IIST or the Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology is an Institute with affiliation to ISRO(Indian Space Research Organisation and Department of Space). IIST 2019 offers both UG and PG courses, while also providing a dual degree program. IIST 2019 admissions are based upon the ranking of a candidate in the IIT-JEE examination. IIST is situated in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. This Institution provides ample opportunities for students, who are interested in modern technology, space exploration missions and the advancements in science as whole. In the long-term plan, a student can also work for the ISRO and be a part of an advance organisation. All the information regarding the admissions in the Institute will be made available here.
IIST Admission 2019
IIST is a coveted institute for the students interested in the field of Aerospace. Its reputation has steadily increased with the passing time and the number of applications continues to rise every year. IIST institute works in collaboration with the Department of Space and Indian Space Research Organisation, students also have a chance to be ‘’absorbed’’ i.e. recruited by the ISRO through this Institute.
Here is the complete schedule for the IIST 2019 Admission-
|Release of Admission Brochure||07 May 2019|
|Opening of Online Registration||22 May 2019|
|Closing of Offline Registration||05 Jun 2019|
Courses Offered in IIST 2019
Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology offers multiple courses related to engineering in aerospace science and technology. The Undergraduate program offers three courses, out of which one is a dual degree course, the students will have an option to make a choice among these branches. Here is the list of the courses-
Undergraduate Program Courses-
- B.Tech in Aerospace Engineering(4 years)
- B.Tech in Electronics & Communication Engineering(4 years)
- Dual Degree-B.Tech and M.Sc/M.Tech(5 years)
- M.Tech in Astronomy and Astrophysics
- M.Tech in Solid State Physics
- M.Tech in Earth System Science
- M.Tech in Optical Engineering
Eligibility Criteria for IIST 2019
Admissions for IIST are available for both UG and PG courses. Below is the eligibility criteria for the Undergraduate students-
- The candidate should be a citizen of India.
- The candidate belonging to OBC or the General category must be born on or after October 1, 1994. In case of SC/ST, the candidate must be born on or after October 1, 1989.
- The students must have secured 75% as the aggregate in five subjects during the XII examinations. Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics are the compulsory subjects while the other two subjects include a language and the subject with the highest marks among the remaining ones.
- The candidate must appear for the JEE-Advanced exams, and the candidate must fulfill the following requirements-
- General Students should at least score 20% of the total marks in aggregate and at least 5% in each of the three core subjects, i.e. Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics
- OBC students should at least score 18% of the total marks in aggregate and at least 4.5% in each of the three core subjects.
- SC/ST students should at least score 10% of the total marks in aggregate and at least 2.5% in each of the three core subjects.
IIST 2019 Application Procedure
The registration for IIST will be done through only the online mode. The candidate should go through the eligibility criteria thoroughly before registering themselves and applying online. They should also make sure they read the instructions given in the registration form carefully. Following is the registration procedure for IIST 2019-
- Go to the online application portal admission.iist.ac.in.
- Fill the details in the form provided in the link as per the instructions.
- IIST Registration No. and a Password will be generated.
- After completing the registration, pay the fees using the SBI-COLLECT.
Application Fee-The Application fee will be charged according to different categories under the SBI-COLLECT gateway. Below is the list of the Application Fee
|Male candidates in GEN and OBC-NCL||Rs.600|
|Female candidates in GEN and OBC-NCL||Rs.300|
Seat-Allotment and Branch Choice
If the name of the candidate appears in the rank-list released by the IIST based upon the JEE-Advanced marks then the candidate will be given a ‘’choice-filling’’ form. This choice-filling form determines in which branch will the student ultimately end up. Below is the procedure for this task-
- Go to the admission portal of the Institute,i.e. Admission.iist.ac.in
- Log-in using your Registration No. and password
- Choose the branch of your preference
- A student can either list all the branches in the preference order but it is not compulsory to list all the branches in an order
A candidate can’t affix a seat if an allotment is made in the second or third choice if the candidate accepts the given allotment and there is a vacancy in the first choice then the candidate will automatically ‘slide up’ and get that branch. If a seat isn’t accepted in any round then the candidate’s name will be vanquished from the list, so one has to be cautious during the allotment process and while filling up the choices. After completing the seat-allotment process-
- The candidate has to pay a fee of ₹48,400 online for the First Semester before the due date
- Has to upload the scanned images of all mark sheets and certificates before the given date
- Has to report in any of the specified 15 ISRO centres for the verification of original mark sheets/certificates.
IIST provide seats across three of its courses and the seats are assigned to students as per their choices and the number of available vacancies. Below is the seat matrix for the UG program in IIST-
|Course||Number of Seats|
|4-year BTech in Aerospace Engineering||60|
|4-year BTech in Avionics||60|
|5-Year Dual Degree(B.Tech and MTech/MSc)||20|
The admissions for IIST will be done on the basis of the aggregated marks scored by a candidate in the JEE-Advanced Examination 2019. The Admission Procedure will also totally done through the online portal of the Institute and one should be careful while making the choices related to the branches. Below is the complete procedure for admission in IIST-
- The names of candidates who completed the entire registration process will be displayed rank-wise on the website of IIST
- The ranks will be based on the JEE-Advanced 2019 aggregate scores.
- If there is a tie-breaker in terms of the aggregate score, the candidate with the higher marks in Mathematics will move up in the rankings
- If there is a tie-breaker again, then the candidate who scored higher marks in Physics will get the higher ranking
- If the tie still exists then the candidate whose rank was higher in the JEE Mains 2019 will be ranked higher.
Fee Structure and Scholarship
A student has to pay the fee every semester, the first-semester fee can only be paid online after the seats are allocated. Students who perform well can also avail certain fee benefits in the subsequent semesters. Following is the fee structure-
|Student Amenity Fee||4,000|
Students can also avail certain scholarships based on their performances. The scholarships are divided in the following sections-
- General and OBC Students can get a refund of their fee by the end of the semester if they secure CGPA of 7.5 or more.
- SC/ST can avail similar refunds if they score a CGPA of 6.5 or more. They will get a refund of 20000 if their CGPA is between 5.5-6.5
Official website: www.iist.ac.in