|Exam||Last Date||Apply Now|
|CAT||20 Sep 2017||Click Here|
|NMAT||03 Oct 2017||Click Here|
|SNAP||24 Nov 2017||Click Here|
|XAT||30 Nov 2017||Click Here|
Can I crack IIT JEE without coaching classes?
Most students decide to join coaching classes to prepare for IIT JEE Advanced exam. However, last year’s data of students who cleared the IIT JEE Advanced exam shows that more than 50% of the candidates had studied themselves, and not joined any coaching classes.
|Zone||Percentage of students who attended IIT JEE Coaching classes||Percentage of students who did self studies|
The data was published by JEE on the basis of information provided by students in their application forms. As some point out, often even if the students attend coaching clases, they chose not to mention so in the form. Thus the data might not be completely accurate. However, it brings us back to the same question – Can you crack IIT JEE without coaching classes?
Let us look into some pros and cons of the dilemma.
A STUDENT WHO DOES SELF STUDY vs A STUDENT WHO ATTENDS COACHING CLASSES.
Let A and B be two students. A decides to study on his own whereas B joins a coaching institute. The following advantages are on each student’s side.
- Student A gets more time to study as he does not have to waste time in travelling to and from the classes.
- Student A can attend school better as he does not have to worry about missing classes to attend coaching.
- Student B gets more guidance in the coaching institute and learns methods to face competitive exams.
- Student B faces the competition at institute level and can prepare for the competition.
Disadvantages for the students
- Student A might not realise that certain tips and tricks are needed to face the national level competitive exam.
- Student A might miss out on higher level study material and preparation methods.
- Student B might have less time left for self study and practise.
- Student B might feel intimidated and shy by other students and not be able to learn in a classroom environment.
Depending upon how the situation turns out, how many advantages and disadvantages are there for the individual, the outcome happens. Yes, it is absolutely possible that Student A may score more than Student B or even vice versa. It all depends on how the student has managed his resources and time.
HOW TO CRACK IIT JEE WITHOUT COACHING CLASSES?
These are some very important things you must do if you are doing self study.
- From the beginning, refer only important books. NCERT Class 11 and 12 books are most important while preparing for the entrance exam. Apart from that, select at most two reference books to prepare from.
- Manage time properly. Do not think that you have enough time. There is only enough time to study, practise and revise. Utilize every minute. If you are not attending coaching classes, time is in your favor.
- Use free online mock tests and other resources to assess yourself.
- Do not use the learn-by-heart method. You need to understand what you are studying. The IIT JEE Advanced exam tests your understanding and not how good you are at rote learning.
- Ask questions in class. Do not have any doubts in your mind. If there is any topic you cannot understand, ask your teacher.
- Solve previous year IIT JEE Papers. Though the questions are never repeated, you will get a very accurate idea of the level of questions asked.
- Do not skip any topic. Remember that all topics that are mentioned in the IIT JEE Advanced syllabus are important. Even if someone tells you that a particular topic is never asked in the exam, do not pay heed. It is important that you cover all topics.
SO IS IT POSSIBLE TO CRACK IIT JEE WITHOUT COACHING?
Not many students are confident about cracking the IIT JEE Exam without the help of fancy coaching classes. Mostly it is a concept built by peer pressure. When a student sees most of his friends scooting off to coaching, a feeling of missing out on something might creep up. But what they do not realize is that not everyone who is attending these classes is getting a great score in the IIT JEE Exam.
At the end of the day, a lot depends on the student’s aptitude and hard work. The teachers at schools, coaching can only guide and provide the correct resources. A student who is attending classes at school properly and diligently studying for the entrance exams can score as much and even higher than the best student in any given coaching class.
THEN WHY ARE THE TOPPERS ALWAYS FROM SOME COACHING CLASS?
The week that follows declaration of result, newspapers are flooded with pamphlets of coaching institutes. Each institute claims the JEE top rankers to be from their classes. Sometimes, the the same student’s photograph comes in multiple coaching classes advertisements. Ask yourself – Could the student have attended more than one coaching? NO! The data that these ads publish is only the half truth. Do not burden yourself with these questions.
Yes, it is absolutely possible to get a brilliant score in the IIT JEE Advanced exam without attending any coaching classes at all.
So buckle up! And start preparing!
If you have any queries, please feel free to ask in the comments below.