|Manipal University||Apply Now for MU OET|
|SRM University||Apply Now for SRMJEEE|
|JEE Main 2018 Exam Date, Eligibility, Exam Pattern.||Get All Details Here|
JEE Main 2018 Eligibility Criteria is a set of rules/norms which define the requirements for the exam such as Date of Birth, educational qualification, number of attempts in the qualifying examination, age limit, etc. Also, it is advised to students to ensure that they fulfill the eligibility conditions before proceeding to apply for JEE Main 2018. The JEE Main Eligibility Criteria is laid down by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE).The JEE (Main) will also act as an eligibility test for the Advanced, which the candidate has to take if he/she is aspiring for admission to the undergraduate programmes offered by the IITs. Candidates can check all the details about JEE Main 2018 Eligibility Criteria in the article below.
JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2018
In addition, from last year onwards, the class 12th marks weightage for merit calculation has been eradicated and the marks will now be used as eligibility criteria to participate in JoSAA counseling. Furthermore, according to the eligibility criteria of JEE Main 2018, candidates will be deemed to be eligible for the counseling on the basis of the parameters, as mentioned below.
- Age Limit
- Qualifying Examination (QE)
- Year of appearance in Qualifying Examination (QE)
- Subjects in the Qualifying Examination (QE)
- Number of attempts in the Qualifying Examination (QE)
Parameters for JEE Main Eligibility Criteria
The candidates can check the parameters as below:
|Criteria||Eligibility for Appearing in JEE (Main) – 2018|
|Age||Must have been born on or after October 1, 1993
(relaxed by 5 years for SC, ST, PWD)
|Marks in qualifying examination||At least 75% marks in class 12 exam or be in top 20 percentile in the respective board|
|Subject combination||Number of subjects in class 12th is 5. Out of these core subjects should be Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry|
|Number of attempts||Each candidate will get only 3 attempts|
|Year of passing qualifying examination||Student must have either passed class 12 / qualifying exam in the year 2016 or 2017 or is appearing in 2018|
Age Limit to Appear in JEE Main 2018
- Candidates who have been born on or after October 1, 1993, shall be eligible for JEE Main 2018
- Age Relaxation: For SC, ST, PWD candidates, the age relaxation shall be up to 5 years.
Marks in the Qualifying Examination
For students to qualify for admission in NITs / IIITs and CFTIs, they must have secured at least 75% marks in the 12th exam or should be among the Top 20 percentile in the respective School Board examination. Whereas, for SC / ST students the qualifying marks would be 65% or Top 20 Percentile in the 12th class exam.
About the Top 20 Percentile
The percentile score of a candidate shows the score of the candidate with respect to the number of students.
For Example, A student has scored 50% on the exam and there are 2218 candidates, who have scored less than the candidate, i.e., less than 50%:
2218 x 100 = 16.18
Here, the percentile score of the candidate from the exam is 16.18 while his/her percentage in the exam is 50%.
Question: Is it possible that someone who has not 75% (or 65%) appears for JEE Main 2018 and gets a rank, can get admission in a college that accepts students who have less than 75%?
Answer: Perhaps yes! 75% (65%) minimum marks requirement is only for admission to institutes such as IITs, NITs, IIITs, CFTIs. If there is a college which does not fall under any of those and is accepting admission through JEE Main 2018 ranks even for students whose marks are less than 75% (65%), then perhaps yes. The official information brochure states that “The policy as above may probably be adopted by other Technical Institutions participating in counseling through JoSAA/CSAB. In case a State opts to admit students in the engineering Colleges affiliated to state Universities, the State may prepare separate rank list based on criteria decided by them.”
You can ask all your questions on JEE Main 2018 Eligibility Criteria at discussion forum.
Subjects in the Qualifying Examination
Though the basics subjects are Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics but the combination of subjects in the qualifying examination for admission to various undergraduate programs for JEE Main 2018 is as below:
For BE / B.Tech Courses
- In addition to any one of the following from Chemistry, Biology, Biotechnology, Technical vocational subject
- Any other subject
For B.Arch / B.Planning Courses
- Mathematics subject along with required percentage of marks in total including five subjects
Number of Attempts for JEE Mains 2018
The number of attempts which a candidate can avail at JEE (Main) is up to 03 (three).
Number of Attempts and Age Limit for the states of Madhya Pradesh and Odisha
Since 2017. some states such as Madhya Pradesh, Nagaland, and Odisha joined the JEE Main exam system. The eligibility conditions such as the age limit and number of attempts will be as per their past practices. However, this will not be applicable for admission to the IITs/ NITs/ IIITs/ GFTIs.
List of Qualifying Examinations
To be eligible for JEE Main 2018, the students should qualify for any of the following exams as given below
- Class 12 board exam which any recognized central/ state Board conducts; such as CBSE, ISCE.
- Intermediate or two-year Pre-University examination which a recognized Board/ University holds.
- The final examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defence Academy.
- National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) Senior Secondary School Examination with a minimum of five subjects.
- Any Public School/ University/ Board examination in India or in any foreign country which the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) recognizes as equivalent to the 12th standard.
List of Qualifying Examination Recognised by IITs
There are certain qualifying exams which only IITs recognize:-
- H.S.C. vocational examination.
- A Diploma which AICTE recognizes or a state board of technical education of at least 3-year duration.
- General Certificate Education (GCE) examination (London / Cambridge / Sri Lanka) at the Advanced (A) level.
- High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva.
- If the relevant qualifying examination is not a public examination, then the student should have passed at least one public either Board or Pre-University examination at an earlier level.
Books recommended for JEE Main
|14 Years’ Solved Paper JEE Main||Buy Online|
|New Pattern Mathematics – A master practice book for JEE Main and Advanced||Buy Online|
|Understanding Physics for JEE Main and Advanced Waves and Thermodynamics||Buy Online|
|Organic Chemistry for Joint Entrance Examination||Buy Online|
|Wiley’s Solomons & Fryhle’s Organic Chemistry for JEE (Main and Advanced)||Buy Online|
|38 Years’ Chapterwise Topicwise Solved Papers IIT JEE Physics||Buy Online|
|38 Years’ Chapterwise Topicwise Solved Papers IIT JEE Mathematics||Buy Online|
|38 Years’ Chapterwise Topicwise Solved Papers IIT JEE Chemistry||Buy Online|
If you have any other queries regarding JEE Main 2018 eligibility criteria, please ask in the comments below.