CBSE has defined JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2018. The eligibility criteria of JEE Main 2018 are set norms which the candidates must satisfy in order to appear for the exam. The criteria are concerned with Age Limit, Education Qualification, Number of Attempts, etc. Also, it is advised to students to ensure that they fulfill the eligibility conditions before proceeding to apply for JEE Main 2018. The registration can be done from December 01 to January 01, 2018. The JEE (Main) will also act as an eligibility test for the Advanced, which the candidate has to take if he/she is aspiring for admission to the undergraduate programmes offered by the IITs. Candidates can check all the details about JEE Main 2018 Eligibility Criteria in the article below.
JEE Main 2018 Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for JEE Main 2018 is limited to Age Limit, Education Qualification, Number of Attempts, and Qualifying Examination. However, there is a separate specific JEE Main Eligibility Criteria for NIT, IIITs, SFIs and CFTIs Admissions. The candidates should know and ensure these criteria as well because, during JoSAA counseling, the seat will only be allocated to candidates if it is satisfied.
We will advise that before check the eligibility criteria, the candidates may also check the below mentioned important dates.
|Submitting the application form||01 Dec 2017 to 01 Jan 2018|
|Admit card issuance||2nd week of March 2018|
|JEE Main 2018 Offline Exam||08 Apr 2018|
|Online JEE Main 2018||15 and 16 Apr 2018|
|Result announcement for Paper 1||30 Apr 2018|
|Result announcement for Paper 2||31 May 2018|
Parameters for JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2018
The candidates are required to ensure following the parameters in order to appear for the examination.
Age Limit to Appear in JEE Main 2018 –
- Candidates should have been born on or after October 1, 1993, shall be eligible for JEE Main 2018
- Age Relaxation: For SC, ST, PWD candidates, the age relaxation of 5 years is applicable
Note: The date of birth will be considered as mentioned on the Secondary Education Board/University certificate.
Year of Passing the Qualifying Examination –
- The candidates should have appeared for Qualifying Examination in 2016 or 2017.
- Candidates who will be appearing for the final exam in the year 2018 are also eligible but they need to submit the certificates before the due date.
- If a candidate did not pass the Qualifying Examination in the year 2015 but passed in 2016 is not eligible.
Subjects in Qualifying Examination (QE) –
- In Qualifying Exam, the candidate must have studied at least 5 subjects.
Number of Attempts in JEE Main –
- Each candidate can appear for JEE Main only 3 times.
Age Limit and Number of Attempts for Candidates from Madhya Pradesh, Nagaland, and Odisha –
- Candidates should note that these states joined JEE Main system in the year 2014. Hence, the institutes in these states will grant admission as per the past practice only. The age limit and attempts will be as it used to be. Despite it, candidates should note that it will not be applicable for IITs / NITs / IIITs / CFTIs admission.
JEE Main Eligibility Criteria for NITs, IIITs, and CFTIs, SFIs, State Engineering Colleges Admissions
Any candidate satisfying the criteria above is eligible to appear for JEE Main 2018. However, to get admission through JoSSA counselling in NITs, IIITs, and GFTIs the candidates will have to satisfy the eligibility criteria mentioned below:
Qualifying JEE Main 2018 –
- The candidates will only be granted admission if they will qualify JEE Main 2018.
- Previous year JEE scores will not be considered.
Subjects in Qualifying Exam –
The Subject combination in Qualifying Exam (10+2 / equivalent) for Paper 1 and 2 should be:
|Course||JEE Main 2018 Paper to be Qualified||Subjects Required in QE|
|B.E / B.Tech||Paper 1||Physics, Mathematics with Chemistry / Biology / Biotechnology / Technical Vocational subjects|
|B.Arch / B.Planning||Paper 2||Mathematics|
Either 75% or Among Top 20 Percentile in Qualifying Exam –
- Candidates should have secured either 75% in Qualifying Examination or should be among Top 20 Percentile of respective School Board.
- For the SC / ST candidates, the minimum marks percentage in Qualifying Examination is 65%. However, the Top 20 percentile criteria remain the same.
Details About the Top 20 Percentile
The percentile score of a candidate shows the score of the candidate with respect to the number of students.
For Example, A student has scored 50% on the exam and there are 2218 candidates, who have scored less than the candidate, i.e., less than 50%:
2218 x 100 = 16.18
Here, the percentile score of the candidate from the exam is 16.18 while his/her percentage in the exam is 50%.
Question: Is it possible that someone who has not 75% (or 65%) appears for JEE Main 2018 and gets a rank, can get admission in a college that accepts students who have less than 75%?
Answer: Perhaps yes! 75% (65%) minimum marks requirement is only for admission to institutes such as IITs, NITs, IIITs, CFTIs. If there is a college which does not fall under any of those and is accepting admission through JEE Main 2018 ranks even for students whose marks are less than 75% (65%), then perhaps yes. The official information brochure states that “The policy as above may probably be adopted by other Technical Institutions participating in counseling through JoSAA/CSAB. In case a State opts to admit students in the engineering Colleges affiliated to state Universities, the State may prepare separate rank list based on criteria decided by them.”
You can ask all your questions on JEE Main 2018 Eligibility Criteria at discussion forum.
Subjects in the Qualifying Examination –
Though the basics subjects are Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics but the combination of subjects which will be used to evaluate the Top 20 percentile are as below:
For BE / B.Tech Courses
- In addition to any one of the following from Chemistry, Biology, Biotechnology, Technical vocational subject
- Any other subject
For B.Arch / B.Planning Courses
- Mathematics subject along with required percentage of marks in total including five subjects
List of Qualifying Examinations
To be eligible for JEE Main 2018, the students should qualify for any of the following exams as given below
- Class 12 board exam which any recognized central/ state Board conducts; such as CBSE, ISCE.
- Intermediate or two-year Pre-University examination which a recognized Board/ University holds.
- The final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defence Academy.
- National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) Senior Secondary School Examination with a minimum of five subjects.
- Any Public School/ University/ Board examination in India or in any foreign country which the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) recognizes as equivalent to the 12th standard.
List of Qualifying Examination Recognised by IITs
There are certain qualifying exams which only IITs recognize:-
- H.S.C. vocational examination.
- A Diploma which AICTE recognizes or a state board of technical education of at least 3-year duration.
- General Certificate Education (GCE) examination (London / Cambridge / Sri Lanka) at the Advanced (A) level.
- High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva.
- If the relevant qualifying examination is not a public examination, then the student should have passed at least one public either Board or Pre-University examination at an earlier level.
Books recommended for JEE Main
|14 Years’ Solved Paper JEE Main||Buy Online|
|New Pattern Mathematics – A master practice book for JEE Main and Advanced||Buy Online|
|Understanding Physics for JEE Main and Advanced Waves and Thermodynamics||Buy Online|
|Organic Chemistry for Joint Entrance Examination||Buy Online|
|Wiley’s Solomons & Fryhle’s Organic Chemistry for JEE (Main and Advanced)||Buy Online|
|38 Years’ Chapterwise Topicwise Solved Papers IIT JEE Physics||Buy Online|
|38 Years’ Chapterwise Topicwise Solved Papers IIT JEE Mathematics||Buy Online|
|38 Years’ Chapterwise Topicwise Solved Papers IIT JEE Chemistry||Buy Online|
If you have any other queries regarding JEE Main 2018 eligibility criteria, please ask in the comments below.