GATE 2019 – Registration has started at GOAPS gate.iitm.ac.in from September 1, 2018. Last date to apply online is September 21, 2018 without late fee, and October 1, 2018 is last date to apply with late fee. Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is national level entrance exam for admission to M.Tech / PhD programs in IITs, IISc, NITs, IIITs, CFTIs and several government engineering colleges. Organising institute IIT Madras is responsible for conduct of exam at cities in India and abroad. Get here complete details of GATE 2019 including official website, notification, application form, exam date, registration, admit card, result.
Important dates of GATE 2019 have been announced by IIT Madras. Candidates appearing in exam this year can note all dates from table below and act as per it.
|GATE 2019||Important Dates|
|GATE 2019 Registration Starts||01 Sep 2018|
|Last Date To Apply Online Without Late Fee||21 Sep 2018|
|Last Date To Apply Online With Late Fee||01 Oct 2018|
|Exam Centre Change Request To Be Accepted Until||16 Nov 2018|
|Download Admit Card||04 Jan 2019|
|Exam Date||2, 3, 9, 10 Feb 2019|
|GATE Result 2019 Declaration||16 March 2019|
|Downoad Scorecard||20 Mar – 31 May 2019|
Other dates such as for GATE 2019 application form correction, answer key release will be updated as per announcements by organizing institute.
Significance Of GATE Exam
Graduate Aptitude Test In Engineering is necessary for admission and/or financial assistance to following programs in institutions supported by MHRD and other Government agencies
- Master’s programs in Engineering / Technology / Architecture
- Direct Doctoral programs in Engineering / Technology / Architecture
In addition, many Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) use GATE score in their recruitment process.
GATE 2019 Subject Papers
There are a total of 24 subject papers of GATE exam. They are as follows.
|Subject Paper||Code||Subject Paper||Code|
|Aerospace Engineering||AE||Instrumentation Engineering||IN|
|Architecture and Planning||AR||Mechanical Engineering||ME|
|Civil Engineering||CE||Metallurgical Engineering||MT|
|Chemical Engineering||CH||Petroleum Engineering||PE|
|Computer Science and Information Technology||CS||Physics||PH|
|Chemistry||CY||Production and Industrial Engineering||PI|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||EC||Statistics (NEW SUBJECT PAPER)||ST|
|Electrical Engineering||EE||Textile Engineering and Fibre Science||TF|
|Ecology and Evolution||EY||Engineering Sciences||XE*|
|Geology and Geophysics||GG||Life Sciences||XL**|
GATE 2019 Registration
Registration process is online at GOAPS (appsgate.iitm.ac.in). Candidates have to register online within above-mentioned dates. Key details of registration are as follows.
- Visit GOAPS or click on application form link.
- Click register here button.
- Do initial registration by filling name, email ID, country of residence, mobile number, password.
- Submit it.
- Check email and SMS for enrolment ID.
- Login at GOAPS or GATE 2019 Login using enrolment ID and password.
- Enter exam details, personal details, qualifying degree details.
- Upload documents including photo, signature, eligibility document, category certificate.
- Pay application fee using credit card / debit card / UPI / net banking.
- Download and print form.
Eligibility Documents Required for GATE 2019 Registration
|If candidate has passed qualifying exam in 2018, then he/she has to upload degree certificate/provisional certificate/course completion certificate/professional certificate/membership certificate issued by the institute or society.||If candidate is going to complete qualifying exam by year mentioned in eligibility criteria, then he/she has to submit Certificate from the Head of the Department/Institute (in the format given in Appendix A of information brochure) or a copy of marksheet for Section A of AMIE. This certificate must mandatorily have the signature and seal of the Head of Institute/Department with current date.|
Photo and Signature Specifications for GATE 2019 Registration
GATE 2019 Eligibility Criteria
IITs/IISc have laid down few eligibility criteria. Candidates who satisfy them only should apply. Get here complete GATE 2019 eligibility criteria in terms of qualifying degree, year of qualification, and other details.
Educational Qualification and Qualifying Year
There is no age limit to appear in GATE 2019.
Important note: Candidates can opt for only 1 paper. They must appear in subject paper that is appropriate to their discipline in qualifying degree. There is no bar on appearing in any paper, however you should check what the eligibility criteria is of institute where you want admission, or organization where you want recruitment.
GATE 2019 Admit Card
IIT M will issue GATE 2019 Admit Card to registered candidates. Important facts to know about it are given below.
- Admit card can be downloaded at GOAPS only. Candidates can download it by entering enrollment id / email ID and password.
- Candidates must bring print out of admit card to exam centre on day of exam.
- In addition to admit card, they should also bring original and valid photo identity document specified during registration. This can be passport, pan card, voter id, aadhaar-uid, college id, employee id and driving license.
- GATE 2019 Admit Card is considered valid only if it clearly shows photograph and signature.
- It is recommended to print admit card, also known as hall ticket, on an A4 size white sheet using laser printer, preferably color.
GATE 2019 Exam Pattern
Exam pattern is remaining same as last year. Also syllabus of GATE 2019 is not changing. Candidates appearing in Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering can note exam pattern here and prepare according to it.
- Number of questions: 65
- Maximum marks: 100
- Duration: 3 hours
- Mode of exam: Computer based test
- Format of questions: multiple choice questions (MCQs), numerical answer type (NATs).
- Types of questions: recall (based on facts), application (computation and logical reasoning).
|Marks||Negative marking||Marks||Negative marking|
|1||1/3||1||No negative marking|
Distribution of questions
|Topic||AE, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, EC, EE, IN, ME, MN, MT, PE, PI, TR, XE||AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH, ST, XL|
|General Aptitude (GA)||15 marks||15 marks|
|Engineering Mathematics||15 marks||–|
|Subject||70 marks||85 marks|
GATE 2019 Exam Centres and Cities
GATE is being organized in all major cities in India. All the exam centres will fall under any one of the 9 zones, in which IITs/IISc have divided them. Check the complete list below.
Candidates can choose 3 cities during registration. Finally assigned name of centre will be conveyed through admit card.
GATE 2019 Candidate Responses
Candidate responses refers to answers filled by test takers in computer based test, and display thereof. All test takers can check answers filled by them during GATE 2019 candidate response checking window.
GATE 2019 Answer Key
Answer keys are issued for all 24 papers. Candidates can check GATE 2019 answer keys after exam to know correct answers of questions. Key details regarding it are as follows.
- Since exam is online, test takers do not have question paper in hand. Therefore IITs release GATE 2019 question paper also along with answer keys.
- Candidates can download all question papers and answer keys from gate.iitm.ac.in.
- Candidates can also submit challenges against answer keys within window provided for it. They also have to pay a fee for it.
GATE 2019 Result
First, calculation of raw score of candidates happens on basis of final answer keys. Then normalization is implemented for subject papers that were held in multiple session. Highlights of GATE 2019 Result are like this.
- Declaration of GATE 2019 Result is at GOAPS (appsgate.iitm.ac.in).
- Candidates have to login with enrollment ID / email ID and password to check result.
- Only qualified candidates can download score card. So they can login to download score card for admission and recruitment purpose.
- GATE score will be valid for 3 years.
GATE Score calculation is as per following formula.
Normalized marks are calculated as per formula below.
Candidates who have appeared in GATE 2019 and require scorecard after 31 May 2019 till 31 December 2019 can obtain it by paying Rs 500.
Best books to prepare for GATE 2019
Knowing the best books for preparation is winning half the battle! Many students face confusion on this aspect of exam. They either tend to get too many books or too few or not ideal ones. Therefore to pull you out of that worry, here we list best books for preparation. However this list is pretty big as there are 24 subjects. And each subject paper has a different recommendation list. First, let us tell you how this list was formed.
Features of a good book for GATE exam are:
- It should be simple to understand.
- Concepts presentation should be accurate and clear.
- Explanation of concepts ought to be crisp and student friendly.
- Diagrams, explanations should accompany concepts to ease application of concepts.
Get complete list of good books here.
GATE 2019 FAQs
Some of the most frequently asked questions on GATE exam, along with their answers are given below.
Qs. How to get scholarship / assistantship on basis of GATE 2019?
Ans. Candidates need to first appear and qualify in GATE 2019. Then they must get admission in a program in any one central government supported college or university. Admission process may involve at least 70% weightage to GATE score and rest to other processes like test and interviews. Institute is ultimately responsible for management of post-graduate scholarship/assistantship. Therefore candidates must get in touch with institute directly about this and be aware of its details before applying.
Qs. How to use GATE score for PSU recruitment?
Ans. Using GATE score, candidates need to apply to PSUs. PSUs have a separate application process. Some PSUs that usually recruit through GATE are Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL), Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL), Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL), National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC), Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL), Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) and Power Grid Corporation of India (PGCI).
Qs. What other government jobs are available through GATE 2019?
Ans. A few other government jobs are usually available to posts of Group A level posts in Central government, i.e., Senior Field Officer (Tele), Senior Research Officer (Crypto) and Senior Research Officer (S&T) in Cabinet Secretariat, Government of India.
For more information about GATE 2019: Download information brochure