Scheme of examination describes what type of questions would be there and their numbers. It helps preparing for exam when exam pattern is known. You can solve sample papers of JEE Main to train in answering questions of that pattern. Build speed skills to solve that many number of questions in a row in given time. Paper 1 and Paper 2 have separate paper patterns. Also, to improve accuracy, know mistakes you usually mistake. Next time you attempt a similar question, avoid making that mistake. For mathematics, he says that practice is key. Study theory of mathematics topic then solve a few questions on it. To manage time for JEE preparation, utilize free time for preparation. Finally, revision is important to score high in JEE Main.
For JEE Main 2019 – Click here
One question that students have is about books they must study from, for JEE preparation. It is important to study from NCERT to understand theory and clear basics. After studying a topic, solve MCQs on them from books that have MCQs. For mathematics you can go for Arihant Skills in mathematics, A Das Gupta; for Physics you can refer HC Verma, and Irodov; for Chemistry use Paula Bruice, Solomons, JD Lee, Bruce Mahan, Vogel, Peter Sykes, Olympiad papers.
If you have study material from a coaching center you can solve questions from there also. It is advisable to solve previous year IIT JEE question papers also to prepare for Joint Entrance Examination. Level of studies in class 11 is a huge jump from what you studied in class 10. Syllabus seems tough and pressure to excel in JEE adds up. Being stress free is important, where time management plays a role. Try solving a tough book after doing a basic one. Make a study plan and adhere to it to boost confidence. Discuss roadblocks of topics with teachers and mentors. If you are doing self study, then study from JEE Main syllabus alongside school studies.
If weak in class 11 topics and JEE is near, then first thing to do is to revise class 11. Study some topics of class 11 alongwith class 12, do not sacrifice one for other. Allocate few hours in study plan daily to prepare class 11 topics, rest do for class 12. There are some units in class 12 which require good understanding of some unit of class 11. When you come across such topics, revise class 11 unit first.
Students mentally divide themselves among coaching and non-coaching. Experts have said that there is no difference between them; you can do as well with or without coaching, subject to being focused. Study well in school and pay attention there. After coming home, do homework and revise topics. Side by side solve JEE questions on same topic. Refer good books to bridge gap between board studies and JEE. Speed and accuracy are important for JEE Main 2018 preparation. To build speed, solve questions in time limit. To build accuracy check answers and eliminate mistakes, build reading and comprehension speed, be careful in selecting answers. Have your own paper solving plan. You may want to first attempt one liner questions, and then go for calculations; or other way round.
JEE Main Preparation Material
How to Prepare Articles
- How to prepare for JEE Main in two years
- How to prepare for JEE Main with almost 1 year in hand?
- Preparation for JEE Main 2018 in 6 months – Tips for JEE Main
- JEE (Main) and IIT JEE (Advanced) Last Minute Preparation
JEE Main 2018 Preparation Guidelines
With the changes in examination pattern of Joint Entrance Examination, it has become as important to study for your board exams as for engineering entrance exams. Instead of considering only marks scored in the JEE, marks of board exams are also considered under the new normalization rule, the plan needs to be changed when it comes to JEE preparation.
The exam is held in the Online Mode only.
In the JEE Main online exam, each student is assigned a computer in the test center. When the test begins, the questions appear as multiple choice questions. After reading and solving the question, the correct bubble against the answer has to be selected and then the student can click on “Next” button to to move on to the next question. If a student is not familiar with online exams, it will not be very difficult. The student should only know how to click using a mouse and not have difficulty reading on screen questions.
Befriend the NCERT books
Teachers, parents and many other might have already told you to study from NCERT books. However, we advise you to be absolutely thorough with each and every topic and sub topic given in Class 11 NCERT Books and Class 12 NCERT Books of Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
Not only should the theory be understood properly, but each question should be attempted at least once.
Especially in the case of JEE Main Mathematics, a student who can easily solve NCERT Math book miscellaneous exercises can as easily score more than 90% in JEE Main maths.
Refer only a limited number of JEE Main reference books
There are too many books available in the market that claim “Quick course in JEE” or “Best book for JEE Main” and so on. You must identify one – two books only and stick to them. Using too many books will only confuse you and slow down your preparation.
Use one book for theory, one for practice.
It is best to refer book by a good author/authors to study and understand concept, and use another book to solve practice problems for JEE Main.
Always practice questions simultaneously. While studying, you may think you have understood everything perfectly, but only when you attempt questions can you actually analyze where your understanding is weak and needs to be done again. If you finish one chapter, the next day attempt at least 20-30 questions of that. If you can answer correctly at least 95% of all the questions you attempt, you can move on to the next chapter. If not, focus on the areas you are getting wrong.
Do not hide from the weak areas
Every student has at least 5-10 topics he / she feels are very tough and cannot be done at all. Remember, it is as important to study those areas as it is do the others. You can never be sure whether a question in JEE Main will come from that topic or not.
JEE Main Syllabus
|Physics and measurement||Physical chemistry||Sets, relations and functions|
|Kinematics||Some basic concepts in chemistry||Complex numbers and quadratic equations|
|Laws of motion||States of matter||Matrices and determinants|
|Work, energy and power||Atomic structure||Permutations and combinations|
|Rotational motion||Chemical bonding and molecular structure||Mathematical induction|
|Gravitation||Chemical thermodynamics||Binomial theorem and its simple applications|
|Properties of solids and liquids||Solutions||Sequences and series|
|Thermodynamics||Equilibrium||Limit, continuity and differentiability|
|Kinetic theory of gases||Redox reactions and electrochemistry||Integral calculus|
|Oscillations and waves||Chemical kinetics||Differential equations|
|Electrostatics||Surface chemistry||Co-ordinate geometry|
|Current electricity||Inorganic chemistry||Three dimensional geometry|
|Magnetic effects of current and magnetism||Classificaton of elements and periodicity in properties||Vector algebra|
|Electromagnetic induction and alternating currents||General principles and processes of isolation of metals||Statistics and probability|
|Optics||S – block elements (alkali and alkaline earth metals)||Mathematical reasoning|
|Dual nature of matter and radiation||P – block elements|
|Atoms and nuclei||D – and f – block elements|
|Electronic devices||Co-ordination compounds|
|Communication systems||Environmental chemistry|
|Experimental skills||Organic chemistry|
|Purification and characterisation of organic compounds|
|Some basic principles of organic chemistry|
|Organic compounds containing halogens|
|Organic compounds containing oxygen|
|Organic compounds containing nitrogen|
|Chemistry in everyday life|
|Principles related to practical chemistry|
Click Here to View / Download Complete JEE Main Syllabus
JEE Main Preparation Tips to study for Class 11 and 12 Students.
- After you have studied all the topics relevant to class 11, make a list of topics you are weak in. Before class 12 classes begin, revise them thoroughly and master them! If you keep them for the end, just before the exam, it will be difficult for you to study them.
- Maintain notes of important topics. This is very important because a few weeks before the exam, you will want to go through each chapter, but time will be limited. At such time, your notes will come in handy. You can refer to important formulae, short cut methods and other things that will help you in the exam.
- Do not procrastinate! Each day is important when it comes to cracking important engineering entrance exams. You need to give it your best shot.
- Time management is very important. Make sure you divide your time well between school, tuition / coaching classes (if any), exercise and entertainment.
- For class 12 students, it has to be kept in mind that you have to score high in board exams also. Thus, do not take your school exams lightly as the sessional assessments may reflect what you will actually score in the final exam.
Tips to prepare for JEE Main
- While studying, make sure there are no distractions like phone, television or other things.
- After each chapter, solve a wide range of questions.
- If you cannot study for long hours, take constructive breaks. Like going outside to play; physical activity also helps in keeping you fit and give a restful sleep.
- Do not stress yourself. If you are getting nervous while studying, take a deep breath and remind yourself that Everything is possible!
- Take notes while studying.
- If there are difficult chapters or topics, ask a teacher to explain it to you. Then study again and practice questions.
- Take JEE Main mock tests.
- And most important – Do not give up!