|Exam||Last Date||Apply Now|
|CAT||25 Sep 2017||Click Here|
|SNAP||24 Nov 2017||Click Here|
|NMAT||03 Oct 2017||Click Here|
|XAT||30 Nov 2017||Click Here|
IIT Roorkee has released a notification for admission to full time/ part time Ph.D. programmes for Spring Semester of the session 2017-18 in all the departments and centers of the institute. Eligible & Interested candidates can read all the necessary details regarding IIT Roorkee Ph.D (Spring Semester) Admission 2017 such as how to apply online, eligibility criteria, fee and selection process on this page.
IIT Roorkee Ph.D Admission 2017 – Spring Semester
IIT Roorkee Ph.D Admission 2017 registration process has been started as per the schedule for admission to full time/ part time Ph.D. programmes for Spring semester for the session 2017-18, candidates who are seeking admission to Ph.D. programmes should fill and submit the application before the last date. Candidates can avail the ongoing online application facilities to get themselves enrolled for Ph.D Admission 2017 at IIT Roorkee.
Schedule for IIT Roorkee Ph.D Admission 2017 for Spring Semester is given below.
|Start of filling up of online application form||13 Sep 2017|
|Last date for filling up the online application form||26 Sep 2017|
|Last date for deposit of application fee online||26 Sep 2017|
|Last date for receipt of completed forms in PG admission office||29 Sep 2017|
IIT Roorkee has issued an application form for full time/part time Ph.D. programmes for Spring Semester of the session 2017-18 in all the departments and centers of the institute. Candidates can now apply on the official website of IIT Roorkee or by a direct link which is given below.
- For Gen/OBC Candidates: Rs. 200/-
- for SC/ST/PD category candidates: and Rs. 100/-
How to apply
The candidate is required to register and fill the application online on or before the last date from the official website or apply online link given above.
Before applying, candidates are advised to read the all the details carefully. Candidates must follow the following Steps while applying online application form.
Step 1: Apply for Ph.D. programmes
- Apply online
- Finalize Application Form
- Download application form and bank challan simultaneously (Take a print out of the entire file on A4 size white sheets).
Step 2: Deposit of Fee
- Deposit the requisite fee of Rs. 200/ for Gen/OBC and Rs. 100/ for SC/ST/PD category candidates in any branch of State Bank of India throughout the country through downloaded bank challan form on the next working day of finalization of online application or before 27.02.2017. (Bank Service Charges of Rs. 40/ will be extra).
Separate fee will be deposit for each department/centre.
- Bank will retain a copy and will return two copies to you. Out of these two copies, retain the Candidate’s copy with you and attach the IITR’s copy with the application form.
Note: The fee will not be accepted through any other mode.
Step 3: Paste your recent photograph (3.5 cm X 3.5 cm) at the designated place. Sign at the designated place.
Step 4: Post/Submission
Before sending your application form, make sure that, in addition to the above other relevant documents as indicated below are attached:
- GATE/NET Certificate
- Copies of all the mark sheets, degree certificates, or provisional certificate if they have passed their qualifying degree.
- Copy of OBC/SC/ST/PD category certificate if any).
- Copy of experience of two years as on 29 Sept 2017 and NOC from the employer, in case the candidate is sponsored.
Duly filled-in Application form with appropriate enclosures must be sent by Speed Post (preferably) or by Registered Post to PG Admission Office, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, Roorkee – 247667, Uttarakhand so as to reach on or before Sept. 29, 2017. or it can be handed over personally to the PG ADMISSION Office, IIT Roorkee, Roorkee on or before Sept. 29, 2017.
The applicant for admission to the Ph.D. programme shall be classified under any one of the following categories which will be decided and recommended by DRC/CRC.
Full-time Research Student/ Candidate
- Research student/Candidate getting Institute MHRD assistantship.
- Research student/Candidate including foreign nationals getting financial support from Govt. / Semi Govt. agencies (QIP, CSIR, UGC, NET, DAE, DST, DBT, NBHM, ICCR, ICAR, ICMR, GPAT, NDF, INSPIRE etc.).
- Research student/Candidate including foreign nationals supported by a sponsoring organization, the applicant (Sponsored Research Student/ Candidate) having TWO years experience out of which at least ONE year experience with the sponsoring agency at the time of registration for Ph.D Programme.
- Self Financed Research student/ Candidate –
- Foreign :Admission of Foreign nationals to Ph.D. programme will be made as per policy and direction of the Govt. of India from time to time.
- Study Leave : This category refers to persons who are released from governmental or educational institutions on study leave for a period of not less than three years for pursuing Ph.D. programme. They will be admitted along with the regular research students through the usual admission procedure.
- *Research student/candidate regularly working full time in an R & D project at IITR. His Ph.D. topic shall confirm to the project as certified by the SRC
Part-time Research Student/ Candidate:
- Research student/Candidate working as a regular employee in the Institute.
- *Research student / Candidate working regularly full-time in an R&D project in the institute. The project must have tenure of at least next 1½ years at the time of admission.
- Research student/Candidate working in other organizations / institutes, approved by IIT Roorkee as Research Centre or having MoU for research purposes.
*The research student / candidate working in a project will be given full time status, provided his research for Ph.D. is related to the project as certified by the SRC. However, part time research student/candidate may be given full time status when the project tenure is completed.
An applicant belonging to the above admission categories should possess the following qualifications in appropriate areas to be eligible to apply for admission for the Ph.D. programme of the Institute.
- Masters degree or equivalent in respective discipline with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 6.00 on a 10 point scale or equivalent as determined by the Institute wherever letter grades are awarded; or 60% marks in aggregate (of all the years/semesters) where marks are awarded, for the GENERAL (UR) category and qualified national level graduate entrance test: GATE/UGC-NET/CSIR-NET or equivalent or holding a national level fellowship. The condition for national level graduate admission test is not applicable to sponsored full-time and part-time research candidates. or
- B.Tech. / B.Arch. degree or equivalent in respective discipline from CFTIs with excellent academic record (with a minimum CGPA of 7.00 on a 10 point scale or 70% marks) with GATE. Graduates from the IITs getting a CGPA score of 8.00 or above (on scale of 10) would be entitled to the assistantship without having to appear in GATE. or
- The candidates pursuing master’s programs in Engineering or Architecture from IIT Roorkee having CGPA of at least 8.50 on a 10 point scale (after first year/ completing all courses) shall have a choice of internal lateral entry in to Ph.D. programme after completing all requirements of the first two semesters of first year of the Master’s programme.
The admission eligibility requirements may be relaxed to 5.5 on a 10 point scale or equivalent, or to 55% marks to the following categories:
- SC/ST candidates with Master’s degree or equivalent degree.
- Any category of PD (Persons with different abilities) candidate holding Master’s degree or equivalent degree.
Note: Candidates belonging to OBC category must submit Xeroxed copy of category certificate as per GOI, the format of the same is also available on the Institute website, OBC Non-creamy layer certificate should have been issued after 31.03.2017 by a competent authority.
Eligibility for Part-time Ph.D.
- The applicant possesses the minimum entry qualifications for the degree as given above.
- The applicant proves that his official duties permit him to devote sufficient time to research.
- He / She will be required to reside at the Institute for a period till he/she is admitted for candidacy. (This condition of minimum residency period will be automatically waived for candidates who are working in Roorkee or in Organizations / Institutions located within a distance of 100 km from the Institute).
- The facility of part time registration will also be available to all employees of the IIT Roorkee or candidates working in organizations having MoU with IITR or organizations approved by IIT Roorkee as Research Centres. Such applicants are exempted from the requirement of having GATE/NET/GPAT.
- The applicants must have been in continuous service with the sponsoring organization for at least two years at the time of registration for admission.
- The candidates working in Institute/ University awarding Ph.D degree itself are not eligible for admission as part-time or fulltime candidate, if facilities are not available except QIP candidates.
Employee seeking admission to the Ph.D. programme with minimum of two years service in an organization or confirmed regular employee shall submit ‘No Objection Certificate’ from the employer to the effect that the duties allotted by the employer will allow the required time for this pursuit.
The candidate seeking admission to Ph.D. programme as project fellow (JRF/SRF) either as full-time or part-time research scholar, shall be allowed to register for Ph.D. in the beginning of the next semester, if the candidate is selected in project as project fellow through proper selection, i.e, proper advertisement of project fellowship and selection by the committee constituted as per Institute rules. The candidate shall register with the PI as supervisor. If the candidate is not selected in project through proper advertisement or the candidate wants to switch over to MHRD assistance, he/she has to appear for Ph.D selection along with other candidates provided he/she has ‘No-Objection Certificate’ from the PI.
The project fellows shall be allowed to register for Ph.D. only if the remaining period of the project is at least 1½ years at the time of admission. These candidates are also eligible for MHRD assistantship for a maximum period of TWO years once their project is completed provided the essential qualifications for MHRD assistantships are met. The candidate has to apply for MHRD assistantship through SRC.
Eligibility for Foreign Nationals
- The applicant possesses the minimum entry qualifications for the degree as given above.
- Foreign nationals seeking admission to Ph.D. programmes should apply through the Govt. of India, if they wish to come through any Govt. supported programmes or under Cultural Exchange Programmes, or through Educational Consultants (India) Ltd., New Delhi. They may seek necessary help from the Indian Embassy in their country or their Embassy in India. In addition to these avenues, a provision of direct admission for Non-Resident Indians (NRI’s) and selffinancing Foreign National candidates exists for Ph.D. degree programmes.
- Foreign nationals are required to undergo medical examination as per medical rules of the Ministry of Human Resource Development, and have to undergo test for HIV at NICD, Delhi within one month of their admission. The admission of foreign nationals would be confirmed only after medical examination and the receipt of the test report regarding HIV.
- Foreign nationals will be admitted only after obtaining the clearance from the Govt. of India. Foreign candidates having student’s/provisional student’s visa only are eligible for admission.
For NRI and Self Financing Foreign Nationals
- Non-Resident Indian (NRI) nationals residing and studying abroad and self-financing, non-sponsored foreign nationals who are interested in obtaining admission are eligible for admission subject to medical and Government clearances.
- Foreign candidates including NRI and Self Financing Foreign nationals must have fulfilled the following.
- Qualifications equivalent to educational qualifications required for admission to Ph.D. programmes as per given above.
- The candidates must have a minimum of two years of full-time work experience in a relevant field after the qualifying degree
- Certificate of good conduct and character from the Head of Institution last attended.
- Three reference letters.
- Students shall be governed by ordinance/ regulations in vogue.
- The Institute has the right to cancel, at any stage, the admission for the candidate who is found admitted to a course to which he/she is not entitled, being unqualified or ineligible in accordance with the statues and regulations in force.
- Disputes if any, arising out of or relating to any matter whatsoever, concerning the aforesaid shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of Roorkee Court.
Syllabus – CSE (Last year)
For more details of IIT Roorkee Ph.D (Spring Semester) Admission 2017 – Download Information Brochure.