IIT Roorkee released a notification for admission to Ph.D. programmes for Autumn Semester of the session 2018-19 in all the departments and centers of the institute. Eligible & Interested candidates can read all the necessary details regarding IIT Roorkee Ph.D. (Autumn Semester) Admission 2018 such as how to apply online, eligibility criteria, fee, and selection process on this page.
IIT Roorkee Ph.D. Admission 2018 – Autumn Semester
IIT Roorkee Ph.D. Admission 2018 registration process has been started as per the schedule for admission to Ph.D. programmes for Autumn Semester for the session 2018-19, candidates who are seeking admission to Ph.D. programmes should fill and submit the application before the last date. Candidates can avail the ongoing online application facilities to get themselves enrolled for Ph.D. Admission 2018 at IIT Roorkee.
Schedule for IIT Roorkee Ph.D. Admission 2018 for Autumn Semester is given below.
|Start of filling up of online application form||26 Feb 2018|
|Last date for filling up the online application form||20 Mar 2018|
|Last date for receiving of downloaded Application Form at PG Admission Office, IIT Roorkee||26 Mar 2018|
Shortlisted candidates for Interview/Written Test
IIT Roorkee has published a list of shortlisted candidates for Interview and/or written test for Ph.D. Admission 2018-19 after thoroughly scrutinizing the applications submitted by candidates for different departments. Those candidates who had submitted the application can check whether or not their name have been included in the list. Click on the below link to check the same.
Shortlisted Candidates: Click here to check the list.
IIT Roorkee has issued an application form for Ph.D. programmes for Autumn Semester of the session 2018-19. Candidates need to register and fill the application and deposit of application fee online from only by accessing the website. Fees can be paid online using net banking or debit/credit card facilities. Candidates can now apply on the official website of IIT Roorkee or by a direct link which is provided below.
Application process has been closed.
The application process shall be considered complete only when a print out of the filled ONLINE application with the candidate’s signature, and a good quality photo affixed in the appropriate places is sent to the Institute along with necessary documents/testimonials.
- For Gen/OBC candidates: Rs. 200/-
- For SC/ST/PD category candidates: Rs. 100/-
The candidates can deposit the requisite application fee by using net banking or debit/credit card facilities. Additional charges will be applicable as per the rule of the concerned bank. If candidate opts for more than one department/centre, then application fee should be paid in accordance to the number of department/centre. Separate application (Hard copy) with necessary documents/testimonials be sent for each department/centre.
How to apply
The candidate is required to register and fill the application online on or before the last date from the official website or apply online link given above.
Before applying, candidates are advised to read the all the details carefully. Candidates must follow the following Steps while applying online application form.
Step 1: Apply for Ph.D. programmes
- Apply online
- Finalize Application Form
- Pay online fees
- Download application form.
Step 2: Paste your recent photograph (3.5 cm X 3.5 cm) at the designated place. Sign at the designated place.
Step 3: Post/Submission
On the top of envelop, the following should be written: ‘Application for Ph. D. Admission for Autumn Semester 2018-19’. Other relevant documents as indicated below should be enclosed:
- GATE/NET Certificate.
- Copies of all the mark sheets, degree certificates, or provisional certificate if they have passed their qualifying degree.
- M.Sc. Degree holders should submit the proof of mathematics as a subject at bachelor’s level. The applicability of this requirement is specified in the Discipline wise Minimum Educational Qualification.
- Copy of OBC/SC/ST/PD category certificate if any).
- Copy of experience of two years and NOC from the employer, in case the candidate is sponsored.
Duly filled-in Application form with appropriate enclosures must be sent by Speed Post by Registered Post/handed over to PG ADMISSION OFFICE, INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY ROORKEE, ROORKEE-247667, UTTARAKHAND so as to reach on or before the last date.
No Hard copy of the application shall be accepted after the due date/time. The Institute shall not be responsible for any delay regarding reaching of the application. If the last date happens to be non working day/a holiday then next working day shall be considered as last due date/time.
The applicant for admission to the Ph.D. programme shall be classified under any one of the following categories which will be decided and recommended by DRC/CRC.
Full-time Research Student/ Candidate
- Research student/Candidate getting Institute MHRD assistantship.
- Research student/Candidate including foreign nationals getting financial support from Govt. / Semi Govt. agencies (QIP, CSIR, UGC, NET, DAE, DST, DBT, NBHM, ICCR, ICAR, ICMR, GPAT, NDF, INSPIRE etc.).
- Research student/Candidate including foreign nationals supported by a sponsoring organization, the applicant (Sponsored Research Student/ Candidate) having TWO years experience out of which at least ONE year experience with the sponsoring agency at the time of registration for Ph.D. Programme.
- Research student/candidate regularly working full time in an R & D project at IITR. His Ph.D. topic shall conform to the project as certified by the SRC
Part-time Research Student/ Candidate:
- Research student/Candidate working as a regular employee of the Institute.
- Research student/Candidate working in other organizations/institutes, approved by IIT Roorkee as Research Centre or having MoU for research purposes.
An applicant belonging to the above admission categories should possess the following qualifications in appropriate areas to be eligible to apply for admission for the Ph.D. programme of the Institute.
- Masters degree or equivalent in respective discipline with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 6.00 on a 10 point scale or equivalent as determined by the Institute wherever letter grades are awarded; or 60% marks in aggregate (of all the years/semesters) where marks are awarded, for the GENERAL (UR) category and qualified national level graduate entrance test: GATE/UGC-NET/CSIR-NET or equivalent or holding a national level fellowship. The condition for national level graduate admission test is not applicable to sponsored full-time and part-time research candidates. or
- B.Tech. / B.Arch. degree or equivalent in respective discipline from CFTIs with the excellent academic record (with a minimum CGPA of 7.00 on a 10 point scale or 70% marks) with GATE. Graduates from the IITs getting a CGPA score of 8.00 or above (on a scale of 10) would be entitled to the assistantship without having to appear in GATE. or
- The candidates pursuing master’s programs in Engineering or Architecture from IIT Roorkee having CGPA of at least 8.50 on a 10 point scale (after first year/ completing all courses) shall have a choice of internal lateral entry in to Ph.D. programme after completing all requirements of the first two semesters of first year of the Master’s programme.
The admission eligibility requirements may be relaxed to 5.5 on a 10 point scale or equivalent, or to 55% marks in the following categories:
- SC/ST candidates with Master’s degree or equivalent degree.
- Any category of PD (Persons with different abilities) candidate holding Master’s degree or equivalent degree.
Eligibility for Part-time Ph.D.
- The applicant possesses the minimum entry qualifications for the degree as given above.
- The applicant proves that his official duties permit him to devote sufficient time to research.
- He / She will be required to reside at the Institute for a period till he/she is admitted for candidacy. (This condition of minimum residency period will be automatically waived for candidates who are working in Roorkee or in Organizations / Institutions located within a distance of 100 km from the Institute).
- The facility of part-time registration will also be available to all employees of the IIT Roorkee or candidates working in organizations having MoU with IITR or organizations approved by IIT Roorkee as Research Centres. Such applicants are exempted from the requirement of having GATE/NET/GPAT.
- The applicants must have been in continuous service with the sponsoring organization for at least two years at the time of registration for admission.
- The candidates working in Institute/ University awarding Ph.D. degree itself are not eligible for admission as a part-time or full-time candidate if facilities are not available except QIP candidates.
An employee seeking admission to the Ph.D. programme with a minimum of two years service in an organization or confirmed regular employee shall submit ‘No Objection Certificate’ from the employer to the effect that the duties allotted by the employer will allow the required time for this pursuit.
The candidate seeking admission to Ph.D. programme as project fellow (JRF/SRF) either as full-time or part-time research scholar, shall be allowed to register for Ph.D. at the beginning of the next semester, if the candidate is selected in project as project fellow through proper selection, i.e, proper advertisement of project fellowship and selection by the committee constituted as per Institute rules. The candidate shall register with the PI as a supervisor. If the candidate is not selected in the project through proper advertisement or the candidate wants to switch over to MHRD assistance, he/she has to appear for Ph.D. selection along with other candidates provided he/she has ‘No-Objection Certificate’ from the PI.
The project fellows shall be allowed to register for Ph.D. only if the remaining period of the project is at least 1½ years at the time of admission. These candidates are also eligible for MHRD assistantship for a maximum period of TWO years once their project is completed provided the essential qualifications for MHRD assistantships are met. The candidate has to apply for MHRD assistantship through SRC.
Few things to be kept in mind are:
- The candidates are advised to read each and every instruction given in this Information Brochure very carefully before applying Online.
- All entries should be carefully made while applying online. IIT Roorkee will not be responsible for wrong entries. Candidates shall be sole responsible for the correctness and authenticity of the information / documents provided in the online application.
- Online application submitted by the candidates shall be considered final and binding. Requests for making correction in the online application shall not be entertained.
- Online application found incomplete in any form will be summarily rejected. No correspondence / communication will be entertained in this regard.
- The last date for submission of online application shall not be extended. Accordingly, no request shall be entertained for accepting the application after the last date. IIT Roorkee will not be responsible for technical error while making the online application / payment of fee. Therefore, candidates are advised to submit their application well in advance and not to wait for the last moment.
- Online applications will be scrutinized, relevant documents checked / verified for their authenticity.
- Admission will be offered subject to availability of seats, faculty in the Specialization and the Institute Assistantship. 8. Students shall be governed by ordinance/ regulations in vogue.
- The Institute has the right to cancel, at any stage, the admission for the candidate who is found admitted to a course to which he/she is not entitled, being unqualified or ineligible in accordance with the statues and regulations in force.
- Disputes if any, arising out of or relating to any matter whatsoever, concerning the aforesaid shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of Roorkee Court.
- Hostel Accommodation will be provided, if available.
Official website: pgadm.iitr.ernet.in.
For more details regarding IIT Roorkee Ph.D. Admission 2018, candidate can Download Information Brochure.