JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2020 – National Testing Agency (NTA) took charge of conducting JEE Main. However, it has not changed the eligibility criteria from earlier. The criteria for age limit, state eligibility, and the qualifying exam and the passing year of the qualifying exam all play major role in a candidate’s eligibility to appear for JEE Main 2020. Thus, on ths page below the candidtaes can check the eligibility to appear for JEE Main 2020. With it we have also explained the eligibility for admission in the IITs and NITs, IIITs, CFTIs, SFIs etc. The candidtaes can also check how they can be eligible to appear for JEE Advanced for ultimate admissions in the IITs. Keep reading!
JEE Main 2020 Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for JEE Main 2020 exam is limited to Age Limit, Education Qualification, Number of Attempts, and Qualifying Examination. However, there is a separate specific JEE Main Eligibility Criteria for NIT, IIITs, SFIs and CFTIs Admissions. The candidates should know and ensure these criteria as well because, during JoSAA counseling, the seat will only be allocated to candidates if it is satisfied.
Now let us check the above eligibility points one by one below:
1. Eligibility to appear in JEE Main 2020
There are a few criteria that you must check when you apply for JEE Main 2020, such as:
#1 Age Limit to Appear in JEE Main 2020
- There is no age limit for the candidates to apply for JEE Main exam.
- Students who have passed Class 12th exam irrespective of their year can apply for this national level exam.
#2 List of the Qualifying Exam
- The final examination of the 10+2 system, conducted by any recognized central/ State Board, such as Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi; Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations, New Delhi; etc.
- Intermediate or two-year Pre-University examination conducted by a recognized Board/University.
- Final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defense Academy
- Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with a minimum of five subjects.
- Any Public School/ Board/ University examination in India or in any foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
- Higher Secondary Certificate Vocational Examination.
- A Diploma recognized by AICTE or a State board of technical education of at least 3 year duration.
#3 The Year of passing the qualifying examination
- Only those candidates who have passed their Class 12th Examination or any equivalent qualifying examination in 2018 or 2019; or those who are appearing in their Class 12th Examination or any equivalent qualifying examination in 2020 are eligible to appear in January JEE(Main)-2020 Examination.
- Candidates who passed Class 12th/Qualifying examination in 2017 or before as well as those who will appear in such examination in 2021 or later are not eligible to appear in JEE (Main)–2020.
- Candidates must note that the IITs permit only two attempts for the JEE (Advanced), i.e. a candidate should have appeared for the Class XII (or equivalent) examination for the first time in either 2019 or 2020, subject to the condition of not having been admitted at an IIT on the earlier occasion.
#4 Number of Attempts in JEE Main
There is no attempt limit in JEE Main 2020. However the candidates get to take a limited attempt due to the criteria of year of passing the qualifying exam, as explained above.
Reservation in JEE Main 2020
In case of the institutes run by Central Government, the below-given reservation policy is followed:
2. Eligibility to appear in JEE Advanced 2020
The candidates become eligible for JEE Advanced 2020 only if they qualify JEE Main 2020.
Apart from that below are the pints that must be also taken care of:
- The minimum academic qualification for appearing in JEE (Advanced) -2020 is that the candidate must have passed in final examination of Class 12thor equivalent qualifying examination with at least 75% aggregate marks (65% for SC, ST, and PwD) or being in the top 20 percentile of their respective boards.
- The candidates who are appearing in 10+2 in 2020, are also eligible for JEE Advanced 2020.
Note that The IITs have specific eligibility criteria for admission, which includes an age bar, limited number of attempts and year of passing class 12th or equivalent. The candidates must check these criteria from the respective websites of the IITs.
You are not eligible for JEE Advanced 2020 as per the points below:
- Also, the candidates who do not appear for the B.E/B.Tech paper in JEE Main 2020 are not eligible for JEE Advanced 2020.
- The candidates, who have attempted JEE (Main) /JEE (Advanced) in 2018 or earlier, are NOT ELIGIBLE to appear in JEE (Advanced)–2020.
3. JEE Main 2020 Eligibility for admission in IITs
The candidates do not get admission in the IITs based on the marks of JEE Main. The top candidtaes of JEE Main 2020 rank list have to pass jEE Advanced examination to get into the IITs. The top candidtaes is decided by JEE authorities and every year around the top 2-2.5 Lakh candidates of JEE Main are allowed for JEE Advanced.
However, to be eligible for admission in the IITs, the candidate must check the below-given points:
- You must have 75% or must be in the top 20 percentile in class 12 of your respective boards.
- You must check the subject combination in 10+2.
- Check the respective IITs criteria for age, attempts etc before admission.
4. JEE Main 2020 Eligibility Criteria for NITs, IIITs, and CFTIs, SFIs, State Engineering Colleges Admissions
Any candidate satisfying the criteria above is eligible to appear for JEE Main 2020. However, to get admission through JoSSA counselling in NITs, IIITs, and GFTIs the candidates have to satisfy the eligibility criteria mentioned below:
Qualifying JEE Main 2020 –
- The candidates will only be granted admission if they will qualify JEE Main 2020
- Previous year JEE scores are not considered.
Subjects in Qualifying Exam –
The Subject combination in Qualifying Exam (10+2 / equivalent) for BE/ BTech, BArch/ BPlan should be:
|Course||Subjects Required in QE|
|B.E / B.Tech||Physics, Mathematics with Chemistry / Biology / Biotechnology / Technical Vocational subjects|
|B.Arch||Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry|
Either 75% or Among Top 20 Percentile in Qualifying Exam:
- Candidates should have secured either 75% in Qualifying Examination or should be among Top 20 Percentile of respective School Board.
- For the SC / ST candidates, the minimum marks percentage in Qualifying Examination is 65%. However, the Top 20 percentile criteria remain the same.
Either 50% or more for admission in the institutes other than NITs, IIITs, CFTIs in B.Arch and B.Plan courses:
- No candidate shall be admitted to architecture course unless she/he has passed an examination at the end of the qualifying examination with 50% marks in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics and also 50% marks in aggregate of the qualifying examination.
- For B.Planning, the candidates should have passed qualifying examination with 50 % marks in Mathematics and 50% marks in aggregate of the qualifying examination.
Details About the Top 20 Percentile
The percentile score of a candidate shows the score of the candidate with respect to the number of students. The top 20 percentile is submitted by the respective boards to JoSAA at te time of JEE Main counselling for admission in the IIT, NITs, IIITs, CFTIs etc.
The candidates can check the list of top 20 percentile for the years 2019, 2018 and 2017 here.
Question: Is it possible that someone who has not scored 75% (or 65%) appears for JEE Main 2020 and gets a rank in JEE Main 2020, can get admission in any college?
Answer: Perhaps yes! 75% (65%) minimum marks requirement is only for admission to institutes such as IITs, NITs, IIITs, CFTIs. If there is a college which does not fall under any of those and is accepting admission through JEE Main 2020 ranks even for students whose marks are less than 75% (65%), then perhaps yes. The official information brochure states that “The policy as above may probably be adopted by other Technical Institutions participating in counseling through JoSAA/CSAB. In case a State opts to admit students in the engineering Colleges affiliated to state Universities, the State may prepare separate rank list based on criteria decided by them.”
To get fastest exam alerts and government job alerts in India, join our Telegram channel.