Established in 1958, the second of its kind, IIT Bombay was the first to be set up with foreign assistance. The funds from UNESCO came as Roubles from the then Soviet Union. In 1961 Parliament decreed the IITs as ‘Institutes of National Importance’. Since then, IITB has grown from strength to strength to emerge as one of the top technical universities in the world.
Address: IIT Area, Powai, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400076
Campus size: 550 acres
Phone: 022 2572 2545
Director: Devang Vipin Khakhar
Administrative staff: 565
Total enrollment: 8,000 (2015)
IIT Bombay Admission
IIT Bombay, along with other IITs and IISc, conducts entrance examination for admission and pre-qualification of students for undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
- JEE (Advanced Joint Entrance Examination) for the B.Tech Admission
- GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) for M.Tech and PhD Admission
- CEED (Common Entrance Exam for Design) for M. Des and PhD Admission
- UCEED (Undergraduate Common Entrance Examination for Design) for B.Des Admission
- JAM (Joint Admission Test) for M.Sc. Admission