Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, is the first to be recognized as an Institute of National Importance. The institute offers admission in undergraduate, post graduate and Ph.D programs. The institute is located in West Bengal, Kolkata. It is the 3rd oldest technical institute in the state of West Bengal. Admissions in IIT Kharagpur are based on the scores of JEE Main and Advanced and GATE. In under graduate courses 15% of the seats are reserved for SC 7.5% for ST and 27% separate reservation for OBC. Read the full article for more information about IIT Kharagpur.
IIT Kharagpur Admissions
IIT Kharagpur offers a total of 117 undergraduate and postgraduate courses and a few Ph.D programs as well and the selection for all the programs is done through different competitive exams such as JEE and GATE.
IIT Kharagpur List of Courses
Check below the list of both Undergraduate and postgraduate courses that IIT Kharagpur offers –
- Aerospace Engineering – 2 specialization
- Agricultural and Food Engineering – 7 specialization
- Architecture and REgional Planning – 1 specialization
- Bio Science – 1 specialization
- Biotechnology – 1 specialization
- Chemical Engineering – 2 specialization
- Chemistry – 2 specialization
- Civil Engineering – 7 specialization
- Computer Science and Engineering – 2 specialization
- Electrical Engineering – 10 specialization
- Electronics and Electrical communication Engg – 8 specialization
- Geology and Geophysics – 4 specialization
- Humanities and Social Sciences – 1 specialization
- Industrial and Systems Engineering – 5 specialization
- Mathematics – 4 specialization
- Mechanical Engineering – 7 specialization
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering – 2 specialization
- Mining Engineering – 3 specialization
- Ocean Engg and Naval Architecture – 2 specialization
- Physics – 2 specialization
- School of Medical Science and Technology – 3 specialization
- Rajendra Mishra School of Engg Entrepreneurship – 1 specialization
- Vinod Gupta School of Management – 1 specialization
Mode of IIT Kharagpur Admissions and Selection
Admission to all undergraduate courses is done through Joint Entrance Examination (JEE). Candidates who qualify JEE are eligible to apply for admission in B.Tech, B.Arch, Dual degree (5 years) and M.Sc courses. The institute also offers joint MTech PhD programs and admission for this course is conducted through Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE).
IIT Kharagpur Tuition Fee and Scholarship
Check below the fee structure and scholarship assistance provided by IIT Kharagpur
Tuition Fee (undergraduate courses)
- Tuition Fee for (UR/EWS/OB-NCL income limit greater than Rs. 5.0 Lakh p.a) = Rs. 100000.00
- Tuition Fee for (UR/EWS/OB-NCL income limit less than equal to Rs. 5.0 Lakh p.a) = Rs. 33335.00
- Tuition Fee for (UR/EWS/OB-NCL income limit less than Rs. 1.0 Lakh p.a.) = NIL
- Tuition Fee for (SC/ST/PwD) = NIL
- More than 1000 students at IIT-KGP receive financial assistance from different external agencies and corporations.
- Some Alumni funded scholarships are also provided
- Students also receive scholarship on Merit basis
IIT Kharagpur Admissions via Joint Entrance Examination (JEE)
It is an Engineering Entrance Examination conducted for admission in various engineering colleges in India. The exam is divided into two phases JEE Main and JEE Advanced. These exams are the most difficult and challenging undergraduate admission tests. AIEEE was replaced by JEE Main for admission in NITs, IITs and CFTIs. While IIT-JEE was replaced by JEE Advance for admission in IITs. Candidates who qualify JEE Main entrance are only eligible to appear for JEE Advanced exam.
IIT Kharagpur Admissions via Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)
It is an exam conducted by IIsc, Bangalore, and seven other IITs including (Delhi, Bombay, Guwahati, Kanpur, Madras, Roorkee and Kharagpur). The exam is mandatory for students who seek admission in Masters program and direct doctoral degree in Engineering/ Technology and Architecture or Doctoral programs in branches of science in institutes supported by government agencies and MHRD. The GATE score is also considered for recruitment process of some Public Sector Undertakings (PSU).
IIT Kharagpur Placements
IIT Kharagpur gives invitation to some of the best recruiters for internship and placement program of its students. More than 1500 students are placed every year in 250+ top brands with the best package in the industry. The institute also organizes various programmes and sessions to help students work on their communication and aptitude skills.
About IIT Kharagpur
The motto of the institute is “Yogah karmasu Kaushalam” meaning that doing your work well is yoga. Its mission is to expertise in Science, Technology, Management and Law to equip students with skills to execute projects in these fields. It was established by the Government of India in 1951. It is the first IIT to be recognized as an Institute of National Importance. IIT kharagpur has a 8.5 square km campus with around 22,000 residents. The academic staff in the institute is around 700 and the administrative staff ia 1500.
IIT Kharagpur rankings according to NIRF and QS Asia rankings
|Ranking By||Rank in 2019|
|National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF)||3rd|
|QS Asia rankings||53|
Some of the notable Alumni of Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur.
- Arvind Kejriwal – Chief Minister of Delhi
- Chaudhary Ajit Singh – Cabinet Minister
- Anuradha Acharya – co – founder and CEO Of Mapmygenome
- Ramesh Chandra – Founder Unitech Group
- Ravi Kant – Former vice – chairman of Tata Motors
- Raj Kamal Jha – Chief Editor of Indian Express
- Sandipan Deb – Founder editor of Outlook
IIT Kharagpur Contact Details
Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India – 721302
Phone – +91-3222-255221
Fax – +91-3222-255303
To get fastest exam alerts and government job alerts in India, join our Telegram channel.