters, and oscillators; basics of OPAMPs and their applications; basics of digital electronics.
- Click here check the JEST Physics Syllabus
How to Prepare for JEST TCS 2019?
The Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST) is a preliminary screening test which is conducted jointly by several premier research institutes. Among these institutes, the Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai is the only one that offers a Ph.D. programme in Theoretical Computer Science (TCS).
The TCS focusses on the following areas: Analytical Reasoning and Deduction, Combinatorics, Data Structures and Algorithms, Discrete Mathematics, Graph Theory, Principles of Programming.
To prepare for JEST TCS, it is advised to the candidates to keep their concepts crystal clear in the above topics. The questions from this subject may contain both short answers as well as some involving detailed problem- solving. Hence, it is important that the candidates should solve sample paper and past year question papers as much as possible.
Books For JEST TCS 2019 Preparation
The exam conducting body has recommended the following list of books for TCS preparation.
|Name of the Book||Name of the Author||Buy Here|
|Elements of Discrete Mathematics||C.L. Liu||Click Here to buy|
|Discrete Mathematical Structures with Applications to Computer Science||Jean-Paul Tremblay and Ram P. Manohar||Click Here to buy|
|Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools||Alfred V. Aho, Ravi Sethi, and Jeffrey D. Ullman||Click Here to buy|
|Fundamentals of Data Structures,||Ellis Horowitz and Sartaj Sahni||Click Here to buy|
|An Introduction to Data Structures with Applications||Jean-Paul Tremblay and P.G. Sorenson||Click Here to buy|
|The Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms||Alfred V. Aho, John E. Hopcroft, and Jeffrey D. Ullman||Click Here to buy|
JEST 2019 Admit Card
The candidates who will successfully submit the application form before the last date will be issued the JEST 2019 Admit Card. The candidates will get their admit card through online mode only at the exam’s official website. You must take a print out of the JEST Admit Card and bring it on the day of the examination. As per the information provided on the JEST official website, the SCERB will not send the JEST Admit Card 2019 through post/ email/ fax.
On the day of the examination, along with the print out of the JEST 2019 Admit Card. the applicants also have to carry a valid id proof. The admit card contains details about the exam such as date, timings, reporting time, the address of the test center, etc.
JEST 2019 Answer Key
Once the exam is conducted successfully at all the test centers, the exam conducting shall then release the answer key online. The candidates who will appear for the test will be able to download it from the website, jest.org.in. With the help of JEST 2019 Answer Key, the applicants need to cross-check their answers marked by them in OMR Answer Sheet with that given in the Answer Key. The candidates must calculate their marks as per the defined marking scheme. The candidates shall not be given the opportunity to raise an objection/ challenge the answer key.
JEST 2019 Result
SERB will announce the result of JEST 2019. The candidates will not get it via post or any other medium. To check the result of JEST 2019, the candidates will have to enter e-mail/username and password and access the login. The candidates need to download it because it will also serve as a scorecard and will be valid for a period of 1 year.
JEST 2019 Cutoff
Only those candidates will qualify who will score more than the minimum required marks in the examination. The conducting body determines and uses the cutoff to delimit the candidates but does not announce it officially. As per the reports and experience of previous year qualifiers, it remains between 20 to 25 marks.
JEST 2019 Interview Round
Candidates who will qualify the exam will be called for the interview round. The interviews shall be conducted individually by the participating institutes. There is no particular syllabus for the interview as the candidates shall be judged at various fundamental levels.
JEST 2019 Interview Dates
The interview dates will be announced as per schedule. The candidates can check it from the table below.
|ARIES PhD-interview||Ph. D.||2nd week of Jun 2019|
|HRI entrance exam 1st round||M.Sc., Ph.D.||3rd week of Apr 2019|
|HRI entrance exam 2nd round||M.Sc., Ph.D.||3rd week of May 2019|
|IISER Bhopal iPh.D.||Int. Ph. D.||1st week of May 2019|
|IISER Bhopal Ph.D.||Ph. D.||1st week of May 2019|
|IISER Pune iPh.D.||Int. Ph. D.||2nd week of Jun 2019|
|IISER Pune Ph.D.||Ph. D.||3rd week of Jun 2019|
|Int. Ph.D. Interview dates for IISER Mohali||Int. Ph. D.||2nd week of May 2019|
|National Centre for Radio Astrophysics (Pune); Interviews to be in TIFR Mumbai||Ph.D., Int. Ph.D.||3rd week of Jun 2019|
|NISER Integrated Ph.D.||Int. Ph. D.||2nd week of May 2019|
|NISER Regular Ph.D.||Ph. D.||3rd week of May 2019|
|Ph.D. Interview dates for IISER Mohali||Ph. D.||2nd week of May 2019|
|PRL interview (1st round)||Ph. D.||3rd week of May 2019|
|PRL interview (2nd round)||Ph. D.||3rd week of Jun 2019|
|SINP. Kolkata (1st Round)||Ph. D.||last week of May 2019|
|SINP. Kolkata (2nd Round)||Ph. D.||3rd week of Jun 2019|
|Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (Mumbai)||Ph.D., Int. Ph.D.||3rd week of Jun 2019|
|The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai (1st round)||Ph.D., Int. Ph.D.||last week of May 2019|
|The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai (2nd round)||Ph.D., Int. Ph.D.||last week of Jun 2019|
|UGC-DAE CSR, Indore, and RRCAT, Indore||Ph. D.||1st week of May 2019|
|UGC-DAE CSR, Indore and RRCAT, Indore||Ph. D.||3rd week of Jun 2019|
|VECC, Kolkata||Ph. D.||3rd week of Jun 2019|
Click here to check the list of Participating Institutes in Joint Entrance Screening Test 2019.
For more details of JEST 2019 follow the official website: www.jest.org.in