CLAT 2017 is the largest law entrance exam in India. The Common Law Admission Test serves as gateway for admission to eighteen National Law Universities (NLUs). Each year one of the NLUs organize the test on an all-India basis; this year CNLU will look after the exam arrangements. Date of CLAT 2017 exam is tentatively decided as 14 May 2017. It will be a computer based test. All students interested in pursuing a career in law field can apply for Common Law Admission Test CLAT 2017 as per dates announced. There are to be separate exams for under graduate and post graduate admissions.
Latest – Notice regarding Age Criteria for CLAT 2017 is released. Check Here
Insofar the organizing NLU, Chanakya National Law University Patna, has announced that date of exam is 14 May 2017. Also they have indicated that complete details of CLAT 2017 will be available in December 2016.
For the purpose of helping out candidates looking out early for information on CLAT 2017, key details of the exam as per last year’s brochure have been compiled here for reference.
CLAT 2017 is the tenth Common Law Admission Test. CNLU Patna is conducting CLAT 2017. Law aspirants who wish to get admission in the National Law Universities (NLUs) in UG or PG programmes must appear in CLAT 2017. Once the exam is conducted, CNLU will release answer key of CLAT 2017 and declare CLAT 2017 Result and Merit List. Get here complete details of CLAT 2017 including eligibility, important dates, online application form, admit card, results.
CLAT 2017 Important Dates
|Event Related to CLAT 2017||Dates|
|Notification for CLAT 2017||Dec 2016|
|Online availability of application forms, which interested candidates can fill to appear for CLAT 2017 (expected)||Dec 2016|
|Last date for submission of Application Form (expected)||Apr 2017|
|Download CLAT 2017 Admit Card (expected)||3rd week Apr 2017|
|Date of exam||14 May 2017|
|Publication of answer keys (expected)||2nd week of May 2017|
|Declaration of CLAT 2017 Result (expected)||3rd or 4th week of May 2017|
Candidates please may note some information of CLAT 2017 have been announced. Rest of CLAT 2017 details will be updated as per the last year. We will update the complete information here as soon as the information Brochure is released officially. Candidates are advised to keep visiting our website for latest information about CLAT 2017.
CLAT Application Form 2017
- Candidates must first determine their eligibility as given below for the Common Law Admission Test. Thereafter, they can fill in the online application form of CLAT 2017 at www.clat.ac.in.
- Once candidate has filled in each details asked in the form, he/she may have to upload necessary documents.
- Details such as candidate’s name, parents’ names, address, educational qualification, will have to be filled in the application form.
- Final stage of CLAT 2017 application form submission is to pay the application fees.
CLAT Eligibility Criteria
Last year candidate must had scored minimum
- For UG Courses: 45% marks (40% for SC / ST) in qualifying examination (i.e. 10+2).
- For PG Courses: 55% marks (50% for SC / ST) in qualifying examination (i.e., LL.B./Five-Year Integrated LL.B./any other equivalent examination).
Those appearing in qualifying examination in March/April of examination year are also eligible to apply. The result of qualifying examination shall be submitted by the candidate at the time of admission failing which the candidate shall be ineligible for admission to the Course.
Important points regarding CLAT 2017 Online Application Form
- You will have to submit correct and verifiable (data that matches with your official documents) in the application form of CLAT 2017.
- Application fee can be paid through challan, net banking, debit card, credit card. Before starting to fill the form, decide which mode of payment best suits you.
- Keep documents such as class 10th mark sheet, class 12th mark sheet and certificate (if already passed), degree certificate (if applying for PG) and other certificates handy while filling the CLAT Application Form.
- Another point to be clear about before filling the CLAT 2017 Form is your preference order for NLUs.
- You will have to enter all the National Law Universities in order of preference, and this cannot be changed after results are announced.
- Photograph and signature to be uploaded should be exactly as specified by the exam conducting body.
CLAT Admit Card 2017
After the application form submission process is completed, the next pre-examination activity is downloading CLAT Admit Card.
You will need the following details to download admit card of CLAT 2017.
- User ID,
CNLU will release CLAT Admit Cards for the tenth Common Law Admission Test in the month of April 2017 (expected). It is necessary to download the hall ticket before exam, check that details are correct in it, know the examination center.
- Candidate must go to take the test only at the test center that has been mentioned in his / her admit card.
- The hall tickets will be issued to such candidates who have submitted the online application form along with fees, before the last date. CLAT 2017 Admit card will be available for download at www.clat.ac.in as per the schedule given above.
- The candidate must remember enrolment / user ID and password, and must login periodically to see the status of his application, to download the admit card and to know the results later. He/she is also advised to keep visiting CLAT 2017 website for any query or updated information.
Examination is contemplated to be held in different cities in India. As per the available information there were around 45,000 applications in the CLAT-2016 and the examination was conducted at 158 Centers in 60 cities. Total 42,217 examinees appeared in CLAT-2016 Examination.
CLAT Mock Test is useful for candidates to get a hand on experience of the exam. Mock tests help students by giving them an opportunity to revise the syllabus well before the real examination.
- Click Here to try CLAT Mock Test Now.
CLAT Result 2017
- Answer sheets of candidates will be evaluated as per the final official answer key.
- Candidates will be able to check the CLAT 2017 Answer Key after the exam and raise objections wherever genuinely required.
- The CLAT exam conducting body will take objections into consideration and decide upon the final answers.
- Result of CLAT 2017 will be announced indicating ranks obtained by each candidate in the law entrance exam.
- Candidates will be able to log in to check their CLAT Result as per schedule.
Final score shall determine the performance of each candidate in the Common Law Admission test. CLAT 2017 Result will be declared as per the schedule given above. Separate merit lists are drawn for UG and PG programmes.
CLAT 2017 result will include Merit List (Category-wise) along with the notice to the candidates for indicating their choices of University preferences using online candidate portal.
CLAT Examination Pattern
As per the last year information, CLAT 2017 Exam Pattern indicates the number of questions to be asked in the CLAT question paper. CLAT 2017 exam will be held in the online mode (computer based test). NLUs shall also provide a mock test for CLAT 2017 preparation. Given here are complete details of the CLAT 2017 exam pattern such as the number of questions asked, marking scheme, duration.
There shall be a system of Negative Marking wherein 0.25 mark each will be deducted for each of the wrong answers to Multiple Choice Questions.
Pattern of questions for admission to UG Courses in CLAT exam 2017
|Total number of multiple-choice questions of one mark each||200|
|Duration of examination||Two Hours|
|Subject areas with weightage given as per the last year:|
|English including Comprehension||40 Marks|
|General Knowledge/ Current Affairs||50 Marks|
|Elementary Mathematics (Numerical Ability)||20 Marks|
|Legal Aptitude||50 Marks|
|Logical Reasoning||40 Marks|
The different subject areas of the examination are explained as under:
- English including comprehension
The English section will test the candidates’ proficiency in English based on comprehension passages and grammar. In the comprehension section, candidates will be questioned on their understanding of the passage and its central theme, meanings of words used therein etc. The grammar section requires correction of incorrect grammatical sentences, filling of blanks in sentences with appropriate words, etc.
- General Knowledge and Currents Affairs
As far as general knowledge is concerned, the candidates will be tested on their general awareness including static general knowledge. Questions on current affairs will test candidates on their knowledge of current affairs.
This section will test candidate’s knowledge on elementary mathematics, i.e. maths taught up to Class X.
- Legal Aptitude
This section will test candidate’s interest towards study of law, research aptitude and problem-solving ability. Questions will be framed with the help of legal propositions (described in the paper), and a set of facts to which the said proposition has to be applied. Some propositions may not be “true” in the real sense (e.g. the legal proposition may be that any person who speaks in a movie hall and disturbs others that are watching the movie will be banned from entering any movie theater across India for one year). Candidates will have to assume the “truth” of these propositions and answer the questions accordingly.
- Logical Reasoning
The purpose of the logical reasoning section is to test the candidate’s ability to identify patterns, logical links and rectify illogical arguments. It will include a wide variety of logical reasoning questions such as syllogisms, logical sequences, analogies, etc. However, visual reasoning will not be tested.
Pattern of questions for admission to PG Courses in CLAT exam 2017
The CLAT Question Paper for PG courses shall have the following pattern:
- Maximum Marks 150
- Duration of CLAT: 02:00 Hours
- Total Marks: 150
- Marks per question: 1
- Negative marking: 0.25 Mark/wrong answer to MCQ
|Other Law Subjects such as Contract, Torts, Criminal Law, International Law, Family Law, property Law, IPR etc.||50|
Note : The number of cities may be increased/decreased at the discretion of the Convener, Implementation Committee, CLAT-2017. If at any identified test centre number of candidates is found less than 100 that test centre shall stand abolished and the candidates opting such test centre shall be shifted to nearest test centre.
CLAT online counseling process shall start as per the schedule announced by the exam conducting body. All the candidates who have appeared in CLAT 2017 examination are advised to read carefully counseling and admissions instructions that will be available on the CLAT website after declaration of results, before proceeding for online counseling process.
List of Participating Universities
Last year the list of participating Universities in the order of their establishment are given below:
- National Law School of India University, Bangalore (NLSIU)
- National Academy of Legal Study & Research (NALSAR) University of Law, Hyderabad
- National Law Institute University, Bhopal (NLIU)
- The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata (WBNUJS)
- National Law University, Jodhpur (NLUJ)
- Hidayatullah National Law University, Raipur (HNLU)
- Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar (GNLU)
- Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University, Lucknow (RMLNLU)
- Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Punjab (RGNUL)
- Chanakya National Law University, Patna (CNLU)
- National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi (NUALS)
- National Law University Odisha, Cuttack (NLUO)
- National University of Study & Research in Law, Ranchi (NUSRL)
- National Law University & Judicial Academy, Assam (NLUJAA)
- Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University, Vishakhapatnam (DSNLU)
- Tamil Nadu National Law School (TNNLS)
- Maharashtra National Law University, Mumbai (MNLU)
- Maharashtra National Law University, Nagpur (MNLU)
Official Website of CLAT Exam: clat.ac.in.
If you have any queries regarding CLAT Exam, admissions, preparation; please ask here in comments below.